Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Softtopper

Post by HenryJ »

Softtopper
M 55 CREW CAB / 4 Door
Fits the 4 door Crew cab pick-ups with the box dimensions within the following ranges.

* Length (inside) 54 - 55 inches
* Width (inside) 54 - 56 inches

These include:

* Nissan Frontier Crewcab (shortbed)
* Chevy S-10 Crewcab
* GMC Sonoma Crewcab

$529 - M 55 Crew Cab
I wouldn't mind running one of these.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Nice find! :thumb: That's a very versatile top, and the price isn't ridiculous either. :D It's always nice to see another option for our Crew Cabs. :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If I can come up with an off the rail box, I may just go for one of those tops.

Here is a good review - EP Softopper review

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Compared to the can-back thats fricking cheap.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Soft topper

Post by mjmcdowell »

HJ.....I have been cosidering a soft cap for a while now and I too wonder about installation on my CC as I too have an over the rail Delta tool box. I think off hand without measuring tho that I may have about 1" of rail available between box and outside of bed, mine is a composit box and I have modded it to carry my hi-lift ,axe, shovel ( you know the one) and the head for a pick axe on custom mounts so... I don't really want to get rid of it as it works fine for me...... but I realy an interested in a soft top and these look to be the best for the $, I am going to try to contact a rep. with the co. with some close measurments of my situation when I get the time. Will keep you posted. stay safe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What I am considering is to mount the rails under the box. The pivot point attachment for the bows looks to be centered. This is just about the same as the Bimini top on my boat. With the top on there I would think you could roll the side up and still access the box.
The down side I see is that it could not be folded forward completely down as the box would interfere.
You could still fold it forward, just not down as low as one without a box. I am not really sure how much extra room this would add for me. The tonneau cover and tent set-up is working pretty well right now.

Still , I may get one of these. I am sure I could make it work with the box.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

More on can-top

Post by mjmcdowell »

Bingo! I was out looking at the CC and I think that placing the mounting rails under the toolbox just might work also. I am not too concerned about the probable inability to fold the top as far down because of the box, would probably go with the top in the up position, still I think will check with mfg., then if it looks good I may be the tester! will post, stay safe,mjmcdowell
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I really want one of those....but I don't want to get rid of my toolbox :?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Walt wrote:I really want one of those....but I don't want to get rid of my toolbox :?
Ditto
I think I will wait and see what the verdict is from mjm, HEY if there would be a multiple buy discount available, I might be interested ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

GROUP BUY!!!!! Whos gonna set it up? Id be interested.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

It'd be next year before I could do anything. My problem is that I've had my toolbox through 3 different trucks, and it was given to me as a Christmas gift. Has alot of sentimental value, besides being extremely useful.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Finally a mod that doesn't interest me at all! :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Met someone in an SFA Taco last week that had one. He says he's very happy with it.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Somebody talk me out of this one! I have been considering it a little more as of late.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Might as well of bought a blazer if you buy one of these. IM

Just something negative to discourage you. Because just like F9K9 said it does not interest me either.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Well Brule....I'm fairly interested. :) I think you should go for it. :lol:
--Walt
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: soft top

Post by mjmcdowell »

Yeah.... I think I may have to spring for one of these, still considering the purchase, tan with a black CC would look good as well as protect stuff in the bed in the winter, plus its removable if you want, and can be folded as mentioned, very versatile. Like you guys with tool boxes I also have to figure if it will work , I have a "Delta" composit that I dont want to lose as it holds all the recovery, etc. stuff. that I may need. Tried to contact "Can-back" with no reply yet, will have to try again with the tool box question we have. stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I bought one of these tops on ebay recently. It is gray. It has marks on the rear window where the straps had it tied up. And some light dog claw scratches on the front window. Nothing terrible IMO. It really is in good shape. The rail mounting clamps were not included, so I picked up some locally.

My thought was to see if I could mount it and retain the over rail tool box.
I thought about just mounting the rear half of the side rails and adding snaps to the side of the box. That all looked pretty good, however the pivot point for the bows is placed too far forward for the front one to clear the box.
I would either have to modify the bow , or get a new box.
I am just not sure I am ready to do either right now. My tonneau works pretty good and I like the convenience of the box.

It would be a shame to have to modify the bows, as this is a very nicely built top. I may have to consider that though.

The "canvas" is very heavy. The bows are aluminum as is the square tubing for the side rails. It is very well built.
The whole top fits into a canvas package 53" long and less than 12" square. It has a carry handle and would store easily in a closet.

It is in limbo right now.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Do you have any pictures for the other members that might be interested in getting one of these? :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not yet. I may not install it. If that is the case then the website provides better photos than I could provide.
Maybe someone else will be able to take some installed photos. My current configuration does not allow me that option.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

After the Moab trip I returned home and made some changes.
The Softopper is installed.

Image Image

- ThunderII KE7CSK