Swing away spare tire carrier

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Swing away spare tire carrier

Post by HenryJ »

I have been debating and working on this mod for quite some time. I tried modifying Isuzu Rodeo brackets, started to build my own brackets , and then came across a wrecked BlaZeR2 at the salvage yard. The brackets looked as close as anything that I had seen to date and the rack , although needing paint was not too bad, so I bought it.

The upper bracket needed extensive modification, and the latch bar bracket for the tailgate had to be notched to clear the tailgate release handle. Of course major reinforcements were needed as well.

It took some nerve to drill six holes in the rear fender and five in the tailgate, but it is done now, no going back.

The idea behind this is to be able to pack a second spare and not take up what little room I have left in the back. The Owyhee desert and especially the areas that I go around Dry Creek require the extra spare tire. It will also serve as a place to mount a highlift, Help support a pole for shade. and a place to secure the tent. I may also incorporate a shelf on it at some point.

Just one more step in having it "expedition ready" :mrgreen:

It is not "perfect" , but will work and almost looks stock.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

HJ:

doesn't that tire ubstruct your view when using the rear view mirror? how about air flow/drag when you're driving, noticeable?
i never would have thought to mount a spare back there. congrats on a sweet mod, and another crew cab first!
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bwenny247 wrote:Doesn't that tire obstruct your view when using the rear view mirror?
Yes, like I said it is not perfect. I can only see the top of small cars behind me. This should come in handy at night , since it will block the headlamps somewhat.
... how about air flow/drag when you're driving, noticeable?
Not so far. I add the cargo box on top for trips, so I doubt this will add what that does.
...i never would have thought to mount a spare back there. congrats on a sweet mod, and another crew cab first!
Thanx. Nothing new for a ZR2 Blazer though ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

looks great since i got the 32's i was thinking of making a custum rack to mount a full size spare. you beet me to it. but looks great
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

bwenny247 wrote:doesn't that tire ubstruct your view when using the rear view mirror?
That's what side mirrors are for! who uses rear view mirrors anyway? :wink:
Looks great Hj! :thumb: Your mods never seem to end! :D
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:
bwenny247 wrote:doesn't that tire ubstruct your view when using the rear view mirror?
That's what side mirrors are for! who uses rear view mirrors anyway? :wink:
Looks great Hj! :thumb: Your mods never seem to end! :D
Well I caved to all the pressure :roll:

I fabbed a plate to drop the tire 3.5".

I must say that you were all right it does look and perform better :D
You're right the side mirrors to work just fine, and it almost gets annoying on how the mods just keep coming :lol:
I should be done for a while though...maybe ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
badandy2003cc4x4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

looks nice

Post by badandy2003cc4x4 »

I like the tire mount but is there any fear of the mount being to heavy for yur bed side? I looked in to this a wile ago and was told we dont have the suport in the bed walls to do this. Hope it works for you as I like the look and would like to remove my spare from under my truck.
[size=75]2003 Sonoma SLS Akimoto conical air filter, soft tonneauver[/size]
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Looking good henryj... One quicky thing, did you add a reinforcement bracket to the inside of the fender or the tailgate?

I have a 99 2 door blazer with the stock tire on the back, and with time it will dent the panel and tailgate.... It was getting so bad I took the whole carrier off and put the tire inside with a stock mount.....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

twodoorblazer wrote:...did you add a reinforcement bracket to the inside of the fender or the tailgate?.....
Both.
3/16 plated the inside of both the fender and the tailgate. Plus gussets to tie the fender brackets to the "stake pocket" corner in the bed.
badandy2003cc4x4 wrote:... is there any fear of the mount being to heavy for yur bed side? ....
Sure , and time will tell.
The rack sits on the tailgate bracket so the pressure is off the bed side when the weight is across the truck. When it is open the forces are in line with the fender so there would be lots of strength there.
It works for the Blazers, so I hope with the reinforcements that I added, it will work for me too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:D Well I'm glad you dropped it a little.. At first glance I couldn't decide if liked it, but now that it is lower I think it fits the truck and loks really nice..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

thats a neat idea :)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks go to Seapahn for the mod page - Custom Spare Tire Drop
It helped me understand what needed to be done :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Swing away spare tire carrier

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:I have been debating and working on this mod for quite some time. I tried modifying Isuzu Rodeo brackets, started to build my own brackets , and then came across a wrecked BlaZeR2 at the salvage yard. The brackets looked as close as anything that I had seen to date and the rack , although needing paint was not too bad, so I bought it.
hey! you stole my idea!! :wink:

i've been thinking about doing that since i got my shell and put it on..
Actually I had worked on a mod many moons ago when i had an '88 Ford Ranger with a Snugtop on it.. That mod involved a Bronco II carrier, which was easier because it went from inside the tailgate on one side, to sinside the tailgate on the other side.. no external brakets like this one..
and yeah, the two major things stopping me were the fear of drilling holes in my truck body :shock: and not having a rack available around here.. plus I dont have a fullsize spare on a good rim (yet).

i really like that way that looks, not that i've seen how it really looks done, you have probably given me the bug to work on that later this summer :roll:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

HenryJ, I think it looks great and is a neat idea but I wanted to warn you of one con to this that my buddy experienced.

