This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Used skidplates what to look for?

Post by Conman »

OK,

I'm planning on taking the crew offroading more than my Trooper this year so time for skidplates. Just to clarify we only have the front plastic skidplate and that's it?

So I should get the following:

Front Skid plate in metal

Engine Skidplate (get brackets also)

Transfer case skidplate (old one is metal, new ones are carbon fiber or similar)

gastank skidplate (get Brackets also)

What years would work? I know the gastank can be taken from a s10 ext cab but what about the rest?

Thanks,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It has been quite some time since I've checked this stuff out so , some one may correct me.

You can use the aluminum ones , or the composite (fiberglasslike) shields.

Image Image

The front steering shield needs to have the oil door , for access to the oil filter.

I'm not sure what year they re-located it. My guess would be '94-up S-series. The ZR2 front steering shield will not work as it is taller and shaped differently.

Left is Non-ZR2 and the right is a RPO ZR2 front steering shield.
All the shields that fit look just like the stock plastic shield.The bolts for the stock plastic shield will work fine.

The front axle shield (engine shield) and brackets: '90-'9? have a rectangular hole for the oil drain plug on the old steel pans and require notching the rear, for our relocated drain plug. But it does fit. '98-up have the rear notch and no hole.

You will also need the two rear mounting brackets w/ at least one of the axle mount bolts and four mushroom headed torx bolts, w/ plastic isolators and spring washers. Any S-series 4x4 w/4.3L will work. The composite shield is about an inch thick.

The transfer case shield: I'm not sure all the years here, but '98-up for sure. The aluminum shield is shallower than the composite shield allowing about an inch more ground clearance. The autotrac transfercase requires a deeper sump as does the ZR2. Either will fit ours, but they hang down lower.

The one on the left is off of a RPO ZR2 and the one on the right off of a Non-ZR2.
Ours fits pretty tight and the transfercase is tucked up higher than the rest. You will need the three self tapping screws w/washers for the back mount.

For those early models with a steel fuel tank there is a fuel tank shield: '84-up will work with the correct front bracket and modification of the support brace. It is a little tight on the rear tank strap , but works. '96-up is better because of the relief they added for the fuel tank strap. You will also need five self tapping screws for the frame attachments, one long bolt and nut to mount through the crossmember, two bolts and one nut for the front bracket and of course the front bar brace. '84-up S-series ex-cab pickup.
I have seen composite fuel tank shields on some Blazers. I don't know if or what they might fit. It would be fun to try one.

If you are searching the wrecking yards, use the measurement from the trans mount holes to the rear mounting holes, as a reference for finding the right transfer case shield.

So I guess if the salvage yard has a '94-up S-series 4x4 it would be worth checking for all the shields. Most of the ones in my area do not inventory shields, so a phone call won't due. It requires a trip to the yard.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

john said that he put a zr2 front aluminum shield on and it hung down 3". so zr2's dont fit. also, after 98 the front and engine and transfer case all went to composite material. so pre 98 is aluminum. also, i would stress out about the gas tank. i have dont tons and tons of rock crawlin and havent scraped the tank yet. but i have used the other three like crazy. esp the front 2. those have saved me from accidents. whoops! get the front for sure and engine. if your careful, you wont hit any of them.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Wow, you guys have it pretty much covered! :)

Ok, So "preferred" shields:

94-97 Non-ZR2 front skid plate because metal instead of Plastic/composite.

98-up engine/axle shield because oil drain holes line up correctly. But older years work. (can we use ZR2 or diff. also?)

Trasfer case. Unsure what to look for still. I need the "Longer" shield? 98 and up uses composite now so look for older years. (Will ZR2 one's work?)

96-up preferred for fuel tank but 84-up ext. cab models work with minor mods.(ZR2 also?)

Also, where do I get the bolts and nuts, etc. and what type of grade?

Thanks,

Con

P.S. Love this site! :)
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:Trasfer case. Unsure what to look for still.
Measure from the rear transmission mount studs to the holes in the crossmember. It should be about 16 ?/?" I don't remember exactly. So long is a 4x4 and had the 4.3L engine and 4L60E tranny it should fit.
can we use ZR2
All except the front shield with oil door for ZR2's.

Don't forget to check the Bravada's for shields too. All Hobie's front diff shield brackets and bolts came off a early '90's Bravada.

I'd say the wrecking yard is your best bet for finding all the metric self tapping screws and bolts.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, i have looked at zr2's a bunch and thier engine shield and transfer case and gas tank look just like mine. but of course the front looks just like mine too :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Lots of Bravada's and other blazers here so that's probably what I'll find.

Thanks,

Con
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Here is a pic of my aluminum tcase shield. It didn't hang as much as I thought, and it's nice to know it's protected. I had to trim a bit off the rear and a bit off the side, but that's because of my lift and tbar relocators.

[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

man i always end up highcentered on some ledge with all the weight on my transfer case shield. that thing is strong
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\