Cup Holder For The Back Seat

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Cup Holder For The Back Seat

Post by Jim »

I found a cup holder that can be attached to our rear door panels 1.5" when folded up

GERMAN ENGINEERED CUP HOLDER $16.95 Each

This cool Cup Holder opens with a one-hand movement and automatically adjusts to fit all types of cups, glasses and bottles. Will hold 12 fluid-ounce cans to 1 liter water bottles. Not some cheesy add-on, but nicely made in Germany. In fact, it's the same cup holder as in the Mercedes 500SL. When folded, measures 4 3/4"l x 4"w x 1 1/2"h. Finally, a quality cup holder for my CREW CAB.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car ... +holder.do
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

sweet, are you going to do it?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like a nice find :thumb:

Are you installing a pair?

I'd like to see a picture , if so?

I'll wait for another "Guinea pig" before I decide to get some ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Hirolln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hirolln »

It seems like there should be one that comes out of the back of the center console. Theres a hole there with a plastic plug covering it. I can't believe they didn't put one there to begin with.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i cant believe that the back seat didnt come with cup holders and that the back seat doesnt come out. thats the only complaint i have. well i would like to have the 5.3 v-8 in here too. okay now i am done :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:sweet, are you going to do it?
They're ordered but the way I am :shock: I'll probably have to paint them charcoal & may need to find some replacement door panels before I drill into mine! First I'll sticky tape them in place...see if the kids like the location. I know the big boys like the way they can put the windows down with their knees...maybe the location will block them from doing that :lol:

I think a cup holder would break off the rear of the console, they should have just made a depression in the rear of the armrest for one cup.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

have them chromed :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Maybe a hybrid door panel can be made from a crew and a Jimmy

door panel. Perhaps get another set of crew front door panels and make them work in the rear. It could look like factory.

Another little thing GM missed the boat, just a tiny step rearward.

Maybe in the new Colorado, like as in the Envoy. Now that is keeping up with the Explorer, with rear seat A/C controls.
smaney1
Regular
Regular

Post by smaney1 »

I put in a $5.00 dual cup holder in charcoal that fits in the center of the rear seat. My daughter loves it 'cus she can set some crayons or cds or something on it. I bought it at auto zone. This is no big deal but I could post or email a picture if anyone is interested.

Funny thing about the paradigm that there should be a cupholder at rear of console: the Avalance doesn't have one either! The cupholders in that vehicle are a flip down in the center of the rear seat.

'03 S-10 crew blue

flame accent rear gate

flame billet chmsl cover

gibson stainless exhaust

TYC altezza lights

clear front corners

bed extender

hard tonneau?

grille ??

18" wheels ??

[/list]
[size=75]'03 S-10 Crew Blue

opts: locking 3.73, on/off road tires (to be replaced), mods: Gibson stainless exhaust, TYC tails, clear fronts, bed extender, for daughter (elmo vanity plate, rear cupholder), planned: 18's and/or bigger tires, flame accents, wheel spacers, tonneau, ...[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I gotta double check, but after sitting in my back seat the back of the center console looks just like my '01 Malibu. I'm wondering if I can't snag one of the cup holders from a Malibu and through it in there.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Hirolln wrote:It seems like there should be one that comes out of the back of the center console. Theres a hole there with a plastic plug covering it. I can't believe they didn't put one there to begin with.
That's a DC power supply. Like a cigarette lighter plug.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

barch97 wrote:
Hirolln wrote:It seems like there should be one that comes out of the back of the center console. Theres a hole there with a plastic plug covering it. I can't believe they didn't put one there to begin with.

really, i never looked into it. so we have power already running into that back seat?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:
barch97 wrote:

really, i never looked into it. so we have power already running into that back seat?

I took the cover off & there is nothing in there :?
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Here it is...I'm not sure where to put it or them :?

Wherever I needs sprayed Graphite :shock:
Best Regards, Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

is that in your truck? looks good. i still say they should be chromed :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:is that in your truck? looks good. i still say they should be chromed :lol:

Chromed :puke:

I haven't found anything else in the interior that is chrome or I may think about it.

Yea, thats it sticky taped in my truck.

Did you find power in the rear of your console? I didn't.
Best Regards, Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

nope didnt look, my truck is somewhere in texas :cry:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

That little thing on the back of the console is for an ashtray. I had a 95 blazer and there was an ashtray that spun around out of site.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Oops...

Sorry, didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up. I was mistaken. Must've been thinking about wife's saturn.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

barch97 wrote:Oops...

Sorry, didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up. I was mistaken. Must've been thinking about wife's saturn.

:lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Jim

Post by Jim »

barch97 wrote:Oops...

Since it's empty I thought about putting a courtesy light in there :idea:
Best Regards, Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i think it would be cool to have a cooler right there instead :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim, What ever happened with this cup holder?
I see it is still available.

My son will soon outgrow the booster seat that has his cup holders. I am trying to gather ideas for my next move.

Seems like you used to have a picture of one installed?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

The boating supply stores carry them.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:Jim, What ever happened with this cup holder?
I see it is still available.

My son will soon outgrow the booster seat that has his cup holders. I am trying to gather ideas for my next move.

