2.5 rc lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2.5 rc lift

Post by mfulaytar »

Hey guys I'm new here and I will be getting a 03 s10 crew cab 4x4 this Thursday to replace my car that some idiot totaled. Some of the CCs that I have seen look pretty BA but the one that I'm getting was owned by an older fellow who took really good care of it, but it is completely stock. My problem is that I don't have $3,000 to drop on a nice suspension lift. So what I was thinking was I could get the RC 2.5" installed because it's a lot cheaper and then crank my torsion up a little and put on a 2" body lift. If I do all that I could get maybe 5.5" of lift or better. what do you guys think is this a good course of action? I'm about to start college so remember my budget is incredibly tight. Thanks guys.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 2.5 rc lift

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the marvelous Mystery Lift ( MML )
Skip the 2.5 RC kit , IMO. All it is a a crank beyond what the suspension can handle.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

what do you think about going straight for the RC 6" lift?
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Read the second last post here;
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8982

Final tire size will determine amount of lift required.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mfulaytar wrote:what do you think about going straight for the RC 6" lift?
I think it is the quick way to move to your next rig. Most that have done it don't last long. They sell the rig and get something else.
Superlift is a good lift, but going SFA is nearly the same price and more robust.
MML for me.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

I have some mechanical ability but not enough to do a sfa. Don't think any mechanics around me would know how. Can't find a detailed write up on it. I'm still unclear on what the marvelous mystery lift is, and yes I've seen the thread. I've gathered that it isn't a kit, it's a bunch of crap you have to get separately. I just don't know what to do....
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I mean this in the nicest way.... The bolt on lift kits are a bunch of crap....

You won't find a how to on axle swaps.
LMs10CrewCab
Crew
Crew

Post by LMs10CrewCab »

I am hoping to do a solid axle swap by next year, here are two my favorite build threads, they are very good builds - each of them has around only 5 to 6" lift in the front. They show every part needed and the pictures really help too!

KM346's build
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/km34 ... or-496314/

2002 Crew Cab build
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/02-c ... ap-487536/

Lately there have been more and more guys doing small lift solid axle swaps, they have been keeping them under 6" all the time.
I recently bought this SAS kit:

This is the Off road direct solid axle swap kit, the cool part about it is that it is COMPLETELY bolt on! You will have a little welding like spring perches and stuff but otherwise the cross member, shackle hangers, shock hoops all bolt on, it is a great kit for even someone like me who does not have welder to get started.
I am planning a dana 30 yj wrangler axle front and d35 or ford 8.8 rear both in the 4.10 gear ratio with around 5" lift front, 6" lift back.
Hope that info helps!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mfulaytar wrote:... I'm still unclear on what the marvelous mystery lift is, and yes I've seen the thread. I've gathered that it isn't a kit, it's a bunch of crap you have to get separately. I just don't know what to do....
Body lift, shocks, bigger tires t-bar adjust, springs or shackles and fender cuts. Maximum ground clearance with a low center of gravity.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

HenryJ wrote:
mfulaytar wrote:... I'm still unclear on what the marvelous mystery lift is, and yes I've seen the thread. I've gathered that it isn't a kit, it's a bunch of crap you have to get separately. I just don't know what to do....
Body lift, shocks, bigger tires t-bar adjust, springs or shackles and fender cuts. Maximum ground clearance with a low center of gravity.
The very best , most reasonable, non-wiseguy suspension mod, for great off-road use you can do. You will never wish you had done some other wacky mod. instead. You will be amazed. The only part I didn't do was the body lift, mine stayed on the hiway far more then off-road so no need for 33" tires, stayed at 30" and did not regret it. I've gone a total 180 and you can't even stand a soda can under my frame now. But, for your direction MMV mod. is it.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

Thankyou guys for your responses!
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

HenryJ wrote:
Henry regarding shocks on the mml, do they have to be bilsteins or can I get rancho or procomp. And if they do have to e bilsteins, which ones specifically.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mfulaytar wrote:Henry regarding shocks or the mml, do they have to be bilsteins or can I get rancho or procomp. And if they do have to e bilsteins, which ones specifically.
How long do you plan to keep the truck?
Bilstien is a lifetime shock. Not just the warranty, they really do last that long. It is in the patented design. Ride like a Cadillac and perform like a trophy truck. Tons of threads include the part numbers. I don't know them off the top of my head. They are the Bilstein HD shocks.

