T-case Skid plate?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Mightym
Regular
Regular

T-case Skid plate?

Post by Mightym »

Well I bought me an 02 Crew Cab ZR5 about 3 weeks ago and I'm already looking to modify it. I was wandering if anybody had any pics of an Aluminum T-case shield so I know what I am looking for. Most of the Salvage yards around here throw away the shields and I've had to dig through piles of scrap metal to find skid plates. I found an Aluminum front shield and once it cleaned up it looked great, but the T-case plate I found seems to be too long. The rear holes on it line up with the crossbar that has my T-Bar adjustment bolts in it, but the crossmember just in front of it sits down lower and won't allow it to bolt up. Is it possible to trim the Shield and get it to mount to the front crossmember. I an still in the hunt for an Engine Skid plate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

This site looks like it has a lot of good info.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is a pretty good thread around here that describes what will and won't work.
The website mod page has all the pictures - Skidplates (shields) While the aluminum transfercase shield is not shown there it is the same as the composite one pictured-

Look for that stepped end. The first gen shields are more symetrical looking and will not fit even with alterations.

The first gen engine plate will work if need be. It has a hole for the steel pan oil drain plug and will be notched for the aluminum pans rear drain plug. All the brackets and bolts are the same though.

Welcome :wave:
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Welcome to the to the site Ron :wave:
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

welcome, mightym!!! :)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Welcome!!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

Thanks for the info on the T-Case shield, The one I have is more squared on the end. I wasn't sure if I could get it to work or if I should keep looking.

Thanks, Ron
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote: The first gen engine plate will work if need be. It has a hole for the steel pan oil drain plug and will be notched for the aluminum pans rear drain plug. All the brackets and bolts are the same though.
Ok, let's sort of "reverse" this and let me ask will the 2nd gen engine and front diff skid plates fit on a 1st gen S-10 Blazer? I already have the t-case shield (thanks again HJ!) but I need the engine and front diff shields.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:... will the 2nd gen engine and front diff skid plates fit on a 1st gen S-10 Blazer?
The engine shield would work, as will the brackets, but it will not be as easy to create a hole for accessing the drain plug.

For the front (steering) shield, I really don't know for sure. The front shields are very different. I know that the first gen front shield will not work on the second gen, but I have not tried the reverse to say for sure. My gut feeling says that it will not work.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:... will the 2nd gen engine and front diff skid plates fit on a 1st gen S-10 Blazer?
The engine shield would work, as will the brackets, but it will not be as easy to create a hole for accessing the drain plug.

For the front (steering) shield, I really don't know for sure. The front shields are very different. I know that the first gen front shield will not work on the second gen, but I have not tried the reverse to say for sure. My gut feeling says that it will not work.

Other than the second gen has the little door for the filter (which I wouldn't need), I wasn't sure if there was any other differences. I'm not sure the front shield is all that critical anyway. The steering and stuff seems to be tucked up in there pretty good, or at least good enough for anything I would go through. The engine shield though I'd say is definitely needed. I sure don't want to bang the oil pan on a rock. There is no way I want to pull that motor again!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The first gen steering shield is taller and sits back further at the top. There is actually quite a big difference between the two.
The need for one does exist. Without this shield you risk dislodging a belt and it may help to extend the low pressure zone that assists with cooling.

First gen shields are everywhere though. Not nearly as hard to find as second gen shields.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:First gen shields are everywhere though. Not nearly as hard to find as second gen shields.
I haven't seen too many S-10 4x4's in the junkyards here. Seems most are 2wd so, or course, no skid plates. Since I spent all that money on the Plasma cutter and Mig welder last year, maybe I'll try to fab up something. I'd like to have something to cover the tranny pan too.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rusty wrote:
HenryJ wrote:First gen shields are everywhere though. Not nearly as hard to find as second gen shields.

I haven't seen too many S-10 4x4's in the junkyards here. Seems most are 2wd so, or course, no skid plates. Since I spent all that money on the Plasma cutter and Mig welder last year, maybe I'll try to fab up something. I'd like to have something to cover the tranny pan too.

I know things are different in different areas but, around here the wrecks are moving fast through the junk yards around here. The price of steel is creating the situation or so I have been told.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...around here the wrecks are moving fast through the junk yards around here. The price of steel is creating the situation ...
Very true. And the older s-series are not nearly as profitable. Most yards make their money on vehicles around five years old.
You need to find a yard that holds on to a few older vehicles. Probably more than 50% of the first gens got shields on the 4x4's. so the odds of finding shields is better. It seems like only one in ten got them in the second gens.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I used to have an '01 Blazer that my wife drove. I got in it one day and heard an awful rattle under the truck. I got out and looked and here the transfer case skid plate had ripped out of the bolts and was hanging there. Asked the wife and here to find out, a couple days earlier she went shopping and got the truck stuck on top of a rock in the Burger King drive through. Could not get it off till she threw it in 4 low and never said anything. Called all over and could not find one at a junk yard anywhere. Did not want the $150 +/- bill from thedealer so i left it off till i traided it in.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

There aren't too many junkyards around here as it is. Most have sold off the land to the developers. The only one I know that keeps the older stuff (the same one I found the Benz in), doesn't have much of anything that hasn't already been picked clean.

I'm still not sure I want to try off roading the Blazer anyway. It may have a new tranny and newer motor (mileage unknown but seems Ok) but everything else has 223k miles on it. I'd be afraid of snapping an axle or something. By the way, I wonder if a ZR2 rear will bolt in. I know it's a little bit wider. I already have a 3.73 front diff to put in. Those 3.08 gears have got to go!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I picked up a few more shields today and though it was interesting that there were some subtle difference in the ZR2 shield.

Image Image

The one on the left is off of a ZR2 and the one on the right off of a Blazer.

It is interesting that there is a little difference. The Highrider (RPO ZR2) shield sits down a little lower in the sump just like the composite shields.

The Blazer shield tucks up tighter. The holes are all the same and it sure looks like they would interchange.
The outside left of the ZR2 shield sits a little higher. It may come closer to the torsion bar.
Of the two the Blazer shield looks stronger and tucks in better for clearance. The ZR2 shield is smoother and may leave a little more room around the transfercase.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maybe the slightly different shields are due to different transfer cases? :?:

Some of the Blazers like mine have Auto-Trac while others don't.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not likely in this case. The Shield pictured above is off a Highrider (truck). Auto was not an option for them as far as I know.

The auto transfercase is not physically much different from ours. You would likely have to inspect tags to know for sure, if you didn't see the second VSS.

The Non RPO ZR2 shield part number is 15983978
The RPO ZR2 shield part number is 15983979

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Not likely in this case. The Shield pictured above is off a Highrider (truck). Auto was not an option for them as far as I know.
Are there any subtle differences between the 231 and 233 that might warrant slightly different shields? :?:

How about the manual tranny/t-case combo, or did it use a completely different shield? :?:
The auto transfercase is not physically much different from ours. You would likely have to inspect tags to know for sure, if you didn't see the second VSS.
The Auto-Trac t-case in my 05 ZR2 is drastically different in every way from the t-case I had in my CC. :?:

In fact when I first saw my new Blazer the first thing I did was look under it and I said to myself about the t-case " what in the heck is that thing"? :lol:

It wasn't until I looked at the dash that I realized it had the Auto feature. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You may have nailed it Steve. I may have learned something new.
KedExx wrote:I have a 03 Z P/U. The T-Case shield doesnt fit. Its not deep enough. Only the Oil pan shield actually fits off the standard S series.
There may be a difference that I was unaware. He tried shields from a '98 Non ZR2 and the transfercase shield did not fit. It was not deep enough :shock: I don't think it is specifically an autotrac thing since I don't think that was an option for the P/U.

I am going to wait , as this will be confirmed when the shields that I sent out arrive in Texas.

The ZR2 shield should fit the Non ZR2 without problems. It would probably have a little extra room around the transfercase.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I took a look at some photos of an Autotrac in a BlaZer2. It does hang down a couple inches more than most.
I am guessing that the composite shield is the only one that will clear.
The aluminum shields do not have a sump as deep as the composite one.
I asked Tom to take a few pics of his x-case skid off of his 1995 Z pickup, and his are identical to the Highrider one you have. Probably the same one used from 94-98 on the pickups.
That is good to know! I didn't think to check the year of this one :(
I ran the VIN off of the receipt and it turns out they were both 1996 GMC. The Blazer was a four door and the Highrider an excab.

- ThunderII KE7CSK