Spark plugs

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I now have a couple months past a year on the Irridium Autolite XP plugs. That should be about 10k miles.
No difference from the last check. They read clean and no appreciable wear.
That is pretty good considering I run a MSD.
Two thumbs up so far. :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

So you're thinking that the Autolite XP plugs are better than the AC Delco rapid fire plugs?
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I kinda like the idea of using the AC Delco Rapid Fire platnium plugs, but when I searched for my 2003 S-10 with 4.3L engine (X Vin Code), it only offered the regular platnium plugs.

But, when I searched under 2001 S-10 with 4.3L, it showed a W Vin Code engine and did offer the Rapid Fire platnium plugs.

So, the question is...why???

Why would the Rapid Fire platnium plugs be available for the 2001 W Vin code engine, but NOT for the 2003 X Vin code engine???

Seems odd to me, unless there's some major difference in the 2003 model engine and earlier models.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:So you're thinking that the Autolite XP plugs are better than the AC Delco rapid fire plugs?
Yes. By design and the materials used.
Rockrz wrote:Why would the Rapid Fire platnium plugs be available for the 2001 W Vin code engine, but NOT for the 2003 X Vin code engine???
Listings may not be up to date or perfect.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, I looked in several different places and none are showing the rapid fire as being available for the 2003 year model.

Anyway, I'll probably go ahead and get the Autolite XP plugs since they've been working good for you and I know you've experimented with a few different brands....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

At twice the price I would have been very hesitant. Under $6 each is a pretty decent price as the Iridium plugs seem to go. Someday I would like to see a ND iridium spark plug. The price is too high to order a set for testing, but I would like to see the design. Several high end cars use them as a stock plug. I would like to see if they are that much better to deserve triple the price per plug.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Brule, how are the XP's holding up?

I need some new plugs for my Z and really want to try these plugs since they seem to have the best design available right now, but I have been burned so many times in the past experimenting with the different plug designs out there. :(

As you know most of the "fancy" plugs out there are garbage. :roll:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They have been doing great. Remember I am using the MSD, so wear should be accelerated.

I have not pulled one since May, but I have no reason to. The idle is smooth. It fires first rotation and mileage has been normal.

Definitely a good bang for the buck. They are half the price of some of the iridium plugs and I do think the design is superior. Right now they are my first choice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Anybody ever try those Spark Plugs by "E3"
( http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx? ... ilyid=1602 )

I was just reading their spill...reckon any of it is true???

Up to 13% better fuel economy than standard replacement plugs.

Increase horsepower as much as 12%.

Reduce emissions up to 58% over the life of the plug.

5 year/100,000 mile warranty - against wear, fouling and defects.

1. Corrosion Resistance
Nickel-plated terminal ends provide corrosion protection at your ignition system's main connection point.

2. Easy to Install and Remove
Rolled threads provide rounded edges that prevent the plug from "cutting" into and becoming seized in your cylinder head.

3. Projected Installation Tips
Promotes better spark zone refresh between power strokes.

4. Faster Starts with Less Plug Wear
Forged ground electrode provides superior spark for faster starts and less plug wear.

5. Maximized Performance
Spark gaps are optimized for your vehicle to provide the most efficient power.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Tried the E3's in small engines but nothing larger. Wasn't impressed there. I'll stick to my double platinum autolites. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
BlackDime
Regular
Regular

Post by BlackDime »

DLP wrote:Drivers side center plug replacement went easy after I made a tool for it. I have just about every extension and wobble adaptor made. None are as easy to use. I used a thinwall plug socket that has a 19 mm nut style head. I then took a cheap (Taiwan) 19 mm open end wrench and bent it in a 90*. It works just like a distributor wrench. Going in through the wheal well and up under the header the wrench has room to swing.
Possible you could get us a picture of your creation???
Jim

Re:

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:My recommendations would be:

MSD Super Conductor or Taylor Thundervolt spark plug wires

Accel cap & rotor

AC Delco double platinum or Rapid Fire platinum spark plugs

HenryJ is the only one here who has used the AC Delco platinums and Autolite iridium/platinums so he is the only one who can possibly answer your question about which one is better. :wink:

Steve
Just ordered some stuff for the Bravada, AC (Professional plugs), Accel cap and rotor, Talor spiro-pro wires.
Sure hope the distributor isn't cracked :!:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Re: Spark plugs

Post by michaelhrgn »

iam about to do new plugs in my cc soon HJ whats the best bang for buck in your opinion? under 5 bucks each
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Spend an extra $6
Autolite Iridium XP605 $5.79 each.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

wow iam lucky that what i bought(didnt see you post yet) and they where on sale 3.99
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

The XP605 work for me. Starts every time and keeps on ticking. :rah: :thumb:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

michaelhrgn wrote:... on sale 3.99
Excellent price. Where did you buy them?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The Autolite iridium plugs in my ZR2 & SS are doing well. Best plugs I've tried yet. Well worth the extra $.

Steve
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

auto zone
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Autolite special offers and rebates
Just picked up a set of Iridium XP plugs for the new truck. After the rebate they will be just over $3 each. That rebate ends in two days!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

yes sir, i just got my rebate back a couple days ago, i picked up some autolite platinums...
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

I assume Autolite Iridium XP605's are still the way to go and recommended?

I have been running Champion or NGK (just Autozone budget kind, I believe) along with Duralast plug wires. No major complaints, except kind of a bumpy idle which I thought was an 02 sensor, now I'm thinking may be my plug/wire set-up. (I've been happy with my results, averaged almost 19mpg in city with mixed highway use.)

For my next change up, I've been looking at the Taylor wires, I've read its recommended to get 8mm wires on here. I see Taylor makes 8.2mm and I've seen 8.5mm wires. Will they make that big of a difference? better or worse? Or are Taylors still up there as far as performance? I see MSD has a set, accel as well, are they pretty good?
2002 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I still like the Autolite XP and Taylor SpiroPro wires. 8mm work with the stock separators. Larger will not.

BTW, I went with the 409 wires for the HenryJ and Avalanche.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Still rockin the Autolite XP's in all 3 of my vehicles! I've got about 10k on them in my 88 S10 Blazer, 40k in my 96 Impala SS, and over 100k in my 05 ZR2. Even with 100k of use they still look pretty good and will probably last another 50k or so. Still the best spark plug I've tried yet!

MSD Super Conductor or Taylor Thundervolt are my top choices for plug wires.

Steve
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

just FYI, if anyone is interested in the Autolite's and needing spark plugs soon, they have a $2 dollar rebate per plug running til Nov. 30, 2012. I went through Rockauto, not sure if that matters.
2002 Crew Cab
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

I stuck a set of NGK G-Powers in the CC when I did the head gaskets/lim gaskets. Also NGK makes ACDdelco plugs...
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
Ar15 guy

Post by Ar15 guy »

I have always had good luck with NGK anything in my Chevys. I'll never run a Bosch plug in anything.