Front Shield

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Hey brule is that skid plate chrome ar aluminum? I email one guy from gm parts and he said there 99.99 and on sale for 84.99 part #15155700 Is that your skid plate?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

warnoffroad wrote:Hey brule is that skid plate chrome ar aluminum? part #15155700 Is that your skid plate?

It's aluminum. I bought it through my local dealer to make sure that the aluminum one was the one I got (less trouble to return). I polished it a bit before installing. Yes that is the part# (I paid $79).

There is some good information on the Skid plate mod page

Check these threads for more information, It talks about what I did to polish it, and I remember something about that part # being the same one for the newer composite shields too?

Chrome skid plate

From the old forum:

Engine shield

T.case shield

Fuel tank shield

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes i ordered mine from gmparts.com and got the aluminum one which i think is stronger. but others have used the same part number and ordered from gmpartsdirect.com and got the composite ones.

personally, i have literaly thrashed my transfer case shield and need another one, i want an aluminum one this time!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

a2b wrote:... personally, i have literaly thrashed my transfer case shield and need another one, i want an aluminum one this time!

Was always fun to watch the "thrashing" first hand ;) You are VERY good at it by the way :D :P
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

seapahn wrote:
a2b wrote:... personally, i have literaly thrashed my transfer case shield and need another one, i want an aluminum one this time!

Was always fun to watch the "thrashing" first hand ;) You are VERY good at it by the way :D :P

well, as long as i am good at something :roll: i will take that :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

When was the change over from metal to plastic? Would that help in getting a metal one, or they just still order via parts number only? I guess I should hurry up and order one while they still have metal ones in stock.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well, its not plastic. its a composite material that is hella strong. 1998 was the last year for aluminum :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

I was a bit skeptikal at first about the "composite" ... but it is really strong stuff. I have bashed mine here and there and had the truck basically sitting on them at times and they have held up great. Best of all, they are really light.

I personally would prefer to have the metal just for the way it makes you feel but the composite has been really good so far on my Z. I have the metal ones on my old 92 blazer.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well, my transfer case shield totally buckled and split on that rock on the AB trip. so i think i need a new one :lol: wanna trade your aluminum one on your old blazer for my busted up composite one?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\