B&M ShiftPlus for 2002 CC?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockhead

B&M ShiftPlus for 2002 CC?

Post by Rockhead »

First off, I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. I stumbled upon it just a few days ago, and I've read almost every thread posted. This is a GREAT resource, and I hope to be able to help out.

I own a 2002 Crew Cab, auto, with a folding hard tonnau cover and some other minor mods. I've been looking at the B&M ShiftPlus shift improver, but it isn't available for anything newer than 98's. I called B&M and they said that the newer trucks have a different computer that their product isn't compatible with. Yet, I see on the mods page that someone has installed this kit on his 2002 CC with positive results. Can anyone advise if this works and if there area any glitches/problems? I mean, B&M flat-out said "It won't work". What gives?

Thanks for reading. I'll be visiting and posting again soon.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us like equals.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

In my personal opinion, I'd go with an internal shift kit before I would the B&M Shift+. From what I've heard, the B&M Shift+ only tricks the computer into increasing the line pressure, thereby firming up the shifts. Higher pressure=faster wear. I've heard of people blowing out their trannies by using the B&M unit all the time. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard of it.

Now...I used to have a TransGo internal shift kit in my 99 Z28 and that was a rock solid shift kit. I had it installed with maximum firmness (you can install 1-3 washers with the rest of the kit which determines how hard the shifts will be...more washers installed=firmer shifts) and that car would bark the tires on any 1-2 shift above 2500 RPM, and break the tires loose on WOT 1-2 shifts (with 2.73 rear end gears too). Not that you want to bark the tires on every shift in a truck, but if you have just two of the three washers installed with the rest of the kit, it will firm things up quite nicely. The kit alone was about $110 and install at a local performance shop was I think $180. You could do it yourself (it comes with an install video) if you have the tools and the knowledge, but as soon as I watched the video and saw them replacing tiny springs in the valve body and drilling holes here and there, I decided taking it somewhere would be the best bet.

Any performance shop that does good tranny work will tell you that an internal shift kit and firmer shifts will increase tranny life. Less slipping=less heat and less wear. The B&M Shift+ might be good for short term or once-in-a-while use, but if you want good solid shifts all the time, get an internal kit.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, i have heard the same as mark. i want one but just havent done it.

but to answer your? yes, the 98 model from B&M will work on our trucks just fine :wink:

and welcome to the site :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

I've had mine installed for 17,500 miles with no issues yet. I would recommend it personally. It definetly takes out the slackly girly shifts factory tranny provides. It has 3 settings, I used only the 1st setting,... the race setting shifts to hard for everyday use.

I do believe that a shift "Kit" would be better, but if you want something that many have used for 2 seconds install, the I'd say go for it.

Check out www.sshotrods.com

The web site has a bunch of performance mods listed for our S10's and a nice right up for each mod. (as well as here). B&M shifter is one of them and has a nice write up.

Good luck!

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Wrager

Post by Wrager »

With my '91 at 140K miles, I started to loose second gear. Since the fluid still looked fine, I immediately had the TransGo kit installed. It fixes many of the engineered in flaws of our trannies. Still shifts gerat at 157K.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum28/HTML/001034.html
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I have the B&M kit on my 01 ZR2 Blazer. Before i installed it i went to the dealer and looked up the PCMs for the 98 and the 01 and cross referenced the wires (names and colors and positions). i just wanted to make sure that the places didnt change, if i remember correctly one of them was different. But ive had it for about 30000 miles now and i have had no problems. I didnt do much for my truck though, the highest setting is annoying and the lower setting is alright i guess.
[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292383801]2001 BlaZeR2 with all the fixin's[/url]
Rockhead

Post by Rockhead »

Well, I'd like to thank all that took the time to reply. I'm still not sure what I want to do, though. The Trans-Go kit sounds perfect, but I'm hesitant to do it since I'd be tossing 2 years of remaining warranty should my tranny self-destruct. The B&M kit is a cheaper (and reversible) way to go, but B&M themselves say it's not compatible. I'd hate to fry my ECM and then try to explain it to the dealer. Then, there's the Hypertech PowerProgrammer. Big money, but totally compatible and also reversible. Plus, it gives some flexibility in tuning the engine. (Not that I'm looking to, but you never know) What I'm probably going to do is talk to the service manager at my Chevy dealer. He's a great guy who helped me out quite a bit with my late (but beloved) '92 K-5. If he sez I can install the TransGo kit without warranty reprecussions, I'll probably go that route. Otherwise, Hypertech might be a safer alternative for my purposes.

Now, if I could only find a decent tranny shop in my area.... 8)
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us like equals.