Seems like you used to have a picture of one installed?
I never installed them, now that you reminded me of them I should look into incorporating them into the custom door panels I'm thinking of making for the rear doors, right now I'm running Bravada front panels and still have the cheesy original panels on the rear.
I put these on my wifes car, they worked out ok.
Last edited by Jim on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

24digger wrote:That little thing on the back of the console is for an ashtray. I had a 95 blazer and there was an ashtray that spun around out of site.
Ashtray's are on the rear doors on my '03... I too thought the center console could be for optional power port...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well Jim, you had five years to do this an I may beat you to the punch :lol:
I ordered two of the cup holders that appear to be the same as the ones from Groit's Garage.
These are by Fischer.
This cup holder started off as a Genuine factory option for the Luxury Mercedes Benz E300 4Matic wagon, Specifically for the rear 3rd seat passengers. Later on GM put it in the Sporty retro Chevy SSR...high quality German made cup holders
I bought two on ebay from scottlandyardspares
Two cost me $31.32 shipped.

I did look at literally hundreds of options. Some looked weak. The Corvette cup holders that mount to the side of the transmission tunnel looked pretty good, but they were expensive. I considered a center console for the rear seat. One from a Jeep looked like it might be an option. It too was expensive and I did not want to lose the room.

I considered mounting in the rear of the front console, or one of the front seats. I worry about them getting stepped on or broken there.

There were lots of cheaper cup holders. These just looked to be of the quality I want and should fit nicely on the rear door panels.

We will see.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

That's where the ones came from I put on my wifes car, ebay link they used to have a nice vinyl covering and a cork coaster. I see now they cost alot less and arn't as nice. I stuck them fast with 3M super tape which will adhere to brick.
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I was a little nervous of that design in a back seat location involving kids operating them.

looks to be sturdier? It has a thicker lower shelf and attached support. That was my reasoning behind buying it.
It did not hurt that is was installed in the SSR. That might speak to its quality?

3M supertape is all you used? Is that the same as the double stick foam emblem adhesive tape?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Where do you find it locally? Wallyworld hardware?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have only seen 3M brand. Scotch may be up to good :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Scotch is 3M.
The last roll I picked up I got from my local Parts America. It works well but does fail in time in very cold weather I just had my outside wideview mirror come off the other day when it hit -9 I had reattached it when the original adhesive gave up about a year and a half ago.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Scotch is 3M..........
Brian, please don't cloud the issue with facts! :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Bonus points if you know why it's scotch tape and what 3m stands for.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hmmm. The emblem foam tape has not had cold weather problems. It might be a better choice?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I could google it but, you have already talked me out of serious change in the last 18 hrs :lol:Image

Off topic :oops:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

More info on 3M VHB Tapes they make a lot of versions I am sure we get the least quality over the counter so to speak.

Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing
An ethnic slur based on the small amount of adhesive on the original transparent tape they made. The adhesive was only on the very edges not in the middle leading to a customer complaining about the manufacturer being cheap.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They showed up and were both installed today:

Image Image

I like them! Thanks for the idea Jim! :thumb:

I used the 3M emblem adhesive tape and screws to mount them. I get a little rough offroad at times and did not want them coming loose :mg:

This looked to be the best position. My knee is above it when seated. I do not hit it when getting out. It is not an uncomfortable position to use. Time will tell if it was a good move.

In the shadows the color difference is not noticeable. About the same difference as the padded armrest. These are black. The armrest is a little darker gray. I don't think they look out of place. Closed they fit in nicely.

The holders are well built. I was pleased with the quality. Really looks OEM.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I like it. :thumb: Very EZ and useful mod.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

So JIM did you do a write up on your bravada door skin swap?
I would love to see how you did it. It looks very sharp and if its easy enough for a fool with tools like me I would like to try it. :drool:
Jim

Post by Jim »

brandons4door wrote:So JIM did you do a write up on your bravada door skin swap?
I would love to see how you did it. It looks very sharp and if its easy enough for a fool with tools like me I would like to try it. :drool:
I didn't do the rear yet I haven't found 97 rear panels on ebay yet and haven't had time to look in the yards. The front all I did was remove the ol panels and pop on the Bravada ones.
Best Regards, Jim
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

This may not be nearly as attractive as the cup holder pictured that you've installed Jim, but with my wrecking crew, um I mean....my boys, it is simple and easy to replace once they've, we'll say 'used' it. It is just a simple cheapo available almost anywhere for under $2, the ones designed to slip into the channel of the window, and only requires a screw driver for installation without any holes or sticky stuff added where it wasn't originally. I simply took out the one screw holding the rear door release handle and window and lock switches, removed the assembly and folded the flexible portion of the cup holder over according to how low I wished it to hang. Slipped it over the lip of the opening and re-installed the assembly. Didn't seem to place too much stress on the door or assembly, and is very stable. It has been road tested already with 12 oz. cans, 20 oz. bottles, and regular sized cups from the nasty McD's place, without incident. I may put a small piece of some sort of adhesive fabric on the back where it contacts the door panel to alleviate any chance of scuffing from vibration. Here is a link to a photo to help explain what I did.
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Easier to replace when my boys break them. and cheaper, but then compared to the ones you guys have installed it might look like I'd be the guy to 'camo' his truck! Or that my next big home improvement project might be something to the effect of losing the axles and adding a permanent foundation?
:lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Cup Holder For The Back Seat

Post by HenryJ »

Cup holder update:
The German designed cup holder available from Groit's Garage were...Ok. They survived for quite a while. The passenger side broke a couple of the pins. It still held a drink, but took efforts to close properly.
With experience behind me now, I did not reinvest in those again. Too pricey for the durability. This time I opted for the less expensive folding cup holders: NAPA Cup Holder # 751-1027 $5.49

Availability is good. Less than half the price of the German cup holders. Time will tell if they are a good investment.

Image Image

- ThunderII KE7CSK