got an exhaust problem

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

got an exhaust problem

Post by Justin »

it sounds like i have a manifold leak :cry: . Will the dealer fix it for nothing (under warrranty) after I put the custom dual exhaust on?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Unless they can prove that your dual exhaust somehow caused your manifold to come loose, they should fix it under warranty. It may take a couple trips to a couple different dealerships, but you should be able to get it done under warranty.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I'm sure they will fix it under warrenty. AZS10 is right. The dealer would have to prove that your duals caused it. And where did you get dauls at. I want some! I just have the single outlet, looks to much like factory.

I WANT DAULS TOO. :twisted:
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

bought a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out and had 2.25" pipe ran through the back just like the stock as well as the other side. Then I had 3" Gibson Tips at the end. I don't personally like the job because he didn't use stainless steel. I plan on redoing my exhaust after I get a high flow cat and going to a really good exhaust shop and having them run stainless steel from the manifold back....
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Justin wrote:bought a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out and had 2.25" pipe ran through the back just like the stock as well as the other side. Then I had 3" Gibson Tips at the end. I don't personally like the job because he didn't use stainless steel. I plan on redoing my exhaust after I get a high flow cat and going to a really good exhaust shop and having them run stainless steel from the manifold back....

About how much did that setup cost?
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'd love to see some pics of how you routed the left side pipe :D . I've been looking at mine & the gas tank & brake hose are in the way to cross over in front of the rear :? , it looks like it needs to come over the rear then cross over behind the rear. But I have a rear sway bar. I've been considering the Flowmaster 70 series, 1 in 2 out since I dislike the V6 sound.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Just a thought...but I wonder if you could set it up like a Camaro with a Flowmaster 80 series? The 80 series for the F-Body has the in on the right hand side as you're looking at the rear, and an out on the left and right that would be directed out the back. If you remove the spare tire and do a little custom bracket work, I think it would fit up in there pretty nicely.
[size=75]Mark
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hobie suggested something like that a few months ago he said I should put the spare on a roof rack. Your suggestion sounds like it would work nice for a truck that doesn't need a spare or a two wheel drive that can run a small spare.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

total installed was about $300 . I ran the pipe just the same way as the passanger side and shoved it up in front of the axle as far up as possible. Some guy did it professionally on a sunday (a friend) and all we had was steel not stainless.. once i get the stainless ill have it redone. i feel embarrassed posting undercarrage pix if it is rusty by now :oops: but i will get them up as soon as possible
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

your embarrasseedd :oops: i backed my tail pipe into a log and bent the chrome tip all up, now the chrome has peeled off and looks trashy. i think i going to just hack off the chrome tip
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:oops: i backed my tail pipe into a log and bent the chrome tip all up
Don't go naked, go stainless! :oops:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Jim wrote:Hobie suggested something like that a few months ago he said I should put the spare on a roof rack. Your suggestion sounds like it would work nice for a truck that doesn't need a spare or a two wheel drive that can run a small spare.

Mine only came with a donut spare anyway. I took that off abut 2 weeks after I got the truck. Do you guys have full size spares?

a2b wrote:your embarrasseedd i backed my tail pipe into a log and bent the chrome tip all up, now the chrome has peeled off and looks trashy. i think i going to just hack off the chrome tip

Two words...turn down. :thumb:

I'll probably just get a Flowmaster or Gibson muffler and a turn down right before the axle. That way there's no worries about messing up chrome tips that are sticking out the rear end.
[size=75]Mark
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I have a full size spare unofrtunatly. i want a donut because if You can see in some of my rear end pictures, the tire hangs down a little. This is because I have the hidden hitch behind the roll pan and it is designed for use with a small spare tire or none at all. i may go to a junkyard at some point and look for a spare donut off some car and hopefully the bolt pattern matches. :?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Justin wrote:I have a full size spare unofrtunatly. i want a donut because if You can see in some of my rear end pictures, the tire hangs down a little. This is because I have the hidden hitch behind the roll pan and it is designed for use with a small spare tire or none at all. i may go to a junkyard at some point and look for a spare donut off some car and hopefully the bolt pattern matches. :?

