Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Damaged Skidz flare

Post by HenryJ »

Am I the first to crack a flare?

I am not sure how it happened-

There must have been some stress at that screw. :( It was not hit, unless by a rock in the tire tread.

Justin, If you run some flares I would appreciate a left rear replacement being produced. At your convenience of course. I am not in a bind. PM me when you come up with one. Don't bust a set and screw up a full set being sold.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule,

It is hard to tell where this is at. Maybe a description of passenger/driver side, front/rear and an arrow?

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bottom back inside left rear flare.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

wierd,

i havent seen it, i smack my flare sall the time when im wheeling and havent cracked it. interesting. yah i can drop you a flare in a bit.
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

once i have the last 2 sets sold im thinking of keeping a set for spares so you can have that one :)

the guy on ebay who bought a set never paid so im back to 3 sets left.
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I had the chance to try out the disconnected sway bar. The flip forward and capped hooks storage worked great. Easy and simple. The truck did feel a little "mushy" on the highway, but nothing scary. Offroad it floated nicely over the terrain. It definitely allows the suspension to move more than it would have connected. I actually rubbed a front tire on the flare. I was going a little fast over a hard twist and just bumped the flare. This was a first since the cut-outs. I may have had the wheel turned slightly when it rubbed?
Any chance this was your problem?Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:
... I actually rubbed a front tire on the flare...
Any chance this was your problem?
Nope. Not only was it already this way before that trip, but it was a front flare that rubbed in that case, and they are fine.
There is no way that the tire could touch the flare at this point on the rear.

Flexing of the body is a possibility though.

I actually found the crack while cleaning up for the trip a few weeks ago. It just took until now for things to settle down to the point I could share a photo and discuss it :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I have been having problems with mine also,when going up to the mountains at about 8000 ft in the winter and about 18 dagrees, to go sking, my flares are warping and twisting....I took them off and re-installed them and put screws every two inches....it helped a little butt they are still pulling away from the fender....I have no idea why....they don't do this down the hill....I don't blame Justin but I'm thinking of taking mine off and putting on rhinoliner....they are starting to look like sh__t.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Brule, judging by that crack, it looks to me like the screw might be the culprit.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I looked a little closer this time. Things are worse than I first thought.

Left front, 1 broken out:

Left rear, 2 cracking:
ImageImage

Right rear, 5 cracking:
ImageImage
ImageImage

I am afraid there is a problem. These are way too brittle.

Over ten years on a set of Bushwackers and never had problems like this in a set that is only a year old.

I can think of some ways to help the situation. The problem may be that the material expands and contracts too much. Mine may have been just a bad piece of material and became too brittle, but we can still take steps to prevent this in other installations.

It may be a good idea to add double stick adhesive foam emblem tape between the flare and body metal to allow for expansion and contraction, drill the holes for the screws oversized , add rubber , nylon or foam washers and reinstall.

I have pulled my references to the install as well as the mod page temporarily. Those who have yet to install I would suggest waiting until some issues can be resolved. Those who have already installed, I would suggest a close inspection and consider some steps to prevent problems in the future.

Stay tuned for more information.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

OH sh##! :shock: I better have a close look at mine....they flex quite a bit when I go up the mountains to go sking!
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

although this could be a bad batch as henrys are original non production parts i recomend less screws. henryJ may disagree with me on this but my flares only have 5 screws on the fronts and 6 on the backs. HJ has double that. although this does not justify anything that has gone wrong with his set it could be a way to prevent something like this from happening to another as mine are the oldest set and i have no issues. again lessen the screw count and widen the holes and use the washer comb HJ has stated. I have talked to my supplier about the material and cant get anything out of them rigt now as they just call it impact and not material issues. Again as i move on from this it sucks that this is happening, but hopefully its a one of because i dont have the machinery ect to do these anymore. With that said lower your screw count instal them tighter to the body ( have a friend hold the up so they dont pull away from the fender) and you should be fine

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I just checked mine and they all look fine! :D
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:It may be a good idea to add double stick adhesive foam emblem tape between the flare and body metal to allow for expansion and contraction, drill the holes for the screws oversized , add rubber , nylon or foam washers and reinstall.
These are all excellent ideas which should help prevent others from running into the same problem. I have 3 years experience molding plastic from a previous job and IMO there are only 2 possibilities besides the screws that could cause this problem. The first is very obvious (inferior material), and the second is the (molding temperature) which may have been too high. :wink:

Steve
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

so im hoping that the first set was bad and the rest are fine :)

anyway...

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

bubaloo1983 wrote:so im hoping that the first set was bad and the rest are fine :)

anyway...
Any update on a resolution to this?
--Walt
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i sent him replacements that i had made for him and its pretty much been determined that his set were faultly parts bad forming and are one of a kind.

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

bubaloo1983 wrote:i sent him replacements that i had made for him and its pretty much been determined that his set were faultly parts bad forming and are one of a kind.
Whew....that makes me feel better. That Brule's were lemons and that you took care of a customer :) You da man Justin. :thumb:
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are not being replaced free of charge. The supplier denies any responsibility. Right now Justin and his supplier are blaming me for the defective installation. I will no longer be offering my expertise and assistance. The product has a problem. That is evident to me.

If yours are not cracking yet, I would suggest removal, add double stick foam tape between the flare and body metal to allow for expansion and contraction, drill the holes oversized , add rubber , nylon or foam washers and reinstall.

You may not want to listen to me though since Justin believes that five screws per flare are all that should be used, and my installation using more was the reason the flares cracked.

Use your best judgement.

I am glad that I will be able to purchase a pair for the rear. The front flare will have to go as long as it can since the flare Justin has is damaged.

I am still playing wait and see. I will have more information when I have the defective flares off and can inspect them closer, as well as make a change or two in the installation to better compensate for the expansion and contraction these seem to have or to act as preemptive measures should they be brittle.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:They are not being replaced free of charge. The supplier denies any responsibility.
Ouch... :shock:
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Replacements arrived today. I paypal'd Justin the cost of the flares as per our agreement.

I don't remember the inner part of the flare being this thin? I'll have more thoughts when I get a chance to make the swap.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

my material supplier is kinda being a "bad word". They are not taking my claim for the material being bad. its really annoying im still fighting with them.

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

It must be the material....when I go sking I'm at an altitude of 7500ft.... and mine expand and contract or (flex) about 2 inches....so I put screws every two inches and that helped alot and I don't have any cracks at all so far. (cross my fingers).
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Steve, can you get some pics next time you go? I'm really curious to see what happens.
--Walt
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

They really don't do it to much since I put more screws in....also I was wandering if the cold had anything to do with the flexing.... This coming winter I will take some pics. :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

So, what is the verdict on your second install with your modifications? I am going on a year now with a little larger gaps appearing but, are holding up ok.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:So, what is the verdict on your second install with your modifications?
I haven't done the install yet. The cracks have reached the outside now. They are not to the point of flopping around yet though.
Other tasks have taken priority thus far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:................Other tasks have taken priority thus far.
Understood :D Thanks for the update, Brule :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Would I install Skidz flares again or buy another set?

There are some problems to consider. If you have a ZR5, or the stock faux flares on the back. You will have a rubbed line visible that the Skidz flares will not cover.
If they crack or get damaged you will not be able to get replacements.

Mine are cracked bad. They are not falling off and not that noticeable to the top side yet.

There is no way I could run a 33" tire without the cuts made to install the flares and there is no going back afterward. If there are no flares available as replacements, I can run without them. I would probably bedliner the area around where the flares were and the rockers, to run without.

Would I buy a set again? Yes.

Mine have been the only set that I know of to crack. Being an early set they may have been overheated or bad material, who knows. As with any modification there are risks. Are you willing to live with the consequences if it goes bad?

- ThunderII KE7CSK