Gas Mileage

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Gas Mileage

Post by Walt »

Could some of you guys post your gas mileage specs? My 2001 Crewcab gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, and I'm not a heavy-footed driver. I driver about 15 miles to work every day, at about 60 to 70 MPH, and then only about a mile of minor stop and go driving to my workplace. I get roughly 14 or 15 MPG when I do the math after filling up. My CC's engine is pretty much stock except for an Airaid intake and the MAF grill removed. Also, I'm only running the stock tires right now too witrh 3.73 gears.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

normal, sorry :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yeap. I get about 17 on the highway if I'm lucky! :shock:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Jim

Re: Gas Mileage

Post by Jim »

wamason wrote:Could some of you guys post your gas mileage specs? My 2001 Crewcab gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, and I'm not a heavy-footed driver. I driver about 15 miles to work every day, at about 60 to 70 MPH, and then only about a mile of minor stop and go driving to my workplace. I get roughly 14 or 15 MPG when I do the math after filling up. My CC's engine is pretty much stock except for an Airaid intake and the MAF grill removed. Also, I'm only running the stock tires right now too witrh 3.73 gears.
20+ Highway only
17 Combined
15 Short trips
12 Short trips w/ 5 - 10 minute warm-up drive 1.2 mile to spoiled 13 year old daughter's school!
When it's 30 degrees out my truck takes a good 7 minutes to warm up to opperating temperature when driving, that is the most inefficient time.
Last edited by Jim on Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

wamason wrote:Could some of you guys post your gas mileage specs? My 2001 Crewcab gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, and I'm not a heavy-footed driver. I driver about 15 miles to work every day, at about 60 to 70 MPH, and then only about a mile of minor stop and go driving to my workplace. I get roughly 14 or 15 MPG when I do the math after filling up. My CC's engine is pretty much stock except for an Airaid intake and the MAF grill removed. Also, I'm only running the stock tires right now too witrh 3.73 gears.
In the summer I get 17-18 with a full load of people in my crew. But in the Winter, the "Winter blend" of fuels they use in the northeast here drops that number. not sure if they use a different blend of gas where you live but that might affect you if they do.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I get around 13-14 with 3.42's...you're getting pretty much the average.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

15-16 stop and go
18-19 combined
20+ highway

I once averaged 22 mpg on a long highway trip cruise set to 75 mph with 3.73 gears at that. Don't know how but I did :?: :shock:

Winter time milage is total crap :x

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

After Tonneau cover:

19 MPG combined trip (60% highway cruise, 40% stop and go)
17 MPG short trip
21 MPG on the one highway trip I did

I found a gas station that doesn't sell 'Winter Blend' gas. I keep roughly the same numbers in winter and summer, +/- 1 MPG. I hope the EPA doesn't find that gas station :)

I have the shorter tires with 3.42's.

There's been thousands of debates over the MAF screens on many forums. Pop it back in and see if you fit in with the other 50% crowd that thinks it's better to have it in. If there's no change, go back to the other 50% crowd that thinks it's better to have it out :lol:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

When i drive to school in upstate NY, from RI, its all uphill. 31's with 3.42's, man I get around 8-10 mpg becuase I am always in 3rd gear climbing uphills on the highway. But on the way back, I get close to 16-18 mpg an i am gonna guess i average 1300 rpm's
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

i've seen 19-22ish before on a cruise-control only highway trip. i've got one coming up this weekend, so i'll check it out again. fill 'er up and drive 3.5 hours one way. hopefully i won't have to pass many people- that never helps
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

If I got 4:10 gears, I know my milage would go up. I'm at 3.73 with 31's now. The HPPIII helped but 4.10's would be complete.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

Sounds like your right on, I average around 15-16 in town (mixture of freeway + surface streets) and have gotten as high as 21 on open road. But normally average 19 - 20. And that is with running a Full Synthetic motor oil, I plan on changing out the Trans and Diff also to Synthetic that will increase MPG some.

Running 3.73 stock tires
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My worst mileage was 14.1 mpg, Best mileage 22.8 mpg

Average of 39 fill-ups , 16.89 mpg

Like everyone else I am usually between 15-18 mpg normally. With extended offroading it hovers at or just below 15 mpg.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My main problem is that my gas mileage does not improve with highway driving. About two weeks ago, I went on a LONG trip (about 1200 miles), and I got roughly 15-16 MPG.
--Walt
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I see from your sig that you have a bodylift -- have you increased your tiresize as well?

If you're running 31's and have the 3.42 gearing, your mileage is going to suck on or off the interstate. could be that your truck is pushing so hard to keep it at highway speed that the mileage isn't any better there.

Of course I'm speculating about yout tire size and gearing.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

gas...

Post by KCustom »

About 18 to 20 Highway
16 or so combined
13 to 14 Towing my camper
3.73 gears stock tire size
I have no Idea what to expect with lift, 275/70/17s, supercharger, CIA, and Headers when complete. I hope to find out pretty soon. My wife is about to throw my parts out in the yard if I do not get my truck back soon and get the parts on my truck. LOL
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm rolling on stock rubber. 235/75/15 And 3.73 gears. The guy who had the truck before me had the body lift put on. I think he was running 22" wheels maybe, but when I got the truck with 18K miles, it had the stock tires and wheels.
--Walt
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i think the worst i got was about 8mpg...

i was in 4-lo the entire day :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
JRIOS

Post by JRIOS »

hello guys i'm a mexican i live in Rosarito Baja California my ZR5 is runnig 31's and have 13 mpg on hy way, in the city 8-9 mpg and it have 3.73 gearing your're luky guys sory for my speling. Wy can i do for get more miles, thank you.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ouch
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

JRIOS wrote:hello guys i'm a mexican i live in Rosarito Baja California my ZR5 is runnig 31's and have 13 mpg on hy way, in the city 8-9 mpg and it have 3.73 gearing your're luky guys sory for my speling. Wy can i do for get more miles, thank you.
Have you corrected the speedometer for the larger tire size? That difference will make your speedometer 10% slow. That equates to 10mpg city and a little over 14 mpg highway. It may be that your driving habits could be changed? Ease up on the skinny pedal. Running ethanol fuels, you are not far off the norm.

The first place to go looking for improvements would be a good tune up. Plugs, cap rotor, clean TB, fuel treatment, clean MAFS, air cleaner. Then depending upon the mileage maybe new O2 sensors.
If you are looking for a modification, bigger free flowing exhaust would be a good choice.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Bienvenido JRios. I think part of the problem might be the PEMEX gas. It is usually a lower octane than American gas. Are you using Magna-Sin (unleaded)??. I've had problems before with PEMEX gas ad have usually stayed away from it when possible. Como esta el tiempo en Rosarito? Last time I was there was way back in the early 90s.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
JRIOS

Post by JRIOS »

HenryJ wrote:
JRIOS wrote:hello guys i'm a mexican i live in Rosarito Baja California my ZR5 is runnig 31's and have 13 mpg on hy way, in the city 8-9 mpg and it have 3.73 gearing your're luky guys sory for my speling. Wy can i do for get more miles, thank you.
Have you corrected the speedometer for the larger tire size? That difference will make your speedometer 10% slow. That equates to 10mpg city and a little over 14 mpg highway. It may be that your driving habits could be changed? Ease up on the skinny pedal. Running ethanol fuels, you are not far off the norm.

The first place to go looking for improvements would be a good tune up. Plugs, cap rotor, clean TB, fuel treatment, clean MAFS, air cleaner. Then depending upon the mileage maybe new O2 sensors.
If you are looking for a modification, bigger free flowing exhaust would be a good choice.
I justa change the plug, rotor, caps and wires, i took the truck to a body shop and some stolen the catalyc do you thing ono of tht reazon, tankyou i gone to do the rest of the list you tell me.
JRIOS

Post by JRIOS »

border man wrote:Bienvenido JRios. I think part of the problem might be the PEMEX gas. It is usually a lower octane than American gas. Are you using Magna-Sin (unleaded)??. I've had problems before with PEMEX gas ad have usually stayed away from it when possible. Como esta el tiempo en Rosarito? Last time I was there was way back in the early 90s.
We are in summer time but is around 70s, today is the first day the sun came out in the last two weeks, about the PEMEX gas you rithg, is cheaper but i'm thinking star cross teh border ones a week to filler up.