I'll sell you mine. The only donuts I like are Krispy Kremes, and this one takes up garage space too. :D
[size=75]Mark
Jim

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:
Mine only came with a donut spare anyway. I took that off about 2 weeks after I got the truck. Do you guys have full size spares?

Yes we have full size spares. :shock: What size is that donut spare, is it smaller in dia. or skinny? If it's smaller in dia. is there a warning tag that states not to use the 4x4 when it's installed? :roll:
Best Regards, Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Jim wrote:Yes we have full size spares. :shock: What size is that donut spare, is it smaller in dia. or skinny? If it's smaller in dia. is there a warning tag that states not to use the 4x4 when it's installed? :roll:

It's the same diameter as the stock wheels and tires, but it's only like 4" wide. It confused me too...I thought all trucks came with full size spares. :?
[size=75]Mark
Jim

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:
It's the same diameter as the stock wheels and tires, but it's only like 4" wide. It confused me too...I thought all trucks came with full size spares. :?

03 It's an option to have a full size spare. Same with outlined white letter tires, lighted vanity mirrors, fog lights & floor mats. It dosen't matter that there not standard any more, I ran the GM buypower price & with all the (now options, included) the price came out the same as my 02. Its just now maybe not every CC on the dealers lot is equipped as we would like it.

Last edited by Jim on Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Maybe they think they'll sell more with less standard features? In a way I'm glad it did come with less...saved me some money. 8)
[size=75]Mark
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i cant believe that someone ith a donut for a spare, that is stupid on gm's side. and then in the same post, a guy with a truck says that he wants a donut instead of the full size spare. :shock: man i am loosin it :lol: j/k

i know what he is talking about. the roll pan and spare tire dont look to great together.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Hirolln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hirolln »

Back to the exhaust for a sec,

Has anyone here changed their muffler to a Flomaster or Gibson etc? How does it sound? What chamber muffler did you get?
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

flowmaster 3 chamber 40 series single in dual out. They offer a single in single out if you have no desire for dual exhaust. Best bet is to buy a muffler with the inlet off to the side of the muffler, not center and an outlet the same. this way here, it's easy on anyone. The thing is that our stock myfflers are reallllllllllllyyyyyyy long and the flowmaster is small so some pipe is also needed. I believe our exhaut pipe diameter is 2".....The sound is great, It deffinatley sounds like a v-8 at low rpm's ....i.e. 1800 rpm but people say flowmaster mufflers don't last as long as they would like them to...
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

OH, and as for the spare tire... I need something with a smaller diameter tire.... I put a 205 on the spare tire rim and it still looks really ugly especially with the body lift, the roll pan and the hidden hitch. I need something along the lines of a 24" tire so it sits parallel with the bed of the truck. I wonder if any junkyard camaros have spare small donuts. Right now im driving around with the spare in the bed which is taking up alot of space and we know how much bed space is valuable in these trucks

:lol:
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

I've got the Flowmaster 50 series, and it has a nice low sound. No real cab noise, but outside it has a nice sound. 50 Series is a 3 chamber muffler. If your looking for a louder sound, still deep,... then 40 series is what you want. Its a 2 chamber muffler and sounds pretty good. I actually wish I would have gotten that one instead of the 50. Dont get me wrong, I like it, but Just wish it was a little louder.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I went with 3" aluminized pipe from the Cat to a Flowmaster Deltaflow exiting the right rear quarter with a 4" stainless resonator exhaust tip. Total cost $185

Nice low rumble at idle, improved low end throttle response (I know, that sounds wrong, it should have been high rpm :roll: ) Not too loud on the highway.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Dealer found the exhaust leak... There was a blown gasket on the manifold.... :D
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

i have a 3" 40 flow....love it.....at times i wished i had dual....but to much of a pain cost me 250 ..no tip