Makin' Room....(KCustom's flares)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ChevyMan6
Regular
Regular

Post by ChevyMan6 »

I would defintily be in for a set of those flares. It really brings out your tires on your truck. Good Working on that. Let me know when they will be available.
If it ain't a Chevy run it off a levy.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The Red Baron wrote:Why walk through a mud puddle when you can run and JUMP! :lol: OK, so maybe the only way I can make it through mud boggs is to blast through it. Damn 2wd :cry: Oh well, how about some news on the flares! Is this a dead project? Destined for the archives like Mikes (LS1ZR2)... Or is there light at the end of this tunnel? C’mon, toss us a bone KCustom. :P
Give the man time guys. He's working on something in his spare tire, with a new baby (I know what that's like), PLUS, the first flares he's working on are actually for a minority in the truck market (our CC's), which makes it even cooler IMO. So we need to keep all pressure off and wait and see :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

It has been over a month since he posted he should have some time in a few weeks. Check the classified section and you'll see why I'm looking for info.
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i agree k shouldnt have alot of time. the guy sounds like a good dad for not taking time away from his new baby. cheers mate ;)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

This wouldn't have anything to do with you wanting more time to prototype your fender flares would it? :lol:
ChevyMan6
Regular
Regular

Post by ChevyMan6 »

Who ever comes out with them first. Just start working on your flares and post them.
If it ain't a Chevy run it off a levy.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Being first is a part of the equasion, but we are really talking about three unique sets of flares here.

The LS1 ZR2 flares are the maximum cut-outs with close to four inches of material removed. They are fiberglass which has it's advantages and disadvantages. For someone looking for the maximum well opening these are the obvious choice. Fiberglass is very durable , retains a finish better, when protected resists UV better and much easier to repair than ABS.

Skidz flares are still an unknown. Talk is that they will be 3/16 ABS and mounted to the inner fender lip. This has pros and cons. No use discussing them until the product is examined.

KCustoms flares are by far the best balance IMO. Mounting to the outer fender means that you do not need to be quite as precise in the cutting/modifying of the wheel well for a good fit. They cut a moderate amount, more than Skidz estimate, and less than Mike's. They are planned to be the heaviest material. Front and rears designed for the crew cab.

Now, all this being said NONE OF THEM ARE AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.

Mike's flares show the best chance of seeing production right now, but rear flares have not been developed at this time. Skidz has grand ideas, but is way to early in the process to be considered an option at this time. KCustom's flares may not ever see production.

Right now I would not hold your breath for any crew cab cut-out flares. If you want them you may have to build your own, or go without.

Don't be surprised if you see this thread and the mod page for KCustom's flares disappear. All the attention to this may have made the production of them to be more of a chore or burden than what was originally anticipated. Other priorities can take precedence, and these may just fade into the category of a nice idea that didn't quite work out.

I may need to just make all this information disappear in order to simplify KC's life. I hope you all understand.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

oh hj up with hope...down with dope! Edison was a dreamer and we can thank him for alot of the things we have now a days, this thread is what makes peaple dream of bigger and better things take skids for examp;e this wait has pushed him to make his own design and if i knew how to do something like this i would be on the same boat making my ownthe good things about dreams and hopes is that they dont die they just grow and even if this is removed somewhere over the rainbow if not kc this may guide someone else more able at the time to go forward and create so if we promise not to rag on him maybe we can at least get dimensions to go on our own
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Flares

Post by KCustom »

I have Offered Henry J the oppertunity to take possesion of the Molds for the flares...That being said if he does not want to or does not have the facilitys avaliable to finish these up I would be willing to give the molds to someone that has the capability of completing them. The proto molds are complete and you could pull a few parts to fine tune them and then have them cast (poly or aluminum) to become production molds. If there are only a few people interested you would not even have to cast them the molds as they are could possibly make a dozen or so sets......If someone is interested and would be willing to come and get them (I do not want to ship them if at all possible) please let me know....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

henrys right they all have advantages and disadvantages. hwoever like i said im about getting things done. this week will be nothing but flares. 2 weeks and they will be ready for order. one week for pics.

cheers
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

What type of molds are we talking about, Injection molds with the mold bases or something less mass production friendly. I live in southern California and have facilities to have anything made within a short drive. I have taken part in producing a fiberglass hoods for the 93 to 95 Mazda RX-7 and know how to get things done. My latest project was to have custom made Uniball ball joints made for my lifted parts runner. My 94 Sonoma 2wd. I am currently doing a group buy on them.

