Bumper vs. receiver hitch

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Masonrules

Bumper vs. receiver hitch

Post by Masonrules »

Hey all! I'm new to the site and this is my 1st post. I'll officially join the site when that is an option again.

I bought an '01 S-10 crew a couple months ago and REALLY like it!

I will occasionally tow a fish/ski boat, maybe 3 times/year, so was planning to get a receiver hitch for the truck. I noticed there are actually safety chain hooks on the truck's bumper so I did some looking in the owner's manual. The book says that loads of up to 3,500 lbs. and 350 lbs. tongue weight can be towed with the bumper.

I was just curious if anybody out there is towing loads like this with their stock bumper? Thanks!
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Mason, on behalf of everyone here, let me be the first to welcome you to the site!!!! feel free to post any questions, anytime.

so congrats on your new truck. i want a 02 or newer cuz of the egr and cuz of the cd and cassestte in the dash. anywho,

about your ?

tow with your bumper and spend the 150 that you will save to buy a good wake board :D

no really, to tow and average boat, like up 25', your bumper is fine. what you cant see is the steel that runs thru the bottom of your bumper. its a tough one. i personally seen an s-10 bumper pull a 22' 4000 lbs sail boat out of the water and all around town with no problems.

i only have a hitch cuz i was towing another car on a trailer. before that i used the bumper to tow boats or what not. the boat i was towing was a 23' deep v bottom with the 454 in board out board. i had no problems.

hope that helps :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, the rear bumber is very strong on our trucks.

Hobbie, what da deal with the egr??? And mine is an 01 and I got cassette and CD. I only ordered it with CD, but when I picked it up, it had the cassette also, I didn't pay for the option. I think I've used it once or twice so far, so it's a waste of space for me. LOL

I just need an 8 track player. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

quickbiker wrote:I just need an 8 track player. :lol:

Why not throw a turntable in there too just to be on the safe side. :lol:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

I'd rather get the reciever, so I won't scratch my painted bumper :D
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

anvil wrote:I'd rather get the reciever, so I won't scratch my painted bumper :D

Plus if you pull a short/tall trailer, you can get a receiver that's the correct height, unlike the bumper ball which is only at one height. If you tow alot, I would recommend a hitch and get a receiver that matches the trailer you tow.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

get the rollpan, the hidden hitch and flip up license plate to make it look sporty 8) no full size spare though :?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well, if you pull all the time,eventually you will damage that roll pan when you back into it. just be careful if you go that route

the s-10 doesnt sit high at all, so i dont think height is a problem. the receiver hitch is lower than the bumper, and most trailers i tow need more tongue height so i dont drag it on the ground when going up a hill or something.

and 02's dont have an egr. plain and simple. so they have more power and better gas mileage.

and in the 02's the cassete is in the dash, not the floor like the 01's
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

So you guys are saying are trucks can handle the bigger boats. I know my boat is within the tow rating but can the truck handle it is my question? Will it have enough power to get it out of the water.

Here is my boat: http://larsonboats.com/escape/0050234io.htm

With trailer and gas I am pushing close to 5,000Lbs. The only problem is coming out of the water almost all landings are on a decent incline will the truck have enough power?

Thanks,

Dave
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SlickDaddy »

If you are really that worried about pulling your boat out of the water, why dont you just drop it in 4LO. As long as you go slow and dont turn too much you should be fine, and I really doubt youll get any wheel spin in 4LO just keep it slow and straight.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yeah, well mabey a hitch then. that is a pretty big boat.

and about coming out of the water. power isnt the problem, you could use the 2.2 4cylnder. gears and traction is the problem.

either put it in 1st in 2wd. or if its wet or whatever, after you back in, drop down into 4-lo and 1st, then slowly come out straight, DO NOT TURN, and after you are out, then go back into 2wd.

you do know how to go to 4-lo right?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

AZS10Crew wrote:
quickbiker wrote:I just need an 8 track player. :lol:

Why not throw a turntable in there too just to be on the safe side. :lol:

Hey, I have an old Victrola you can throw in there if you want.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:well, if you pull all the time,eventually you will damage that roll pan when you back into it. just be careful if you go that route

the s-10 doesnt sit high at all, so i dont think height is a problem. the receiver hitch is lower than the bumper, and most trailers i tow need more tongue height so i dont drag it on the ground when going up a hill or something.

and 02's dont have an egr. plain and simple. so they have more power and better gas mileage.

and in the 02's the cassete is in the dash, not the floor like the 01's

I think the 02 still have the cassete in the floor, the 03s have it in the dash. I don't have a cassete as I got the indash changer instead.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well i am sure its just one of those things. john has an 02 and he has the different head unit. its black with cd and cassette right in the dash. but i bet some 02's have it on the floor as well
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

I have a late 2002 Crew, and I have a cassette, and CD player all in the same radio, in the dash.

From what I read, at the end of the 2002 truck season, the General started putting in upgraded radios.

I also have two lighted vanity mirrors ( I don't know if that was not available prior though)

I know my color, Flame Yellow, was not available until late in the 02 model year.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I ordered my yellow in early april and got it around end of may, mine has the cd and cassette in one unit. I could have ordered around march, so they were available fairly early.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I towed a 2500 lb camper and all the things a small family needs and had to get weight equalizer bars to tow level. Therefore I required a 2 inch reciever. I would recomend the reciever because of the many options in height and types of ball mounts.

Brad

P.S 02 crew and jayco pop-up(2500), firewood,drinking water,coolers, two montainbikes,etc,etc. Raced tractor trailers up hills an eastern Kentucky. 4.3 kicks ass(K&N and Tornado)
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

a2b wrote:and 02's dont have an egr. plain and simple. so they have more power and better gas mileage.

Is there an easy mod that can be done to the 01's? Is it that much difference? :?:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:a2b wrote:

Is there an easy mod that can be done to the 01's? Is it that much difference?

Yes, the EGR limiter & CFM throttle blade. As for how much difference..well a little...mostly in throttle response. I did it for the life of the engine and cleaner intake manifold.

And as I have heard , the 2002's do still have the EGR system . It has been relocated in the manifold, some thing similar to the old 2.8L system using a passage in the head.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK