cleaning K&N

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

cleaning K&N

Post by Justin »

I am going to try Steve's idea trying to get rid of the SES light...He said to clean the K&N...anyone done it and how/what do you use?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

I've cleaned mine many times. They have a cleaning spray (it has very good directions on it) ... if your filter is not too clogged, you spray it generously with this spray and let it sit for a few minutes. Then rinse it from the inside to outside with low pressure water. All the junk will come out.

You may have to do it again until it is nice and clean.

Then you let it completely dry ... for me, it takes like 30 mins.

This step is VERY important. You have to re-oil it with K&N oil. I had a squirt bottle which is harder to use ... so I recently bought the spray kind and it's MUCH MUCH better. Spray the oil (it has a red die) all over the filter just enough to cover it. DO NOT overspray. All the overspray will drip when you install it .. plus it could damage your MAF I believe.

Then let it sit for a while so all the extra oil drippes out .. if there are any empty spots (that is not red), apply some more of the oil to those spots.

Re-install filter and you are done.

The cleaning kit which includes the cleaning spray and the oil can be found in most automotive stores such as PepBoys and the cost is about $10.