Straight pipe I/O muffler?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Straight pipe I/O muffler?

Post by AZS10Crew »

Any of you guys run just a straight pipe in place of the muffler or know anyone who does? I'm thinking of doing this with mine, but if it sounds bad or really insanely loud, then I won't.

I used to have a cutout (open exhaust after cat) on my Z28, and it sounded sweet (scared away lots of ricers :D ) but that was an LS1, not a V6, so I'm curoius how open exhaust would sound on a 4.3.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i am sure it would sound loud, but only when you step on it. the v-6's dont idle too loud at all. i dont know if there would be enough back pressure though? that might make it run bad. but then again, the cat should create enough of that. so try it out and let us know how it goes :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'm thinking of just trying it. The rear section just unbolts right after the cat anyway, so I may try and unbolt it some weekend and see how it sounds.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Wrager

Re: Straight pipe I/O muffler?

Post by Wrager »

AZS10Crew wrote:
I used to have a cutout (open exhaust after cat) on my Z28, and it sounded sweet (scared away lots of ricers :D ) but that was an LS1, not a V6, so I'm curoius how open exhaust would sound on a 4.3.

Hey, me too! I sold my '99 SS and bought the CC. I do miss that car, but just didn't drive it enough. I had headers, no cats and the SLP Loudmouth (as you probably know, this is just a small resonator in place of the muffler). Before the headers and no ctas, it sounded great. After that, it was intolerably loud. It would set off car alarms in the parking lot.

Before I sold it I was making 362 HP at the rear wheels. That was fun!

So I too have thought about just eliminating the muffler. Let us know how it sounds.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Straight pipe I/O muffler?

Post by AZS10Crew »

Wrager wrote:Hey, me too! I sold my '99 SS and bought the CC. I do miss that car, but just didn't drive it enough. I had headers, no cats and the SLP Loudmouth (as you probably know, this is just a small resonator in place of the muffler). Before the headers and no ctas, it sounded great. After that, it was intolerably loud. It would set off car alarms in the parking lot.

Before I sold it I was making 362 HP at the rear wheels. That was fun!

So I too have thought about just eliminating the muffler. Let us know how it sounds.

Sounds like a pretty nice setup you had there. I hadn't done much to mine. It was a 99 also...Hugger Orange Z28 with factory ground effects and chrome wheels. All I had added was a cutout, Direct Flo lid, Holley Powershot filter, FRA mod, removed MAF screen, TransGo shift kit (stage 3...maximum firmness), 160 thermostat and HPP3. The shift kit was probably the best thing I ever did to that car. It would chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift at 3000 RPM and above. Damn that car was fun! :D Mine dynoed at 309 at the wheels. I only really miss it when I'm driving next to a ricer and feel like teaching him a lesson. :thumb: The rest of the time I don't miss it at all...tons of squeeks and rattles, the shift kit would almost give you whiplash in regular driving, poor visibility, poor interior, vinyl-like leather interior, etc. Not a driver-friendly car to take to work and back. My crew cab drives like a Cadillac compared to that car. :) I'll probably get one again later on down the road when I can afford a toy to keep around.
[size=75]Mark