He fabricated a mount for his spare tire that placed it almost in the exact same place as yours. His was different because it was not a swing away to the side of the truck. Instead, he fabricated a bracket out of 2" square tubing that slid into his receiver and swung down. Anyway, we were offroading in the woods and he backed into a tree. Well, since the tire rack stuck out farther than the rear bumper, it hit the tree and bashed it into his tailgate. There was a lot of damage to the sheet metal and paint of his tailgate.

So, that's my story and just wanted you to be aware of the possibilities of having a spare tire there. If your really careful, you won't run into this problem. Make sure you have a spotter when backing up in tight places because this tire rack makes it a little harder to judge clearance in the back of your truck. Also, since yours is bolted to the side of the truck, you would stand to incur a lot more damage than just the tailgate.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yellow Hammer wrote:...I wanted to warn you of one con to this that my buddy experienced...
Thanks for the warning :D I actually think it makes it easier to judge the back end now that I have something to see in the back. With the tool box on the back I can't see the top of the tailgate. Having the top of the spare tire showing is nice.

I am not so sure that the reason the Blazers mount the spare so high is to avoid hitting the spare and damaging the tailgate.

I have thought about what to do if such a thing occurs. I'd either find a replacement tailgate, or build my own "Airgate". As for the fender, I'm not sure. Hope I never have a problem :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

HenryJ wrote:Thanks for the warning
No problem. I wanted to share my friends experience with you after I saw this post because I hate seeing trucks get tore up when it can be avoided. Otherwise, I think it looks great. Good Job! :thumb:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

HJ - in your research - have you come across anyone talking about adding that tire carrier to a 4door blazer like mine?

I really want to get a spare on the back of mine - I posted a thread earlier HERE with a guy that built his custom setup - I would like to do a bumper mounted swing away, but without a welder at the moment I can't get to work on that.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

HenryJ wrote:
The idea behind this is to be able to pack a second spare and not take up what little room I have left in the back. The Owyhee desert and especially the areas that I go around Dry Creek require the extra spare tire. It will also serve as a place to mount a highlift, Help support a pole for shade. and a place to secure the tent. I may also incorporate a shelf on it at some point.

Just one more step in having it "expedition ready" :mrgreen:

It is not "perfect" , but will work and almost looks stock.
HJ -- one thing to consider in your expedition quest - make sure you're not slinging too much weight out there for your frame to handle - I know the tacomas have had issues with frame failures when mounting swing away tire carriers, aux fuel tanks, batteries etc aft of the axle...
http://www.tankota.net/Misc/Bentframe/framebent.htm

good info here on how an expedition company has reinforced their tacoma doublecab can be found here:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipmen ... frame.html

Just FYI - I'd hate to see a frame replacement be required down the road.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:... make sure you're not slinging too much weight out there for your frame to handle - I know the tacomas have had issues with frame failures ...
Thanks for bringing that up :thumb: I'll look into how strong our frame is and compare to the "Toyota issue" . I was briefly aware that they were weak above the axle, but didn't really look into it closely. They have a longer bed and more of an opportunity to load behind the axle.
My auxiliary fuel tank is forward of the axle in the tool box along with most of my gear. I do pack water and coolers in the back , aft of the axle.

Good point though, I'll put some thought into where I am adding weight :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i had thought this before but i have been gone for a bit what if you side mounted it i mean just over the fender well so that you can attach it over the bed that would be awesome i dont think the functionability would be as great but that way it would just sit over the bed and with a tonneau i would look awesome
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Kewl, I like it. I'll be needing a new spot for my new bigger spare soon. But if you need more tha one spare, I think you need better tires, more tougher ones. Ugh.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:...if you need more tha one spare, I think you need better tires, more tougher ones. Ugh.
You have never had to travel 60 miles of fractured basalt and shale before. The rock in the Owyhees can shred a tire in a heartbeat if you are not careful.
I have been lucky so far, but I have had to loan a tire to a friend more than once. Wouldn't want to offer my only spare ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
j0ker v1.25

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

Now you just need the matching rim.

Looks great. Keep us all posted on the long term pros/cons.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

This is going to be my next mod, not right away but as of today I am starting to save the money.

