I just got around to installing the kit today. Time was right about a day with normal breaks and taking it easy. That and it was my first one, and I am #### and like to make things look as nice as possible. I must say though, I really do like this kit. I would say 95% of what is needed is given to you. There are a few things I would suggest having on hand though:
• More zip ties – to secure the lines
• An ATM Add-A-Circuit
• Electrical Tape – I tapped the air hose to the compressor power wire to keep them together.
• Some misc. wire connectors/ends
• Heavy duty Velcro – I used this instead of screws to mount the gauge and compressor
First thing I did was mount the air bags. I ended up doing the driver’s side first, and then the passenger side. The driver’s side either needed to be compressed slightly in order to fit it between the spring and frame, or what I did, just support the truck and lower the axle slightly. The passenger side installed with no issues.
Once those were installed I started running the two lines to the t-fitting which I placed close to where the e-brake cable divides. The passenger line I ran over the frame rail and attached it to the EVAP vent solenoid bracket and then out on the driver’s side. You can see how I have the lines secured here.
I ran the two rear lines forward because I wanted to make sure I was going to have enough hose in the compressor kit to get me from the back seat of the cab, where I was mounting the compressor. Then, it was going up the rear pillar, follow the roof line, and then down the a-pillar before going outside the truck and to the rear. I ended up with a couple feet extra, after everything was said and done. Also, I wanted it far enough away from the wheel well to hopefully not get too much garbage flown at it from the tires.
I chose to install the compressor in-cab so it was out of the elements. It is a bit noisy, but it is only going to run when you have to set up your trailer, so not worried at all. I used the stud the rear seat connects to the body as a ground. I used an extra connector I had that was large enough to fit over the stud.
Running the line up from the compressor was easy. I just had to remove the rear grab handle, the clothes hook, the driver’s front seat belt, and the a-pillar plastic.
I was lucky enough to get the air hose through the firewall where the factory wire harness goes through, so no drilling was required there.
As far as power goes for the unit, I ended up using an add-a-circuit with the wiper motor circuit. The kit comes with a cheap metal pin to stick in the fuse box, but I think the add-a-circuit looks better and doesn’t seem as cheap. I chose the wiper motor circuit out of the fuse box for three reasons. One, it is only active with ignition on, which is what is needed. Two, the stock circuit is rated for 25 amps (the compressor circuit is fused at 15 amps). And three, I will not be using the wipers and the compressor at the same time, so no need to worry about overloading the factory circuit.
I ran all the wiring over in the right corner of the driver’s dash. For those familiar with where the tow/haul connector, or really, the center console wiring connector is at, this is where I placed it. Also over there is where I wired in the low pressure switch. After thinking about, it I could have skipped it and just kept an eye on the gauge and made sure it was at least at the minimum 10psi, especially since I had a problem with air leaking from the connection there.
After it was all connected up I aired the bags up to 10 psi and centered them on the brackets and tightened them down. Correction, tried to… I had to move a couple hose connections so they went into the connectors better and wouldn’t leak. Having the hose as straight as possible before the connection is the best thing I found out. After that was fixed everything went back together and I double checked the make sure everything was tight.
I did hook up and tow the trailer for a bit and I must say I was very impressed. I ended up setting the bags at 60psi and it gave it a level ride and being able to see my headlights on the road at night was great improvement.