Shock Bushings

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Shock Bushings

Post by Horsehammerr »

I am in the process of complete renew rebuild of steering and upper control arm bushings on my '02 CC. In taking things apart I noticed the shock bushings were completely compressed to opposing ends and this with only the weight of the lower control arm pulling down. These are Bilstein B46-1410 HD's :shock: I wonder if 60,000 miles is the limit on these bushings? I'm having a major hard time finding replacements. Anybody have any ideas? I don't see any warranty on the bushings, only the shocks themselves. HELP
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Shock Bushings

Post by HenryJ »

Compressed is fine. Broken is not. They are just isolators to prevent metal to metal contact. As long as they are not loose, you are fine.

Keep in mind that you have spring pressure against them if you have the vehicle raised. They may be the stop for the suspension, instead of the a-arm bottoming on the stop.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK