Nearing completion of a big crew lift < need help with tank!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

cellardoor420
Regular
Regular

Nearing completion of a big crew lift < need help with tank!

Post by cellardoor420 »

So I've been putting this truck together for a bit now, its been good to finally drive it around. I was gone this summer but now I have had time to get it mostly together so I thought I would post some pics. I'm not a great photographer so some of the pics have descriptions to help with what your looking at. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated! It has been through some minimal wheeling since being finished.. I need to get quick disconnects for the front sway bar. Most parts for the build came from used rigs and the local yards. It was a fun build! If I did it again i would go strait for straight axle swap.. too late.

I still have some lingering issues:
I can't fit the sway bar around the moser dif cover. I have given up on making my own brackets, I might just leave it off. Another option is to get a smaller diff cover..

The gas tank has busted 2 times on this truck, both times the plastic nozzle that hooks to the filler hose. I was able to find a new tank last time, but I'm wondering if anyone has found an aluminum tank from another year or vehicle that will fit?

Nearly broke the tbar crossmember trying to install the tbars without a GM torsion bar puller.. I have a replacement ready to go in when I can find some used torsion bar relocators.

Airbag light goes on and off. Clock spring?

Rear axle is leaking out the wheel bearings. It was leaking badly out of one side so i replaced both axles, bearings and seals on the swap, but it still leaks slowly out of one side. Like 1 drop every 2 weeks. I'm about to tear it all apart again but I'm waiting to see if it will stop.

I'm running a 190* therm with a hypertech programed to 190* and it was slightly overheating when sitting in traffic when its 100*+ outside. It would never get to hot but it would run from 200-220*s. It had a minor case of dex-mud so I got the gm fluid and flushed the block, the core, and replaced the radiator because I realized it was cracked as I cleaned it. It hasn't driven as hot since but I have not been driving it everyday in the heat because I want to figure out the rear axle bearing leak. Still heater does not seem to work.

I have the dual efans from a camaro for the conversion but I'm curious if anyone has done this conversion with a lift?

Pics were taken a while ago but only difference now is it has some dark tinted windows, cowl hood, and the boise kit.

I still need to do some things, engine mounts soon, power steering pump soon. I want to fab a winch mount bumper, fix the dent by the gas hole, find some of those tbar relocators, dual exhaust, tonneau. I would also like to find a snorkel, cut in a sunroof, and fab a power rear window.. someday.

I'm also looking to trade my rear leather seat for a cloth one.

http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/cella ... ZR5%20BAJA

List of mods installed:
6" superlift FIT (used. had to be sanded, coated, welded, and some parts ordered from superlift)
2" PA body lift
2" shackles
Boise Spring Kit (new)
35x12.5 BFGs
15x8 vette rims
Goodrich steel brake lines (new, custom +6". these are awesome. but took months, one came broken, and was replaced for free)
3" spacers up front, 1.5" spacers rear (tread width 77" front and back)
bilsteins (new)
superlift steering stabilizer (new)
flaming eagle u-joint (new)
full size bump stops
all polyurethane bushings (new. all control arms, sway bar, steering links, leaf springs)

Moser rear diff cover (new)
ZR2 rear axle
ZR2 fender flares (what a pain to install)
ZR2 skid plates shields (fiberglass)

Welded a special section for my exhaust to avoid the front drive shaft
air box mod with K&n filter
relocated IAT to air box
throttle blade mod
190* therm (new, no dexcool)
Hypertech programmer
vacuum solenoid upgrade (new)

gap guards
billit grill
overhead console with trip comp
auto dim mirror
luxury sun visors
dual power outlet
steering wheel radio controls (didn't work - i have the plug on the stock harness but no fuse or upper wire harness form fuse box to radio)

new:
radiator
oil lines
heavy duty tie rods and ends with poly grease boots
bearings all around
rear axle shafts, bearings, seals
cv axles
4 ball joints
stator
alternator
coils
plugs
belt
idler pulley
Last edited by cellardoor420 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Nearing completion of a big crew lift

Post by Indigo04 »

You can flush your heater core by removing both lines and tuning a water hose loose on one of the sides at a time. When I had my crew I did this and tons of junk shot out of the core.
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
mfulaytar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mfulaytar »

looks sweet man... really want to do the superlift on mine
Diverdmt

Post by Diverdmt »

Building my 2003 crew black on black and wanting to do the ZR2 rear end and front pumpkin change for the 3.73's. Is the rear end a little longer or same length? Plus I have donar ZR2 blazer flares as well. Bought a salvage ZR2 with crack in frame on front.
Tom.
cellardoor420
Regular
Regular

Post by cellardoor420 »

i believe the zr2 rear is 3" wider than the front. 1.5" on each side. I have 3" spacers on the front and 1.5" spacers on the zr2 axle and my tread width front and back is right at 77".
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Cellardoor420. I don't see your location. Are you stil wanting to trade your leather rear seat for a fabric one?
cellardoor420
Regular
Regular

Post by cellardoor420 »

Already traded it out, sorry
cellardoor420
Regular
Regular

Re: Nearing completion of a big crew lift < need help with t

Post by cellardoor420 »

I have a later model plastic tank that has broken at the nozzle. I want to convert to a metal one and have been struggling to find info on the swap.

What do I have to switch out to go with the steel or aluminum tanks? (Fuel pump, down spout, straps, sending unit, etc..??)
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-S-10- ... aa&vxp=mtr

Any help would be appreciated.
Diverdmt

Post by Diverdmt »

Do you have any ppics of the ZR2 flares on rear? Did you install Z flares all the way around or just bushwackers?
Tom 270-556-5340
Williamsburg, VA
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

The ICV valve replacement fixes the cracked filler neck on the plastic tanks. Was a great solution for me and others. There’s a company making metal replacements for the plastic tanks but the cost is high.