SuperChargers

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Steven
Crew
Crew

SuperChargers

Post by Steven »

I maybe in a position this summer to add a supercharger. I wish I would have done the reading I've done earlier. Powerdyne makes one for the 01-02's now that includes special headers for clearance issues. Looks like the cost will be around $3500 for that one. Also I've been reading about Mach performances ProCharger which has an intercooler that makes more power than the powerdyne. But costs appear to be about $1000 more.

www.powerdyne.com

www.machperformance.com

www.superchargersonline.com

Looks like the mod I've been looking for. Maybe I could be the first S/C CC on the road. I've been working on my wife about this mod, and I think she's starting to get tired of me talking about it... which means I maybe able to get it....lol with little resistance.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Sound great. What kind of HP gains will the SC make? Also, where would the Intercooler fit as there is not much room under the hood already.

Good Luck,

Con
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Too bad you don't live here in Phoenix...there's a dealership here that does "Thunder" packages on S-10's that adds a S/C and some other goodies. Makes a little over 300 HP I think. They're pretty sweet trucks. And because the dealership does the work, it's all under factory warranty too. :thumb:

If I only had some extra money. :?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I've looked into this before...Machine performance is deffinately the way to go...They specialize in 4.3L engines but is very costly..Whole setup with tach, supercharger and other things was around $4500...Gains they said was something like 50%-60% at rear wheels.....something like 400hp on the stock motor....Doing something like that may need some internal engine work...Simple bolt-ons from powerdyne would be the better option for close to 300 hp without excessive internal engine mods..
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Well the mach performance pro-charger has the Intercooler below the fan shroud on the bottom. Real performance numbers vary some, but I'd expect to see about 270-280 hp total after the install with all the mod's I've already got. Yes mach is the way to go from what I've read, but If I don't have the smog tube on my pass. side exhaust manifold, then I can get away with the basic package that cost $2300 K10525-101.

Justin/AZs10 I to wish I lived closer to someone who does the install, but from what I've read its really not a bad install. If I don't need the headers then installation should take about 6-10 hours depending.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Ok well I've definetly desided on Powerdynes S/C kit. It comes with special designed headers that relocate the injection tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold. As for the clearance issue on the drivers side, and the steering column, it can be lowered enough to make it work. Sever guys on other boards told me it would work.

Its gonna happen around april. I've got my eye on the upgraded FMU that Bill Mach provides from his site and the re-flash of the PCM from him as well. Also from reading upgrading the stock spark plugs to NGK TR6's makes a nice improvement as well. They help against early detonation by lowering the temp of the plug. Basically,... the powerdyne kit comes to work with all stock options, ... but with these few upgrades, it really pumps out the horse power. Should see hp number much closer to 300 or better. I'm being conservative. and all this for just under $3000.00

I'm excited!.... I'd like to do it now, but were in the middle of remodling our bathroom. And that aint cheep.! :shock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

8) Cool can't wait to see pics of the first BLOWN Crew Cab!

Do everything you can to cool that air flow (intercooler) . I know you have already done lots for cooling. Maybe check into a flowcooler waterpump? A Supercharger is a great big heat pump. I know from experience ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

well thanks for the input, but if you read on powerdynes web site, they will void the warrentee if you try to modify there setup in any way. Mach performance offers intercool setup, but powerdyne does not. Machs produces more power than powerdyne though...

They say no intercooling needed with their setup... but I will beware when I get it. I'll see what I can do to keep the heat flowing away.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know if there are any newer , or better books out there, but you should get:

"A do-it-yourself guide to: Street Supercharging"

by Pat Ganahl

published by S-A Design books

ISBN 0-931472-17-3

Part No.17-3

The information is a bit dated, but all the basics will always apply. Besides it is pretty interesting stuff.

I can't see how a simple heat exchanger (intercooler) could void any warranty, but they may have a system that works fine without it. You can always add one later, anyway.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Also, I can't remember what you are using for an ignition system, but be very careful if it is a multiple spark discharge system! Blown motors like a long hot spark. A multiple spark is not what you want happening under boost. Although this has been disputed, and some are using MSD ignitions.

If you ever have a lean out backfire, you'll know why I'm a little cautious.

A backfire in the top of the quarter mile is the equivalent of 3/4 of a stick of dynamite going off in the intake manifold.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Thanks henry, the kit comes with a new Crane ignition box, so I'd be switching to the one that comes with the kit when I do it.

I'll also look into that book too. I want to be as educated as possible prior to doing anything.
smaney1
Regular
Regular

Post by smaney1 »

Have you looked into Mach's top end packages as well ? Perhaps to do prior to or in conjunction with the supercharger ?
[size=75]'03 S-10 Crew Blue

opts: locking 3.73, on/off road tires (to be replaced), mods: Gibson stainless exhaust, TYC tails, clear fronts, bed extender, for daughter (elmo vanity plate, rear cupholder), planned: 18's and/or bigger tires, flame accents, wheel spacers, tonneau, ...[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Truck Trend magazine put a Vortech with an intercooler on a 99 blazer and made in excess of 300 HP. It's not the current issue. I was the last one. BTW I am new here and hope to learn alot and help others too. I have a long list of future upgrades for my 02 cc.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

you can get 450hp out of these 262's. at least thats what the baja zr2 team did. they of course have it supercharged and put a stroker kit in it. changed all the pistons and rockers, cam, you know the usual. and then they run it on methane! so there you go. 450hp
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]