Extending rear end breathing vent or relocating axle vent

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Extending rear end breathing vent or relocating axle vent

Post by mjmcdowell »

Ok......anybody done this? If so please advise, I don't get in deep water,(top of tires w/stock suspension/tire size is as deep as I would attempt) only once in a while fording a creek on the way to a favorite campsite and I would like to if easly done, extend the vent, just to be safer usually I just change the fluids after this type of fording. stay safe, mjmcdowell
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I went and bought some hose the same diameter as the stock on and ran it from the rear diff all the way up between the cab and the bed. I have also see the expandalbe type that are fully enclosed and just clamp over the nipple on the housing so you dont have to run the hose. I have never used one of those before.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

malkavian wrote:I went and bought some hose the same diameter as the stock on and ran it from the rear diff all the way up between the cab and the bed.
Watch out for rain water getting in the diff, there is a tech bulliten about that.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

well the end of the hose is actually loops over into a small plastic jar about a inch in diameter and i drilled a hole in the bottom of it and put a small oiled filter from a rc car. . So water wont get in unless I get it within 2 inches of the top of the bed.

The front I ran up into the engine comartment and did the same thing with a plastic bottle there. Got the idea from petersons off road.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Where does the vent line exit again (in the 'broken' state pre TSB). I should probably check to see if this has been fixed. A picture would be a big help.

Thanks in advance :?:
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

ludwis wrote:Where does the vent line exit again (in the 'broken' state pre TSB). I should probably check to see if this has been fixed. A picture would be a big help.

Thanks in advance :?:
It would be anywhere between the cab and bed in that gap area.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
BowtieZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BowtieZR5 »

could someone please show me pictures of what the heck yall are talking about.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

GM wrote:Vent Hose Replacement
Removal Procedure

The axle vent assembly is on the right side of the axle carrier.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

2. Remove the vent clamp bolt.

3. Remove the hose from the axle vent tube.
4. Remove the hose from the frame.
5. Remove the vent assembly from the hose.
6. Remove the vent hanger clip from the vent hose.
7. Remove the hose clamp from the vent hose.

Installation Procedure

1. Use a neoprene-type replacement vent hose.
2. Install the hose clamp to the vent hose.
3. Install the vent hanger clip to the vent hose.
4. Install the vent assembly to the vent hose.
5. Install the vent hose to the axle vent tube.
6. Install the hose clamp to the axle vent tube. Do not kink or twist the hose.
7. Install the hose to the frame.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
8. Install the vent clamp bolt at the vent assembly.
Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).
9. Lower the vehicle.
Kids, please do try try to do this at home if you have had a couple beers. Cutting and pasting can be hazardous to your health.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

View from right side facing left side. Tube sits on crossmember at front of bed.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear diff. vent HJ, answers please.....

Post by mjmcdowell »

HJ....orientate your photo for me would you?, thank's, Also what is that fitting on the end , could that be removed/installed on a longer tube? I am thinking that running a replacement to the top of the bed lip and just looping it down, (inverted J) with the stock end installed and fastening it would probably work (if I ever get in water deep enough to compromise it.......well you know what I mean, glad the power is back up here where I am it was getting to be a PITA some still without tho.....60+ gusts fri. and sat. last 24 hrs.+ w/o power.....next mod. , gen for house, oops probably wrong place to post! stay safe, mjmcdowell

f9k9, btw.... thanks for the tech. drawings and info. on this subject. Visuals always help! stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear diff. vent HJ, answers please.....

Post by HenryJ »

mjmcdowell wrote:HJ....orientate your photo for me would you?
Edited to add.
Also what is that fitting on the end , could that be removed/installed on a longer tube? I am thinking that running a replacement to the top of the bed lip and just looping it down, (inverted J) with the stock end installed and fastening it would probably work (if I ever get in water deep enough to compromise it...
That plastic fitting on the end is the breather cap. It could be removed , a splice added to extend the tube higher and the breather cap added to the end of the extension. With the cap in place there would not be a need to invert the end. Facing upward the tube will be somewhat protected by the cap.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

To clarify, should our vent tube look just like the picture in order to be the "corrected" version?

Mine looks exactly like the picture. To the best of my knowledge I have never had this part "serviced".
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ludwis wrote:To clarify, should our vent tube look just like the picture in order to be the "corrected" version?
No. That is unaltered and susceptible to water from above:
Document ID# 1548738
S10 Pickup - 4WD
Diagnostic Information on Rear Axle Vent Hose to Avoid Moisture/Water Intrusion #04-04-20-003 - (Sep 3, 2004)
Diagnostic Information on Rear Axle Vent Hose to Avoid Moisture/Water Intrusion

2001-2004 Chevrolet S-10 Four-Door Crew Cab Pickup

2001-2004 GMC Sonoma Four-Door Crew Cab Pickup

When diagnosing a rear axle leak or noise concern on the above-listed vehicles, a technician may find that the rear axle fluid is contaminated with water.

First inspect the rear axle vent hose routing location. The vent hose may be positioned directly below the gap between the cab and the pickup bed. In this location, the vent hose may be more susceptible to water/moisture intrusion from the elements or from automatic car washes. It may be necessary to relocate the vent hose to a new location under the pickup bed that will prevent moisture/water from entering the hose.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

the position of the vent tube in the picture above is exactly where it should NOT be.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Given that I an now 7 days out of warranty, what do you guys recommend? I have never had a problem with the rear end, noises or otherwise. Would the dealer fix this given that the TSB is from 2004? Should they have to inspect the rear end at the same time?

If they refuse, how do I fix/inspect myself?
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Drain and replace the fluid ASAP. The dealer has the option to do a "GOODWILL" warranty repair if, you are on good terms with them and the warranty has recently expired. Since you apparently have no apparent damage at this point the dealer will likely refuse but, it is worth asking. It would be to your best interest to ask your dealer and if shot down, replace the rear differential fluid and relocate the vent hose.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear diff. vent...... hose position fixed

Post by mjmcdowell »

To all who were respondent to my question about the diff. vent, esp. HJ, a big THANKS! this has been solved. I took the CC up to my mechanic and friend , he put her up on the rack and then found a new location near the old one to remount and used an existing bolt to attach the tube bracket and now have gained about 2 inches more in hieght and it is straight up! not to worry, now it is about 24 inches total from the tire footprint and that is deep water so far as this guy is concerned. That is still below the air intake but still deep!! He relaxed the suspension and there was about 2 inches of play in the hose so it will not break and now we are good to go. stay safe, mjmcdowell
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I've got an idea for a location.....Overkill? Probably but I think it's insanely perfect..........
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Vent hose mod

Okay see what you think. Short video (no sound) I hit my head on the hitch getting out from under the truck. (a few choice words) LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zlsJdDScs
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well that should do it, unless you get in as deep as Paul (aka Quickbiker)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

First class job. Your rig is so clean, I am thinking it is still in the show room.! This is not a mod to avoid and I hope all look at your post!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HenryJ wrote:Well that should do it, unless you get in as deep as Paul (aka Quickbiker)
Yeah I thought if anyone gets their rig in water this deep they are either nuts or they've drove off into a lake. It's the first "mod" I've ever done on anything.
Last edited by YellowCrewCabber on Sun May 03, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

f9k9 wrote:First class job. Your rig is so clean, I am thinking it is still in the show room.! This is not a mod to avoid and I hope all look at your post!
Thanks Reed. No she hasn't been in the "stuff" much. DOT doesn't use "salt" that I know of. They spray on a liquid called calcium chrolride (I think) before it snows. And usually give the undercarriage a rinse if I've been in alot of that stuff. What snow we do get doesn't last long and then it's back to rain so it gets rinsed off that way too.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:........Yeah I thought if anyone gets their rig in water this deep they are either nuts or they've drove off into a lake. It's the first "mod" I've ever done on anything.
A decent first mod! Congrats!
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Very good idea!!! It was so good that I just got done with mine... I changed the oil too. It was clean thank God...
Thanks..
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks for the compliments and you are welcome as well.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

nolag24
Regular
Regular

Re: Extending rear end breathing vent or relocating axle ven

Post by nolag24 »

Just a reminder that this is a very important, worthwhile and cheap mod. YellowCrewCabber has found an excellent location to run the vent line. I recently relocated mine on a newly purchased truck and decided to go ahead and change the fluid out just in case. Very glad I did as there was serious water contamination and one of the bearing seals was beginning to fail. PLEASE do this mod immediately if you have not already and change the fluid regardless of the mileage!
2003 ZR-5, 30x9.50 Firestone AT, 1.25" Rear spacers, 1" TB Lift, 1.5" Rear shackle lift, Bilstein shocks, posi-lok system, Raider camper, spray on bedliner, vent visors, K&N Filter w/ air box and TB mod, ACCEL ignition.