Painting stock fender flares?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Painting stock fender flares?

Post by AZS10Crew »

I got to thinking today after I ordered some GTS smoke headlight and taillight covers, what it might look like to paint the stock "fender flares" a black (or very dark gray metallic) color? Would that look cool or ZR2 poser-ish? Would flat black be OK or something like the dark dark gray metallic that's on the ZR2's and ZR5's be better?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Re: Painting stock fender flares?

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:I got to thinking today after I ordered some GTS smoke headlight and taillight covers, what it might look like to paint the stock "fender flares" a black (or very dark gray metallic) color? Would that look cool or ZR2 poser-ish? Would flat black be OK or something like the dark dark gray metallic that's on the ZR2's and ZR5's be better?

If you are looking for opinions I have one. If I had an S-10 ZR5 the first thing I'd do is paint the flares the body color. If it was a Sonoma ZR5 I'd leave it alone.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Opinions are exactly what I was looking for. :)

I just thought that the black fender flares would look good with the smoke headlight and taillight covers I got. Now that I think about it though, the bumpers and adn grille and everything on my truck are body color, and I like the look of that, so why mess with a good thing? 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

IMO, " Blacking out" is done to hide what otherwise would "stick out" That is if it does not have a contrast next to it.

I think that the trucks with flares and rocker panels painted black look pretty good.

However, the paint matched flares on the Sonoma's and Highriders definately look great.

My truck looks a little "funny" (IMO) with the big black flares, but someday I plan to paint body line down black too.

This should hide the "Dumbo" ears, the only problem is that it may tend to make the truck look longer.

Here is a "photochop" of what it might look like:

I'd paint my flares body color, but as many scratches as I have now the paint wouldn't last long. The black plastic tends to hide the scratches pretty good.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

ZR-2 Fender Flares on a crew cab?

Post by EDWRDM »

has anyone tried to put the larger ZR-2 fender flares onto the ZR-5? One of mine got damaged last week, $292 to replace from the dealer, $222 with my cousins employee discount. The ZR-2 flares are the same price and I'd like to put the 31" tires and wheels and a lift kit to make the ZR-5 have the same appearance as the ZR-2.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd be really skeptical about Zr2 flares fitting. Not that they could not be made to fit, but it would definately NOT be a direct "bolt-on".

Of course the rears are completely different since we have the Isuzu Hombre styled bed.

The fronts may also pose a problem since the Zr2 may have a larger wheel opening (rumor not confirmed in person)

It would be nice to experiment with though.

The ideal situation would be to find a wrecked one with all the flares intact (fat chance) and transfer the Crew Cab to that chassis, then mod the flares to fit. (pipe dreams)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SlickDaddy »

I looked into it already.

The front ZR2 flares will fit and align up with the holes you have now. The front consists of 4 pieces, 2 on each side. There is the flare itself and a smaller piece for the lower facia.

The rears im not sure of. Anyways it was way to expensive, $300 for each flare plus $60 for each smaller piece. The whole truck would cost me $1320 from the dealer. Also I was looking at the sonoma's highrider since they would be painted bodycolor.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My appoligies :oops: I forgot that we were refering to a Zr5 here. There is a good chance the front flares would bolt on.

I stand corrected.

- ThunderII KE7CSK