Rancho is very harsh and will be gone in a year. Procomp similar only softer. If you only plan to keep it a couple years , go with the cheaper shocks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

HenryJ wrote:How long do you plan to keep the truck?
Bilstien is a lifetime shock. Not just the warranty, they really do last that long. It is in the patented design. Ride like a Cadillac and perform like a trophy truck. Tons of threads include the part numbers. I don't know them off the top of my head. They are the Bilstein HD shocks.

Rancho is very harsh and will be gone in a year. Procomp similar only softer. If you only plan to keep it a couple years , go with the cheaper shocks.
I will have atleast four years until I finish college. not sure about after that. I don't really want to get rid of it after that but who know. I just ordered the procomp es9000. they got good reviews. I also ordered some shackles and torsion keys. they were cheaper than the springworks.... if I end up keeping the truck however I will most likely go that route.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keys may be a fail. Stock keys can already go beyond what balljoints and cv can handle. Cancel or return those if you can.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re:

Post by mfulaytar »

HenryJ wrote:Keys may be a fail. Stock keys can already go beyond what balljoints and cv can handle. Cancel or return those if you can.
How much should I crank the stock keys on it? Is enough to gain two inches safe?
Blacknoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Blacknoma »

If you don't mind changing out balljoints with every other oil change... and waiting for your CV's to die... you can get 2" no problem.

I have a ZR2 that had 210k on it. I cranked the t-bars to level with my 2" lift shackles... one of my CV's died immediately and my balljoints need to be changed every other oil change, or after a wheeling weekend... Other than that, I still put 30k on it and was able to run 33's with 4.5" backspaced rims... with trimming... Retired her and prepping for SAS.

My brother ran 31's on his stock wheels on a regular 4x4 blazer with his t-bars maxed out and 2" lift shackles. very small amount of trimming and he even took out his bump stops for more articulation. His CV's never died, but balljoints were the same. He was happy with it for a couple of years...

If you want to keep it cheap, go the 2" BL route so you can keep your IFS... but once you start craking on those Tbars, after a couple of years you will want to go SAS.

The ORD SAS hanger "kit" for fairly cheap, but it's not a one stop shop...
'00 ZR2 Noma - home-built goodies here and there. Toy
'03 ZR5 S-10 - Stock
'04 4x4 Blazer - t-bar crank to level on 30x9.5's
'83 4x4 IH S1824 - Tow-rig
'13 LiFan 320 - China copy of mini cooper. 1.3l 5-speed, 89hp getting 52mpg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Re:

Post by HenryJ »

mfulaytar wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Keys may be a fail. Stock keys can already go beyond what balljoints and cv can handle. Cancel or return those if you can.
How much should I crank the stock keys on it? Is enough to gain two inches safe?
Adjust to the maximum Z height spec. Those are listed on the Modifications information page.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

Thanks guys
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Listen to these guys so you don't throw your money away.

Leave it stock or MML or axle swap. Or do it in that order.
Blacknoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Blacknoma »

x2
'00 ZR2 Noma - home-built goodies here and there. Toy
'03 ZR5 S-10 - Stock
'04 4x4 Blazer - t-bar crank to level on 30x9.5's
'83 4x4 IH S1824 - Tow-rig
'13 LiFan 320 - China copy of mini cooper. 1.3l 5-speed, 89hp getting 52mpg
SoCalUrb

Post by SoCalUrb »

Hey guys, I'm new here, does your advice still stand even with the updated RC 2.5 (242N2) , it lowers the diff a keeps the cv angles.... ???