S-10 V-8 engine swap

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

a2b wrote:yeah, thats why i dont do much performance mods....the power is fine for me...its still a v-6 so i dont expect much...i wish an engine swap was easy..that would fun as h### :D

Doing the actually physical swap is fairly easy. Since what we have is basically a 350 V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off, almost everything bolts up. You may have to scrounge junkyards for some brackets, etc, but from what I've learned, it's almost a bolt in for a 350. Now, the electronics and of course those pesky emission controls, well that's the hard part!
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I read somwhere that the later model S-10's are easier to drop a V-8 in more than the early models due to design and also has a stronger frame design. Dunno how true it is.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

now that is a mod i would def consider! :wink: so who's up for helping :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Check out http://www.jagsthatrun.com. They have some interesting stuff on S-10 V8 swaps as well as how to stuff a V8 in a Volvo (that would be a fun sleeper).
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Myself, I think the 4.3 in stock form has plenty power for me. And when you put a V-8 in there, the increased weight will have to be delt with also.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I've read JTR's S-10 V8 conversion book cover to cover. :shock: There is allot of info there gained only from experience. They say the Vortec supercharger on the 4.3 is less expensive & will create as much power as most FI V8s. BUT it will still sound like a stinking 6 banger. I have researched extensively the V8 possibility, the amount of time & effort to do the job right :D I consider a V8 in anything older than a 98 a waist of effort. :roll: To do a clean installation a donor vehicle is absolutely necessary (Rolled 98 Camaro or full-size truck non-TPI is better TBI is what makes ease of installation & stock air cleaner box is still used). To be smog legal the matched exhaust components should be used including trans & ECM from the same unit, don't use a corvette motor you'll never finish the job...all engine accessories are at the wrong location. Also the fulltime 4WD transfer case from a Bravada or Astro van are needed to get that power to the wheels. :thumb:

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Wrager

Post by Wrager »

How about the Lingenfelter Sonoma with the LS6 in it? That looks like a nasty little truck! Of coarse it's a $100K conversion.

Once I get my Camaro project complete, I plan on doing the 350 conversion on my 91. I have a '96 Lt-1 sitting in the garage. Just another fun project!
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well, isnt the LS1 350 hp or something...if so, that is better than the 4.3 with super charger, right?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

LS1's in the F-Bodies are underrated at 320 HP...they're more in the 350-360 range based on dyno results I've seen. My 99 Z28 made 310 HP at the rear wheels (figures to about 380 at the flywheel) with just intake and exhaust. It got great mileage too...never less than 20 mpg even in stop and go traffic with a few runs down the 1/4 mile.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i have seen new f-bodies with stock LS1 run 12.5. i would think there would be more than 320 hp in that motor....there is that guy that has a LS1 motor in his zr2 that has the DBS 5" with 33's and he was running 13's....of course he did have nitrous :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yeah...there's a few factory freaks here and there that run 12's stock. I've also heard of a few that run 14's stock. But the vast majority run mid to low 13's right off the showroom floor, which puts them basically equal to the Vettes, which are lighter and rated at 340 HP (non-Z06 that is).
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Now this is what Im talking about. My first S-10 was a 1982 (first American model year) the Isuzu 1.9 that was in it just wasnt working. I decided to build a 377 stroker for it (400 block, 350 crank and rods) after I finished building the engine, rebuilding the TH 350 trans, getting a new drive shaft made for it, and getting my hooker headers in the mail, I was ready. 2 hours, a few swings of the sledge hammer to the firewall, and I was backing out of the garage with the quickest truck I ever drove. To bad its so hard to do with the new ones (especially 4wd). I will have to see if I still have any pics of it and post them.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Jeff wrote:Now this is what Im talking about. My first S-10 was a 1982 (first American model year) the Isuzu 1.9 that was in it just wasnt working. I decided to build a 377 stroker for it (400 block, 350 crank and rods) after I finished building the engine, rebuilding the TH 350 trans, getting a new drive shaft made for it, and getting my hooker headers in the mail, I was ready. 2 hours, a few swings of the sledge hammer to the firewall, and I was backing out of the garage with the quickest truck I ever drove. To bad its so hard to do with the new ones (especially 4wd). I will have to see if I still have any pics of it and post them.

Thats what im saying all you need is a bigger hammer and you can do just about any thing, a big hammer was putting the lift on my truck :lol: if only I had wased under my truck the day 4 i wouldnt have needed :(