Horsepower

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Horsepower

Post by Joseph »

Whats the easiest and the cheapest way to had horsepower without hurting my warranty? I would like to add around 25 to 45 horsepower. JH68
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know specific items, but anything that will increase efficiency is a good investment.

Let it breathe.

I'd say exhaust first: Catback, high flow muffler, headers, etc. , then intake: FIPK, airbox mod, EGR mods, etc. Ignition upgrades could be a good investment. Of course fine tune everything you have.

Other options that can have drawbacks, (you will have to weigh the consequences) are to remove driven devices: fan (replace with electrics), under drive pulleys.

The cheapest "horsepower" Performance upgrade is to remove weight. 100 lbs. = .10 sec. , however this may not be an option. Just something to keep in mind.

Some times you just do what you can, and evertually the whole package will come together. Most of us can't afford to do everything all at once.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, take off pounds.....in other words brule is trying to tell you to....GO ON A DIET FOR GOD'S SAKE :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:....GO ON A DIET FOR GOD'S SAKE
:lol: LMAO :lol: Gotta watch what I say, someone always takes it wrong :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:

thats what i am here for :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:
HenryJ wrote:

thats what i am here for :wink:

The last time I was prepared for Hobie. I got the response:

" what :wink: "

Hobie only takes it the wrong way when you're not expecting it :lol:
Last edited by Jim on Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I didn't take it the wrong way :wink: I'm 5'9" 220lbs. Talk about loosing weight I've seen fiberglass front ends for s-10's. Might not ever see a fiberglass or plastic bed for a crew cab. Well anyhow, trying to think of ways to spend my tax return for this year. JH68
Last edited by Joseph on Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

If you want some simple power at a medium cost, remove the clutch fan and replace it with an electric fan.

Nice power difference, but with my truck, it didn't work (I got hot). Doesn't mean that yours wouldn't. I'm using the jet stage 2 chip, and temps are higher with high octane gas... Since I've upgrade my Rad, its been fine temp wise.

Headers would be a good plus too. But they aren't cheep.

Good luck.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Steven wrote:If you want some simple power at a medium cost, remove the clutch fan and replace it with an electric fan.

yes, that is one of the simplest ways to get a big chunck of power back to the truck. if your wheather in illinois is cold most of the year and doesnt go above 90 much, you will probably be alright
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I keep seeing cars or trucks with smaller engines with more Horsepower. 190hp is plenty for what I use my truck for but, still like to tell people when they ask the truck has 210 or so. JH68
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Invest in a good flowing cat back system, any good muffler shop can build you one for under $200. It is the best bang for the buck, IMO.

You'll gain HP and mileage.

Not to mention it will sound good! And you CAN feel the difference.

That should bump you to the 200 mark, and if no one believes you make them pay for the dyno time to prove it wrong ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

This cat back system will it hurt the warranty? The price is for single exhaust? We had some good weather here lately mid 60's not bad for December. So, I had the windows down. Wishing I had the exhaust on the truck. JH68
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Should be no problem. Someone posted the laws concerning this. It basically that they would have to prove that the modification caused the problem in order to deny your warranty claim.

I did the 3" cat back with a Delta flow muffler, love it.

I'm not sure what everyone else has done.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Thanks I will check into this. All I have to do is get my wife to along with this. JH68
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

I agree with Henry, The cat back is a good choice as well. But if a code throws on the truck, they can clam that the aftermarket exhaust could be the cause. I just had that happen this morning. I'm going to post a question in the NOS sections, please read and comment.

But I was the one who posted the law., but I see how they can get around the issue. Read and you'll see.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

just do it, it wont void no warranty
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I hope not. I going to nag to my wife about this untill she gives in or she tells me to forget it or she will cut me off. You all know what I mean. I'm still thinking about a one piece hood, ram air or cowl. I doing to do one or the other. The hood will be this spring. JH68
smaney1
Regular
Regular

Post by smaney1 »

The Gibson stainless might be a good double whammy: increase flow and reduce weight! The stock aluminized exhaust seems about 20 lbs heavier than the stainless.
[size=75]'03 S-10 Crew Blue

opts: locking 3.73, on/off road tires (to be replaced), mods: Gibson stainless exhaust, TYC tails, clear fronts, bed extender, for daughter (elmo vanity plate, rear cupholder), planned: 18's and/or bigger tires, flame accents, wheel spacers, tonneau, ...[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smaney1 wrote: The stock aluminized exhaust seems about 20 lbs heavier than the stainless.
Did they change? My 2001 ,was stainless stock.

I went with 3" aluminized, I did feel pretty bad about wasting the stock stainless system.

- ThunderII KE7CSK