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=37912

Please pm your phone number so we can talk about this if you really don't want to carry this to completion.
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

the only thing that really concerns me is the fact that these were looking pretty fair price wise from kc and if somebody else takes them and makes them are we going to see an increase in price?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Flares

Post by HenryJ »

KCustom wrote:I have Offered Henry J the oppertunity to take possesion of the Molds for the flares......If someone is interested and would be willing to come and get them (I do not want to ship them if at all possible) please let me know....
I see several roadblocks in my accepting the kind offer. One the lack of experience in this whole process and no previous contact with them. Two the lack of facilities in my area. Three getting the molds from OK to OR.

The obstacles seem overwhelming.

I have worked with fiberglass extensively, but in this area everything is mail order, so materials are not readily available.
There is one plastics buisness listed in town, and none in Boise. I have my doubts as to their capabilities, and the affordability if they can indeed produce them.

I would say that if someone else has the resources available, go for it.

Like I said before "nice idea", too bad it didn't work out.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Red Baron wrote:What type of molds are we talking about...
Don't forget that the rears are for the crew cab only and will not work on a S-series truck or Blazer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i emailed greer tank and welding if you are interested do a search on google they will be the first to pop up but i asked if they would be able to make a mold and pull about a dozen pairs or so if this is the case and none of you guys would object ill run the leg work on this please give me your input
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

“I see several roadblocks in my accepting the kind offer. One the lack of experience in this whole process and no previous contact with them. “

As it is in a lot of things you buy every day, the seller did not manufacture the item but had it contracted out to people better suited for the job. This is no different.

“Two the lack of facilities in my area. Three getting the molds from OK to OR.
The obstacles seem overwhelming.”

I am confident that I have got more then enough shops around to keep the price at or below what it can be done for in Sand Springs OK. It always helps when you have several shops to do a price comparison. You know as well as anyone, where there is a will and a wallet, there is always a way. Shipping would be handled by palletizing the molds with tie down straps from Home Depot and in moving blankets from U-Haul and using a freight carrier. The same way I ship motors across country.

”I have worked with fiberglass extensively, but in this area everything is mail order, so materials are not readily available.
There is one plastics buisness listed in town, and none in Boise. I have my doubts as to their capabilities, and the affordability if they can indeed produce them.

I would say that if someone else has the resources available, go for it.”

This seems worth considering, but there is not enough info on the table to make a commitment. I do like the design though and I know it could be modified for more clearance and reproduced vary cheaply in fiberglass or use the present design in plastic. It's worth a phone call.
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

process

Post by KCustom »

The production process is VAC FORMING....very simple and cost effective...
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

is this thread dead?

[b]edited-HJ[/b]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This set is dead, unless KCustom changes his mind, or someone else picks up the molds and finishes them.

edited-HJ
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

maybe skidz could take them and just have a cut out model with the bolts showing and his whenever they get done
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

im not going lie this is harding then it looks to get togther. but once it is done it will look so sweet! im really excited about getting thm on the market trust me. patience is a virtue 8)

camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

well yeah skidz but im saying why dont you just take kc's molds and get them pulled too i mean you obviously have the tools for the job
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yeah thast ture...but hes selling em isnt he? and right now i have aready invested 2 grand on mine so i could afford another 2 on his :(

camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

hey kc when you made them what did you make them out of i know the actual for sale ones were going to be abs but i mean did you form them with abs?? just curious i want to make a set for myself and ill try my hand at just about anything
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

:(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My sentiments exactly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

How can I get afull set of these flares?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can not.
They just never went into production. The molds may still exist, although I tried to make contact a long long time ago and have had no response.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

Whatever happened to KCustom and his Truck? Or the flares for that matter?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hopefully he is raising a family and living happily ever after.
No longer wasting time on trucks, but enjoying what ever he is driving now.
Spending that time with loved ones building memories rather than parts.

:thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK