Read driveshaft

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Read driveshaft

Post by jedthrocornpone »

So it's time to replace the rear shaft. TC is changing and I'm debating on switching to a 2 piece shaft. I need Pro's and Con's
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Read driveshaft

Post by Horsehammerr »

What's the problem with your rear shaft ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Aluminum shaft is fine ditched the slip yoke
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I am planning for a 1 piece shaft. I went with a jbconversions super short sye. I'm really hoping to not need to change the plan again.

What are you doing?
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

1 pc would have fewer points to fail... But is wicked long and most shops are saying 3.5 or4" tube

Was wondering if making it a 2 pc might give me fewer things to catch the underbelly on and allow a smaller dia tube

I would end up having to change yokes too as mine currently is a 1310cv yoke
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So what are you doing? Sfa? Inquiring minds... Let's hear the details

:wave:
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Quickand dirty SFA Who is done almost a year ago, Now I am repurpose and parts from another project
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I'm at 64.75 in yoke to flange..... That crazy long the local driveline guy was not into it at all....

So can a guy run a standard 1310 tube yoke and joint using u joint u bolt straps? The joint is the same size, the difference is the CV yoke has smooth holes requiring a nut to retain the strap, and the non cv ones I've seen are threaded ..... Any thoughts???

Local guy doesn't think it will ever balance out, he can balance it on his machine flat but once in phase on the truck it will always be trying to tear itself apart
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

the auto-correct is making me angry
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Can you give more details? What sye did you do to the tcase? What rear axle? What yokes/flanges do you have? What yokes/flanges are you wanting to run?

You can make anything you want, just need to find the right combo for what you are doing.

For me, I did the jbconversions super short sye, I put the front output from a 94 np233c in along with a 1350 ubolt style yoke, I'm currently waiting on a 1350 ubolt style yoke for the rear of the tcase, and both axles have a 1350 ubolt style yoke on them. I plan to use 88-94ish k1500 front driveshafts for the slip splines (32 spline), and I ordered 1350 slip yokes for those. I pulled a driveshaft from a wrecked short bus for the driveshaft yokes.

I'd suggest clicking around on dennysdriveshafts and jbconversions to look at yokes and other stuff that's available.

As for you original question about 1 or 2 piece driveshaft, I've been crossing my fingers that my shop will make me a 1 piece shaft, but I know in the back of my mind, they probably won't want to. Worst case scenario, for me, I'll go back to the junkyard and grab some more bus parts and make it 2 piece. I don't want to do that though.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

SQL failure? Wish I knew what that is all about....
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

It's a jbconverstions super short, was going into a reg can short bed but that's been shelved. Has 1310 CV on front and rear outputs. Rear axle is a 8.8 large flange 1 piece measured out at 64.75 yesterday when I mocked it up.

Driveline guy flipped out rotational mass and tube dia. Tom Woods was more than happy to make a 1 pc, I have yet to drag the giant aluminum one on anything (that I can tell).

That and all the carrier bearing failures I've been reading about have me equally spooked

It's stock springs SUA rear and it will not be getting any taller, I'm getting to old to be climbing into rigs.

I think I'm going to order a TW shaft and get moving forward. Burning too much daylight on this. If it shakes like a Chihuahua after 6 espressos I will have it cut and use the parts as a start to a 2 pc
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

My iPhone put a smiley in my response and the board wouldn't post it, learn something new every day