Crew cab and bed on Zr2 frame?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

krector88

Crew cab and bed on Zr2 frame?

Post by krector88 »

I have an 02 blue Zr2 with a 6 inch superlift, 2 inch body lift, 35x12.5 with 96,000 miles. I bought her in 2006 and slowly built it into what it is today. I just bought an 02 blue zr5 with a 2 inch body lift, 31x10.5 with 160,000 miles. I'd like to put my quad cab and bed on my Zr2 frame. If anyone already knows what I'm up against, or if anyone has any tips on this matter, I would greatly appreciate any help I could get.
2" body lift, 31x10.5, American Racing wheels, Zr2 front/rear diff. swap, track bar, Zr2 fenders & flares, Airaid intake, TB spacer, throttle blade mod, MAF screen delete, quad beam mod, HID headlights, Euro taillights, bull bar, 50" light bar, JVC DVD player, Focal speaker upgrade, 12" Solobaric L7, tinted windows, Viper alarm, Rancho shocks & stabilizer, tubular upper C/A, Flomaster dual exhaust, grey on black interior swap, roof mounted gun rack
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Crew cab and bed on Zr2 frame?

Post by ApproachMedium »

You are up against the frame cracking/breaking behind the rear mount of the lower control arms and the welds for the lower control arm mounts breaking. Catch it quick, weld beef up and fix maybe okay. otherwise you could end up wasting a lot of time swapping all of that stuff over. I dont recommend anything with a zr2 frame you are better off just working with what you have on the crew cab. With all of the mods i have i ended up getting a small frame crack like the ZR2s start with when the weld broke on my lower control arm but i think thats because im pushing 300k on my frame, over 300hp out of my motor ive got 30 inch ties and i now and then drive it thru NYC.

The only real difference between the ZR2 frame and the crew frame is the front control arms stick out farther which is what i think pushes the frames to crack so soon. Many of them happen under 100k, so id check yours out. If you have any squeaking from the front end that could be it.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