Has anyone used sound deadening material in there crew cab?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Has anyone used sound deadening material in there crew cab?

Post by Jim »

I'm not into booming sound systems, but on the highway I would like the thing to be quiet inside. I was thinking of installing this stuff behind the door panels, behind the rear seat area & maybe the roof. Any thoughts?
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I'm just guessing here but, doesn't most "road" noise come from underneath? or from the engine compartment? so, maybe apply some the the floor under carpet and up the inside of the firewall?

I guess there's also a substantial amount of noise from air resistance around the cab. so, doors roof will help too but, if you're getting noise through the back of the back seat (filled with foam and upholstery) how much is that sound deadening tape going to help?

also, I recall someone talking about adding insulation to their truck a while back but more for temperature than sound. although it was pretty similar product and application I think.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yep, I did my headliner :thumb:

That stuff looks good and probably conforms to the metal better.

Do everything you can. Doors usually make the biggest change in "feel" , but under the carpet and firewall will quiet road noise substantially.

I just checked the price of that stuff :shock: ALMOST $5 PER SQUARE FOOT! Wheew, that would be a bit pricey for as much as I would want to do. But then again I am pretty cheap.

The "bubble foil" is really cheap and does a good job with radiant heat. It does also help with sound, but something that attaches to the metal does a better job of that.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:I just checked the price of that stuff :shock: ALMOST $5 PER SQUARE FOOT! Wheew, that would be a bit pricey for as much as I would want to do. But then again I am pretty cheap.
yeah but get 140 sq ft (two 70 packs) and it's only $2.29 per square foot.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I used dynomat. They have complete car kits for like $400 or so. I did the doors, floor, rear panel, pillars and some of the firewall (what i could reach). It works well but people consider it expensive..It is mostly used in the audio industry..
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Justin wrote:I used dynomat. They have complete car kits for like $400 or so. I did the doors, floor, rear panel, pillars and some of the firewall (what i could reach). It works well but people consider it expensive..It is mostly used in the audio industry..
How quiet is it?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Justin wrote:I used dynomat. They have complete car kits for like $400...
I have also used Dynamat, but not the new "aluminum xtreme", just the plain black sound deadener.

It is pricey, at close to double the price of the "Brown Bread" linked above, and I had a problem of it losing adhesion after about a year.
Pieces fell loose in the doors, and came loose on the rear wheel tubs.

Hopefully the newer adhesives are better than that.

Personally, I'll just be using the bubble pack for my needs. I have used it on firewalls , under carpet , headliners and under door panels.

Maybe the thing to do would just use a few squares of the "Brown Bread" inside the doors for deadening and bubble pack the rest?

Has anyone had our doors apart? GM was pretty good about adding some sound deadening in the doors, I wonder if there isn't already some in there?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I used...

Post by KCustom »

I used HUSHMAT...Worked great. Back wall, floors, door pannels and under the hood.....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

i have the aluminum.. It is very quiet but i still get road noise from the tires. Windows all up, stereo at a decent level, you won't hear a thing but the rattles from the dash and door :lol:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Some people also undercoat the bottom of the cab to keep it even quieter.
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:
Justin wrote:I used dynomat. They have complete car kits for like $400...
I have also used Dynamat, but not the new "aluminum xtreme", just the plain black sound deadener.

It is pricey, at close to double the price of the "Brown Bread" linked above, and I had a problem of it losing adhesion after about a year.
Pieces fell loose in the doors, and came loose on the rear wheel tubs.

Hopefully the newer adhesives are better than that.

Personally, I'll just be using the bubble pack for my needs. I have used it on firewalls , under carpet , headliners and under door panels.

Maybe the thing to do would just use a few squares of the "Brown Bread" inside the doors for deadening and bubble pack the rest?

Has anyone had our doors apart? GM was pretty good about adding some sound deadening in the doors, I wonder if there isn't already some in there?
I was just at Lowes the foil bubble pack is cheap enough but I'm not sure of its sound deadening ability. What do you think HenryJ ?

The Peel & Seal does stink & I only found it in 6" wide rolls.

I may just have to bite the bullet & go for the bread.
Best Regards, Jim
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HushMat

Post by KCustom »

I used the Hush Mat because it look just like the Dynomat and it cost less. I used the foil back on the back wall and floor and the closed cell sheet on the inside of the door pannels. It works great and costs less....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:...I was just at Lowes the foil bubble pack is cheap enough but I'm not sure of its sound deadening ability. What do you think HenryJ ?...
I may just have to bite the bullet & go for the bread.
The foil bubble sheet is primarily a radiant heat barrier. It does deaden the sound some, but does not adhere to the metal to reduce the transfer of sound.

I have no doubt that the brown bread would be superior for deadening sound.

I am more concerned with heat, since I live in a desert climate. A quieter ride is just a bonus for me :)

For the doors bubble foil would go just under the door panel, and brown bread could be attached the inner side of the skin.

I have used both at times. Dynamat squares stuck in the center of large areas of sheetmetal to stop the drum, and cover it with the bubble foil to insulate and reduce heat transfer.

If you only do one and really want that luxury car feel, go with more than just bubble foil.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i dont have any solutions as far as the heat goes, but i do have a great idea for the road noise, most vehicles now come with a sound deading set-up strait from the factory, all you have to do is tune it, its pretty easy to find, look for a small know on your dash, this is your volume control, if you turn that clockwise, it will intensify the sound deadning device to maximum output, i know for a fact this blocks out road noise, rattles, and all kinds of wear and tear noises. plus its free :lol:
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maximous wrote:... have a great idea for the road noise ...on your dash, this is your volume control... turn that clockwise...to maximum output, ...
The "anti-rattle cloaking device" , I have hear of this.
I am told that many have been enhancing it's capabilities with aftermarket head units , amps and subs ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Still Looking...Does anyone have any info about these two items. The online catalogue has no pics...I'm a sight guy, they do give a discription but I have never seen the Insultek 1/4" thick core of styrofoam insulation with aluminum foil bonded to both sides. R value of 3 or the sheet they say is "is the exact material used by GM and Ford in their luxury cars!"
Check out the link to Juliano's Hot Rod Parts.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?Z ... _Rod_Parts
Look under soundproofing in the drop down box
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I didn't have any luck with the drop down menus using Netscape so here are links-
Sound deadening $2.32 per sq. ft.
Insul-tek foil $1.13 per sq. ft.
Carpet underlay $0.50 per sq. ft.

Use all three and it will sound like a Caddy inside $3.95 per sq. ft. :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

maybe if I sound proof my cab I wont hear that clunking noise I have? :shock:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:I didn't have any luck with the drop down menus using Netscape so here are links-
Sound deadening $2.32 per sq. ft.
Insul-tek foil $1.13 per sq. ft.
Carpet underlay $0.50 per sq. ft.

Use all three and it will sound like a Caddy inside $3.95 per sq. ft. :thumb:
I ordered 2 sheets of the Sound Deadening & one 40sq ft roll of the insultek. My concern with Brown Bread is how well it sticks. If you cover the inside of the door, then need to repair something it could ba a pain. The foil faced Insultek would only need to be adhered behind the door panel at a few spots. If I like the stuff & need more I can pick it up the end of Sept at the fall Carlisle swap meet.
Best Regards, Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hey brule. i am about to put a new head board in my truck. so i just get the same bubble foil peice that i put across my winsheild and just get 2 of those and cut them to fit in the roof?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:...i am about to put a new head board in my truck. so i just get the same bubble foil peice that i put across my winsheild and just get 2 of those and cut them to fit in the roof?
Check your local lumber yard (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) for the foil bubble insulation. I'd bet it will be cheaper than the sunshades.

I think I had between $5-$10 invested in enough to do my headliner.

I

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I have over 200sq feet of sound deadning in my car bough from www.b-quiet.com i bought the extreme stuff, it used to be cheaper on their website though.

I love it i could crank my 4 12's and shut the door and it would immediately go quiet on the outside and just watch my roof flex. The stuff works really good and is alot cheaper than dynomat or used to be.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

When I first got my truck I went the dynamat route. I did the doors, pillars, headliner, floors, firewall, and back wall. Made a BIG difference. I got the stuff at a discount from where I used to work, so it wasn't that bad. The worst part was taking out the headliner and floor carpet/seats.

I used the dynamat extreme on the firewall and back cab wall, and regular everywhere else.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

mine came from the dealership with an extra sound deadning umm thingy, im guessing that it is something there local accessory shop sells to them, a good way to make an extra buck if i do say so myself, its not like i could tell them that i dint want it and have them take it off, extra money that i was kinda stuck with, purty smart
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I pulled the headliner and installed foil bubble pack radiant heat barrier insulation.
Check your local lumber yard (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) for the foil bubble insulation. The stuff I used was called Refletix. Pretty inexpensive. Not only does it reduce interior temperatures it also adds some insulation for winter and helps to deaden sound a little.

Refletix runs $.042 per square foot. $42 for a 4 ft x 25 ft roll. Reflects 97% of radiant energy.
I have used it in numerous streetrods, on heat shields, AC boxes, under hood, etc.
The difference is very noticeable.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Conclusions

As I have stated repeatedly, this isn't a rigorously scientific review. I got a bunch of samples and did what I could to evaluate them. While this approach is obvious lacking in a lot of ways, I think I learned some essential truths that should help in your evaluation. Additionally, since I posted the first version of this project, I have been contacted by some legitimate experts in this field, several of whom contributed important context and guidance.

Ideally, I would have loved to actually measure the effectiveness of the samples I had. How well do they dampen?. How effective are they as a barrier? These would be great things to know.

I think I have gotten to the bottom of the product failure problem. In the asphalt versus butyl debate, I am convinced that butyl based products are better in every aspect. So what do I recommend?

I would have no qualms about using SecondSkin Damplifier or Damplifier Pro, Dynamat Xtreme, RAAMmat BXT or B-Quiet Ultimate. That said, two product lines stand out - one of these will meet your requirements.
Highest Quality

Second Skin's products live up to their "Over Engineered to Over Perform" motto. They are clearly a higher quality alternative to Dynamat Xtreme - designed for greater heat tolerance, with higher quality materials.

If quality is your most important requirement, Second Skin Damplifier or Damplifier Pro are the obvious choices. Dynamat Xtreme is close, but being more expensive and not as good isn't a winning combination. I congradulate Second Skin Audio for their obvious dedication to providing the best product possible.
Best Value

RAAMaudio's RAAMmat BXT is a high quality product priced to compete with asphalt mats. If you are considering an asphalt sound deadener based on price, please reconsider.

Remember, you are not just buying square feet, you are buying mass. Most of the asphalt mats are thinner and the lighter than the butyl products. This means you will need more layers to accomplish the same result. The only close comparison is eDead v1SE vs. RAAMmat. They are close in weight and thickness, despite the fact that Elemental Designs significantly overstates the density of their products.

If I were to repeat my own installation - 300 square feet of damping mat - here's how it would price out for RAAMmat BXT and eDead v1SE, shipped:
RAAMmat BXT $594.00
eDead v1SE $513.00

There is only $81.00 between the two. If you use less, the difference will be smaller. This is not even close. Buy the RAAMmat BXT.

If you only needed 100 square feet:
RAAMmat BXT $198.00
eDead v1SE $171.00

That's just $27 dollars.

If you really need to do this in the absolutely least expensive way and are not convinced or concerned by the demonstrated inferiority of asphalt based sound deadeners, go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a roll or two of Peel & Seal. This is the least expensive option and you won't have to worry about shipping costs. I can see no difference in Peel & Seal and the asphalt based aluminum skinned products in this review. If you are going to live dangerously, do it right.

I hope this helps.
Peel-n-Seal, hmmm...

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Refletix , being 56, and a couple of tours in a conflict, long ago, works for me :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]