tool box

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

tool box

Post by top_sgt »

i know they are out there,,, but where can i find a tool box for our crewcabs???
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What kind?
Over the rail, in the bed, side box?
What material do you prefer? Plastic, Aluminum?
What color? White , Aluminum, Black?
How much do you want to spend?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

over the rail or in the bed,,, plastic or aluminum....prefer the aluminum if over the rail. color doesn't matter.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dee Zee , Deflecta-Shield

Check locally. Our local D&B Farm Supply store has a good selection.

My box is a Rubbermaid tool box. I don't see it available anywhere anymore. I bought it at Kmart.

I have seen a couple hard plastic boxes that look good, but don't remember the brand.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

thanks for the input....i'll check our tractor supply here...probably similar to your D & B!!! home depot here usually has a lot of rubber maid products as well!!!
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'd check the Tractor Supply store, I've seen them there before!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

henryj,,,,,,, i've found a 36" rubbermaid box on the net--ebay!! going to home depot and kmart this week to see if i can find one...then on to the tractor supply!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I removed my over the bed rail toolbox today. It was replaced by one half that size that fits below the bed rails. This box fits between the fenderwells. It is a simple hinged black plastic box sold at Wally world. I paid $42. I am holding it in place with Bed Bugs right now. Time will tell if it is THE answer. Right now it is a step in the right direction for some more usable space and less weight.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This has been very good. Easy enough to unload if the bed space is needed. It has stayed in place just fine using the Bed Bugs. I can add a ratchet strap across the top to the anchor points if needed, but I have yet to feel the need. Here are some pictures:

Image Image Image

It opens nicely inside the Softopper. I added a set of aluminum angles to act as rails to support a plastic try from an old over the rails tool box. That was a good place to hang a small cargo net to hold a few rags and spare set of gloves.

This really has worked out well. A good bang for the buck too.

Sold at Walmart:
These are made in Canada from 100% recycled material. The company is Greene Horizon.
Smart Bin - 49 US gal - 40" x 24.5" x 18"
Item #40241
UPC- 8 0499 40241 3
Price $42.24

They were between hardware / paints and automotive. Right below the various sizes of Action Packers.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I used the same Wal Mart box in my CC and now it is full of toys in my son's room. :thumb: Wal Mart had 1 box left on clearance a few years back so we got it for only $20. The box we have is the same as the one pictured above except it also has a slide out/removable parts tray built into the lid.

Steve
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I got a nice one from Tractor Supply Co
that is black aluminum and fits inside the
bed for about $250.

Put it in the old '96 truck that I'm fising to
give my wife's son since he does construction.

'Bout to put some air shocks on the
back too since he's prolly goin to haul stuff.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This one is new: Plano® Sportsman's Box $29.97
Over 3' long! It's been half a century since Plano® first changed the way outdoor products are stored and protected.

Now you can own this jumbo Box for tools, parts and supplies. A volume buy brings you the right price!

* Lockable in 3 places
* 4 rust-proof latches
* End tie-down brackets
* Recessed handles
* Molded grooves for stacking
* Airline approved. Measures 37 3/4 x 18 1/4 x 14" h., weighs 9 1/4 lbs.
Might make a nice tool box.

It is bigger than my current camp box. Two inches taller six inches wider and a longer. I ordered one to replace my old camp box. This one has better latches to secure the lid. Tie down hooks and wheels will be handy too. It came to $38.46 shipped.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plano® Sportsman's Box $29.97 Awesome box. Latches on three sides and hinge on the other. Certified for UPS and FedEx shipping. Tie down hooks.
It is about a full third larger than my previous camp box and fits the fry/gold pan nicely. Room for more items :thumb:
The wheels on one end really are handy for moving it around.
A great value if anyone is looking.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

HenryJ,

Will the box from sportsmansguide fit under a factory cover(while closed of course)? I cannot find a good organizer for behind the seat in mine and am looking at the box you mentioned as another option but dont know if it will clear. I am starting to like Reed's roof basket as well but i'm going to the Dr in the morning to make sure something itsn't seriously wrong... :shock:

Thanks
Frisk
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think so , but take a measurement to be sure. 37 3/4 x 18 1/4 x 14" h.

I don't know how far the cover hangs down inside, or if you have a bedliner. Even with those my guess is it would fit.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've been looking for a box that'll fit between the wheel wells and under my tonneau cover. That looks like it'll work out nicely. I'm a little concerned about the hinges though after reading the following customer review at amazon.com:
...the hinge which is still plastic and week and in my opinion the only serious flaw in its design. I recommend this box for storage or shipping, but if a truly rugged container is needed you may want to look elsewere
Any thoughts on the quality and/or "ruggedness" of the hinges?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is full length. I am not worried about it. It is the same design as the Smartbin and that has served me well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

sold :thumb:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

The best boxes in my opinion are stormcases or pelican boxes. my brother shipped alot of his personal stuff home from Iraq in a pelican and they showed up looking better than new after 8,000 miles...

they carry a heavier price but worth every penny.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am not sure their price justifies the expense in all instances, JMO. Also they do not make every size that you desire. I like Pelican cases, but there are alternatives. Some much more affordable.

Storm cases are very good. That is what I use for my laptop. Our SensIr uses a Storm case in Hazmat too.

In a size that fits between the wheel wells and makes the most of that space, I do not believe either makes one box that fits the space. Sure you can make a "toolbox" out of anything. Not many can be purchased for $40 or less and provide a good strong box of an adequate size.
What would a Pelican, or Storm case this size cost?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

PGH04ZR5 wrote:The best boxes in my opinion are stormcases or pelican boxes. my brother shipped alot of his personal stuff home from Iraq in a pelican and they showed up looking better than new after 8,000 miles...

they carry a heavier price but worth every penny.
WOW...

First off, lemme say that is one week sales pitch you got there. Tell me you have a better product then make me go find it? How 'bout posting a link to your better product? or at the very least a photo?

Now, I may be mistaken as I until I read your post I had never heard of either of these products but, the closest model I could find by either of the better product manufacturers you mention cost in the neighborhood of ten times more than the one this discussion is about. That's a pretty dang hefty price difference. These better be some awesome boxes. Further, I can't seem to find a model by either manufacturer that is truly compatible in size to the much more affordable plano model. They both make bigger and smaller products but none that are quite so perfect a fit for our somewhat uniquely sized truck beds.

Hardigg Storm Case 2975 is almost the same size (it will fit between our wheel wells and under our bed rails anyway) but costs $325-$350. I'm sure it's a better box by almost any standard but does anyone really believe that's the sort of box that someone looking to spend around $40 would ever consider?

Pelican's 1690 Transport Case is closer to the dimensions of the plano sportsman although similar to the storm case (but not quite as much so) it's ridiculously expensive. In the $275-$300 range.

I am (and assume most others in this thread will agree) looking to keep a pair of gloves, some tie down straps, a tarp, maybe some extra tools and the like out of the weather and out of sight of would be thieves. I am not transporting donor organs or precious rare gems or national secrets.

In short, they look like some awesome boxes but they'd be far more valuable than anything I'd ever consider storing in them.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I agree. Those are more of a "case" than "box". Pelican does make a cool Military spec tool box set. Looks like they run $575

The toolbox , IMO needs to be deep and wide. Maximizing the width so it doesn't slide side to side between the wheel wells.
I use a pair of BedBugs to hold mine in place.

Even with cost not being a deciding factor, I too did not find other options in a box that fits the space nicely. If the Plano box is not big enough the Smartbin is a good choice. The advantage to the Plano box is that it is available online. This is the only box I have been able to find available online that fits the space , made of plastic and at a reasonable price. I will admit that I did not search the ends of the earth. I have had my eyes open for quite a while though.

I do not want steel or aluminum as they either rust or leave black powder over everything. The powder coated boxes might be better, but there again the price skyrockets. I really don't need the added weight of the metal box either. This is just a box to stow a few tools, spare wiper blades, booster cables, winch control, tow strap, coveralls, fire extinguisher, ratchet straps, water, oil, and a few other odd ends.

It will be interesting to get "Teh Barchs'" view on the Plano box. My rose colored glasses may still be on. Mine is packed as the "Camp Kitchen" and stowed in the garage. I really have not even hauled it yet. I do see it as an upgrade from my old box, which worked great.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I agree whole heartedly with both of you. I merely mentioned a better "box/case" and at no time stated it was better for this application then anything previously mentioned, so I apologize for such a "week" sales pitch

I hope to take some measurements this weekend so see how wellthe Plano fits under a stock zr5 cover and am seriously taking a look at picking one up.

So I call a my bad for even bringing the other boxes up without specifing it was not a replacement choice for the other boxes, but I thank Batch anyways, i do need to bone up on the door-2-door skills... :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If I were putting boxes on the top in a roof basket, I don't think the Plano box would be my first choice. It is just too big to lift up there. That is where Storm or Pelican cases would shine. They seem to hold up better to the UV too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I would only want to put my bed box on the roof basket to free up bed space for a short period of time. But you did bring up a good point witht hte UV rays, hadn't considered that....
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:It will be interesting to get "Teh Barchs'" view on the Plano box. My rose colored glasses may still be on. Mine is packed as the "Camp Kitchen" and stowed in the garage.
We're taking a couple nights trip down to Richmond, VA the first weekend in May. I'll be loading up all the tailgating supplies for the NASCAR race. This should give me a pretty good idea of how the "sportsman" box will work out for me. I'll be back with an update shortly after our return.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

That worked out quite nicely. :thumb:

This box is a great fit. It leaves a few inches of space between the wheel wells (I had enough weight inside and other items in the bed to kepe from shifting side to side) and a couple below my tonneau cover (just about the right amount of space to stash a folding lawn chair).

My hinge quality concerns were unfounded. As henryj mentioned, it's a full length hinge of reasonably good quality. Keep in mind this is a ~$40 box, all parts of a level of quality I would be happy to pay a little more for.

I loaded about 25-30 pounds of tailgating supplies; citronella candles, 14oz. propane tanks for the grill, hatchet/hammer, bug sprays, sun screen, an assortment of small hand tools, and a set of jumper cables, etc. inside. There was a good bit of rain off/on all weekend but everything stayed nice and dry whether the box was under my tonneua or on the ground. The handles and wheels are a nice touch and made relocating around our grassy parking spot easy.

The only flaw I observed, and really my fault not Plano's, was that my weber Q grill didn't quite fit inside. Another inch or so (front to back) would have been ideal. But there was enough space between the box and my tailgate to fit the grill and a cooler. So, it all worked out just fine.