HJ
HenryJ wrote:The upper bracket needed extensive modification, and the latch bar bracket for the tailgate had to be notched to clear the tailgate release handle.
Can you elaborate a little bit on the extensive modification?

badandy2003cc4x4 wrote:I like the tire mount but is there any fear of the mount being to heavy for yur bed side?
Did this ever become an issue?
YellowHammer wrote:Anyway, we were offroading in the woods and he backed into a tree.
Have you had any problems backing into trees and destroying your tailgate? :lol: :wink:
adrenalnjunky wrote:HJ -- one thing to consider in your expedition quest - make sure you're not slinging too much weight out there for your frame to handle - I know the tacomas have had issues with frame failures when mounting swing away tire carriers, aux fuel tanks, batteries etc aft of the axle...
Any problems here that you have noticed?

HJ I like your set up and want to go in the same direction with a little twist.

But I really like the look of quickbikers, the way it is angled, but don't want to go into tearing my bumper off and cutting on the rear fenders :!: .

I don't have the tools or the knowledge and time to do this myself. I will have a shop do it. I just want to have as much info as possible so I know what I am talking about.

And I plan on buying the matching wheel and tire to match, I think this will look great.

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

or have someone Fab you up something like the tiregate
TIREGATE
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Yeah, I have seen this and Four Wheel Parts sells them for about a grand.

I don't plan on spending half that.

I still think HJ and quickbikers set up looks better.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

(if you have a rear hitch)

What about making something that sticks up from the hitch to mount a tire to it?? Kinda like those bicycle carriers.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

something like this would be sweet carrys a tire and 2 gas cans

or this hooks to rear hitch

Image[/img]
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Chop it up! That's the only way to go! lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:The upper bracket needed extensive modification, and the latch bar bracket for the tailgate had to be notched to clear the tailgate release handle.
Can you elaborate a little bit on the extensive modification?
Basically the BlaZer2s profile is flat and vertical. Ours is rounded and less than straight up. I ground out the inside to conform to the shape of our bedside. The BlaZers gate is also narrower. This means I had to cut the inner portion off through that bolt hole.
Steve2003 wrote:
badandy2003cc4x4 wrote:I like the tire mount but is there any fear of the mount being to heavy for yur bed side?
Did this ever become an issue?
Nope. Actually twice I have failed to properly latch the carrier , only to find it swing open on a corner. Not a good feeling. So far there has been no damage , or indication of such.
Steve2003 wrote:
YellowHammer wrote:Anyway, we were offroading in the woods and he backed into a tree.
Have you had any problems backing into trees and destroying your tailgate?
:lol: No problems. It barely sits back farther than the rear bumper with the 33x9.50s
Steve2003 wrote:
adrenalnjunky wrote:...make sure you're not slinging too much weight out there for your frame to handle - I know the tacomas have had issues with frame failures when mounting swing away tire carriers, aux fuel tanks, batteries etc aft of the axle...
Any problems here that you have noticed?
Actually I added another auxiliary tank under the back since that comment. The vehicle is really well balanced as indicated by the weigh in prior to the last trip. Front and rear are nearly the same.

Steve2003 wrote:... I like your set up and want to go in the same direction with a little twist.
No shop in their right mind would follow in my footsteps. There is just too much to risk and the time involved would make it really expensive. Look to a custom bumper. The Expeditions West Toyota Tacomas rear bumper is a nice example.
One like mine can be done, but is not "the easy way". What ever you do keep it simple to access the bed. Mine is fantastic in that way.
I will do what ever is needed to help if I can. Let me know if you need more information.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

HJ - does this look like the same carrier? The years seem wrong, but the brackets look similar. I'm still kicking this around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

That's not the same one, it's off of an older blazer.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'd like to find a wrecked Blazer2 - or any 2dr blazer with the carrier - and look at the inside of the mounting area - see what kind of reinforcing is there. That would let me know right away if I want to attempt this with my 4-door.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I remember that our 1994 Blazer 4 door had a swinging tire carrier on it.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

94 was still first-gen though wsn't it?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Yea it was the old style
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are right. Although that looks similar, it is first gen. Not the same as mine.

Look for a ZR2 Blazer in a salvage yard near you.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Here is a good Live Search for finding used auto parts.

Or try here - Car-part.com -HJ
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Another option? Hitch Gate

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Another option? Hitch Gate
They want over $900 for the Tire Gate :shock: , so I wonder how much they want for one of these? :?:

Still a cool option though. :wink:

Steve
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

killian96ss wrote:They want over $900 for the Tire Gate :shock: , so I wonder how much they want for one of these? :?:

Still a cool option though. :wink:

Steve

Hitch Gate Only $690.00 :shock:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

:lol: Oh, and don't forget the license plate relocation kit for an additional $80, which brings the total to $770. :roll:

It's better than $900, but for a little more money I would rather have the Tire Gate. :wink:

Either way they are both way overpriced. :!:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Brule, your swing away spare tire carrier is more convenient and much cheaper than all the "other" options that you have listed so far, as long as you can locate the parts and don't mind some doing some fab work. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...your swing away spare tire carrier is more convenient and much cheaper than all the "other" options that you have listed so far, as long as you can locate the parts and don't mind some doing some fab work.
Agreed. Nice to gather all the ideas though. A nice hitch mounted carrier would be handy for those that might find the way I did mine intimidating.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

killian96ss wrote:Don't forget the license plate relocation kit for an additional $80, which brings the total to $770. :roll:

I Just Got The June Issue Of ORA Magazine On Page 74 They Have The Hitch Gate Priced At $329.99 At 4 Wheel Parts. Maybe A Misprint? Maybe A Realistic Price? I Havent Called And Checked.

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

gocntry wrote:I Just Got The June Issue Of ORA Magazine On Page 74 They Have The Hitch Gate Priced At $329.99 At 4 Wheel Parts. Maybe A Misprint? Maybe A Realistic Price?
If the price is legit then this option would be much more reasonable and probably worth it. :D

Since it is an advertised price it would seem that they would have to honor it even if it is a misprint. :?:

Good find gocntry. :thumb:

Steve
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

http://www.tiregate.com/hg.shtml

MSRP is $690.

Im gonna call tomorrow and see if I can order one. Been looking for a way to carry a spare and a better way to mount my hi-lift.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

gocntry wrote:I Just Got The June Issue Of ORA Magazine On Page 74 They Have The Hitch Gate Priced At $329.99 At 4 Wheel Parts.
Too funny, I was just going to post about this too. I saw it in my ORA magazine as well.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

kauaibuilt47 wrote:Im gonna call tomorrow and see if I can order one.

Just Wondering If You Were To Buy One For That Price??
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Been too busy to order it and then forgot about it until now.....
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kauaibuilt47 wrote:Been too busy to order it and then forgot about it until now.....
You waited too long.
Roadie wrote:It was indeed a typo. List is $690. I called them the day the magazine came out, and they coughed a bit and gave me a one-time deal in the low $500's.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

JamesDowning wrote:CBI just came out with a new model of carrier. Mine came in yesterday! Image This new one has a pass-through receiver to allow you to hook up shackle brackets or even a mobile winch.

I just got mine in yesterday, but it is rock solid:
Link image
Note the pass thru receiver. Steve reinforced the central tube of the carrier to withstand recovery forces.

Instead of a hitch pin, the male end of the carrier is threaded. The bolts on either side are grade 8, and they take out all wiggle from that joint. Further back, you see the receiver tube. This is even cut at a angle to preserve the rear approach angle and act as a skid if necessary. Further up, you can see the tilt mechanism. This has a hand knob that allows you to tighten the carrier, and again get rid of rattles.

link photo
Use with the tire leaned back and the gate up. It's a bit of a tight squeeze around the hi-lift to get into the trunk, but it's certainly workable. (You can drop it even more if you don't have the recovery shackle attached.)

Overall I'm very pleased. If anyone is interested, Steve takes orders by e-mail (found on his website http://cbioffroadfab.com/) and then he makes them custom to your specifications. Plus, its a great value. I paid $320 with shipping included. He also offers a version with a license plate mount + light. Steve's produced a great product and delivered with great customer service!
I like it!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is a another nice idea:
Mud Man wrote:... the colonel mustard cj they had. it had a swing down gate that i was looking at doing for my other blazer.
heres the Project build link

I like how it moves with the tailgate. I could see something like that using the receiver hitch as the lower mount.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I like both ideas! I can see some scaring of sandstone on some Moab trails. :mrgreen:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I like both ideas, id like the second more if it didnt involving drilling the tail gate... but that a bit to rich for my blood!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:I like both ideas, id like the second more if it didnt involving drilling the tail gate... but that a bit to rich for my blood!
That heeps owner was shy about drilling body parts. That tail light mod required a 4" hole saw...... :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I don't think that system will hold up on the trail at all. Look at the movement when he mounts the spare to the system. It is around the 35 second mark. Way to much movement. Once the jack and tanks are mounted, there will be allot more stress there. We had a member lose is swing out carrier, spare and jack this past weekend. He trailered it and found them missing when he got home. It utilized a trailer wheel spindle and was a high quality aftermarket model.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Interesting product!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I really like the simple tensioner.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am a tad leery of
Carries up to 40" tires (150 lbs)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

F9K9 wrote:I am a tad leery of
Carries up to 40" tires (150 lbs)
Does sound like a fatigue problem waiting to happen, bouncy bounce , crackedy twist ! :eyes:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN