Zr5 prerunner

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Zr5 prerunner

Post by southernzr5 »

Hello all, I have a few questions to ask.
First off I own a 2003 zr5, currently running 30" bfg's. I would like to be able to run 31's with
Enough clearance to not have the stuffed look. I would like it to sit like a zr2, maybe even 1" or so higher.
Anyways my whole front end is shot, so I opted to buy the 2.5" rough country because its got the UCA with balljoints. Well, I spent yesterday afternoon pulling the front chunk, and after getting it out, I had the thought how I didn't want to do that again or even put the thing back in. Plus there's a lot more room under there with that thing out. Then I got to thinking, what if I just made my truck into a prerunner(I never use 4wd) like Toyota's and even the 2wd zr2 blazer. My idea is to add a zr2 rear axle with electric locker and a hidden winch mount in the front bumper.

If I decided to pull my transfer case, does anyone know what longer driveshaft will fit or will it have to be custom made?
Is it possible to put 2wd hubs on with lift spindles and still keep torsion susupension?

Just some brainstorming questions, thanks for any replies.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

You would probably need to do a 2 piece driveshaft. The stock rear shaft is already ridiculously long. If memory is correct, the place that built my driveshafts after my axle swap said that they won't build any driveshafts with more than 4 foot of tube, and mine was very close. I believe the extended cab 2wd trucks had 2 piece shafts with a cv in the middle.

Personally, if I was doing what you are wanting to do, I would probably get it all done, take it out and get stuck in wet grass and wish I'd of left the 4wd :mrgreen:

Other than that, I'm not much help.

:wave:
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Zr5 prerunner

Post by southernzr5 »

lol i'll probably do the same thing. But i'm just thinking long term as well. I would like to possibly do a v8 swap and I know without the front axle it gives me more room for the oil pan. And then eventually go sfa.
I'll more than likely just leave the transfer case in. Will that pose any problems doing that, with the output shaft exposed?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I believe that in stock form the front tcase output seals and wouldn't be a problem. However, my extent on using that output is no troubles until the axle swap then I took it all out. Worst case scenario, get a jeep fixed front output with a yoke and just put it in. You'd still have the advantage of low range as well.
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Zr5 prerunner

Post by southernzr5 »

so i'm assuming you can't put 2wd knuckles on a 4wd setup? is it because of the position of the balljoints?