problems with rough country 2.5 lift for 82-04

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

PoconoCrew

problems with rough country 2.5 lift for 82-04

Post by PoconoCrew »

anyone have problems with this lift its cause me quite a bit of aggravation my cvs are at a bad angle and throw grease out as they rotate the but gets pulled off due to the angle it has a dif drop bracket which is supposed to keep the cvs at a neutral angle but no bueno my next problem is that the inside of my tires are rubbing on the new upper control arms that came with the kit i was running 31x10.5 on stock wheels so i went to the yard and got some stock steelies with 235 75 15s on them they come away from the hub a bit more but are still rubbing please help the kit was purchased and installed at a local 4x4 shop but don't think they know what they are doing had it back 3 time and the have no clue called rough country they say they sell 90 of these kits a week and have never heard of these issues
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: problems with rough country 2.5 lift for 82-04

Post by _STUCKY »

Sounds to me like you need a few hose clamps, some grease, and a new set of wheels with different backspacing. It's the classic snowball effect. Everything you change will effect something someway somehow. Post some pictures of the problem areas, and we will be more able to help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is only one Blazer here running the RC lift. He would be your best input.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

I'm said blazer!

I put the 2.5" lift on my blazer my self. I am having a issue with the drivers CV boot. I had the issue prior to the lift so RC is not to blame. As for wheels, I put a set of Z28 Camaro rims on before the lift. The back spacing was 4.5" so I had no control arm issues. I did hear of a Zed that had control arm issues. I also didn't go full crank on the T-bars. (good choice in my opinion). 1/2" less than RC recommended. :angel:

Here is the info;

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8807

If you have any more questions I will do my best to answer them. I have had a lot of help from the gentlemen on here and will pay it forward as much as I can. :rock:
PoconoCrew

Post by PoconoCrew »

the t bars are barely tuned up rc recommends 21 inches ride height im at 20 i got new cvs and im going to try a set of 2 inch adapters to see if that fixes my prob hopefully that solves the issue but who knows this is kind of a nightmare truck thanks for the input ill try to get some pics up over the weekend so 4.5 would be the correct back spacing is it just the z28 rims with that bs or are there others
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

4.5 is not perfect. With 33's the tires rub the frame. There are aftermarket steel rims out there too. I don't know what 2wd trucks have for back spacing.

Pics are always good.
PoconoCrew

Post by PoconoCrew »

i put the 2" adapters on the solved my problem of rubbing now just to put in the new cvs and hope they hold up i planned on putting pics up for you guys but i dropped my phone and its in pieces all pics were on it thanks again for the help
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Pics are still required. New phone or old camera! :lol: