Aftermarket Transmission Pan

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Aftermarket Transmission Pan

Post by HenryJ »

I have been thinking about trying an aftermarket transmission pan. It is about time for another filter service, so this might be a good time?

Aluminum? Steel with cooling tubes?

The Derale pan listed in Summit says not for OEM deep pans, so that may not be an option.

Anybody try one?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Will a deep pan interfere with any of the skid plates, or is there more than enough room for one? :?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No skid plate for the transmission. The rear crossmember is an attachment point for the transfer case shield, but I don't think it would interfere?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:No skid plate for the transmission. The rear crossmember is an attachment point for the transfer case shield, but I don't think it would interfere?
Cool. :D It seems like a deep aluminum pan would be nice for added case strength, extra protection off road, and better cooling. :wink: I've used B&M and TCI deep aluminum pans in the past with no problems. :D I wonder if we would need some sort of extension for the filter pick up tube even though we already have a factory deep pan? :? It would be nice if both pans had the same depth. :?

Steve
20Blazer00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Aftermarket Transmission Pan

Post by 20Blazer00 »

HenryJ wrote:I have been thinking about trying an aftermarket transmission pan. It is about time for another filter service, so this might be a good time?

Aluminum? Steel with cooling tubes?

The Derale pan listed in Summit says not for OEM deep pans, so that may not be an option.

Anybody try one?
I was thinking about the Derale pan but now that you mention it is not for OEM DEEP pan replacement it might be that the "cooling tubes" interfere with the filter placement and would require a shorter filter tube maybe from a stock unit.

Summit Racing lists an external tranny filter (SUM-G4980/$31.95) so the mod would be to install the external filter and get a tube to reach the bottom of the Derale pan for fluid pick up.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... It seems like a deep aluminum pan would be nice for added case strength, extra protection off road, and better cooling. I've used B&M and TCI deep aluminum pans in the past with no problems. I wonder if we would need some sort of extension for the filter pick up tube even though we already have a factory deep pan?
I can see that it might add some case strength. I wonder if it needs any. I really haven't considered that. The case seems pretty stout at that point. I have broken a Turbo350 in half, but sure don't remember it breaking through the pan rails. The cooling benefits sure seem possible. I am a bit concerned about whether it would be a good idea in the protection department though. A steel pan will dent. The aluminum pan might break. The dented pan might still get you back, of the pickup is not damaged beyond use. A broken aluminum pan would lose all the fluid though. It is in such a position that damage is not as likely, I suppose?

I have no idea what might be required for a pick-up tube? I was thinking that it might not pick up fluid any deeper in the pan? Perhaps it just uses the extra volume as a heat sync reservoir?
How did the pans you have used function? Did they have an extended pick-up?
I could see switching from a shallow pan, using a deep pan filter and an aftermarket deep sump pan. I have never gone from a stock deep pan to an extra capacity pan though. I usually add fluid capacity through the addition of a cooler and external filter. Maybe an external filter would be a better investment?
20Blazer00 wrote:I was thinking about the Derale pan but now that you mention it is not for OEM DEEP pan replacement it might be that the "cooling tubes" interfere with the filter placement and would require a shorter filter tube maybe from a stock unit.

Summit Racing lists an external tranny filter (SUM-G4980/$31.95) so the mod would be to install the external filter and get a tube to reach the bottom of the Derale pan for fluid pick up.
I hesitate to try a shorter filter and use the Derale pan. I do like the idea of the Derale pan, but don't like the thought of a reduced fluid reservoir using the shorter filter. The external filter only might be an option with a fabricated pickup tube, but I don't like the idea of unfiltered fluid at that point. If debris enters the pan, it would have to go through the system to reach the external filter. Both filters would be a good idea, but I think it might be best to retain one in the pan.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have used deep aluminum pans on a TH350 (B&M) and TH400 (TCI). Both pans included an extension for the pick up tube. You want the filter as low as possible to avoid sucking air in when cornering or launching hard (not a concern with the CC :lol: ) and when crawling at extreme angles (this is a possibility for the CC when off roading under extreme angles :wink: ). I understand your concerns about an aluminum pan breaking, but I have never heard of one doing so. The aluminum pans do add strength to the case, but it is unlikely that our little 4.3 would ever have enough power to break the case anyway. I remember one time having a deep steel chrome pan on a TH400 and I bottomed out hard one time and created a real mess. First of all the steel pan did dent and not break, but it warped the pan so bad that it leaked all around and on top of that my pick up tube cracked and the pan got pushed up against the filter preventing it from sucking fluid. :x I was not very happy that day, but my point is that a steel pan can cause more problems that an aluminum pan will, unless of course you break the aluminum pan wide open. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

An extension for the tube, huh. I wonder if it is secure enough to run in a rough service environment?

I wonder what is used for the 4L60E? A spacer perhaps?
I don't want to get trapped into a custom fliter, or poorly designed "add-a-tube".

What happens to the magnet in the aluminum pans?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:An extension for the tube, huh. I wonder if it is secure enough to run in a rough service environment?
The two extension tubes that I installed on the TH350 and TH400 also included a longer stud for securing the filter to the valve body. :wink:
I wonder what is used for the 4L60E? A spacer perhaps?
I don't want to get trapped into a custom fliter, or poorly designed "add-a-tube".
I haven't installed one on a 4L60E so I can't really say what they use for securing it, but it is unlikely that they would add an pick up tube extension and not somehow fully support the filter as well. :?
What happens to the magnet in the aluminum pans?
You have to epoxy them in place. I have done it before and they don't come loose even being submerged in tranny fluid. :wink:

I know this is a little off topic, but have you used the new Dexron VI fluid that is supposed to be more stable in a wide temperature range than the Dexron III? Apparently GM is using this new fluid on all 2006 and newer vehicles. They also say that all the dealerships will now service all automatics regardless of age with this new fluid.

Here are some of the claimed benefits

A/T - DEXRON VI Release/Applications

Bulletin No.: 04-07-30-037A

Date: August 19, 2005

Extended Factory Fill For Life - 100k for cars and light duty trucks, 50k miles for severe use
Clutch Friction Stability - Improved 100%
Clutch Durability Due To Fluid - Improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness - Improved 20%
Fluid Oxidation - Improved 100%
Foam / Aeration - Improved 150%
Shear Stability - Improved 200%

Sounds like good stuff to me! :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Dextron VI is news to me. I have been using Unocal Super ATF meeting Dextron III specs.

I wonder if it is another FORD fix. By that I mean, transmission troubles forcing a liquid fix. Redesign the fluid to cover the transmission problems. That is where the Mercon V came from, with its anti-stuttering compounds.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

it was Chrysler that actually started upgrading fluid specs in the early 90`s, (ATF+3,+4).... then Ford, then GM with Dexron V, now VI....

ive been using type F in my CC for over 2 years now, for its higher friction coefficents, with no problems.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Type F may not be the best choice? It is radically different than Dextron.
I use Type F in the HenryJ , but it has kevlar lined clutches and requires the higher operating temps that type F can handle.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

really long term, i dunno. at first, i was concerned that it might cause converter clutch chatter, but it hasnt.
[size=75]Lee

00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

crew cab sonoma wrote:ive been using type F in my CC for over 2 years now, for its higher friction coefficents, with no problems.
This is probably not what you want to hear, but I have seen nearly as many GM transmission failures using Type F as I have using synthetic ATF. People used to use Type F in in GM tranny's to get firmer shifts instead of installing shift kits, but long term use use usually fries the clutch packs. Some of the guys over at the Impala SS forum have found this out the hard way. :( Maybe you won't have any problems, maybe you will, but if it were me I wouldn't use that stuff in a GM tranny unless you have it built specifically for it. :wink:

Steve
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i cant say for certain about newer GM trannies, but my 86 Corvette w/700R4 has had type F in it for over 7 years, and that transmission has seen tons of hard driving, and literally over 350 passes at the dragstrip, to the tune of low 12`s. that tranny has never given me any problems.

ive had other GM`s with TH350/400/700`s, that had type F in them long term with no ill effects.
[size=75]Lee

saab9k
Crew
Crew

Transmission pan

Post by saab9k »

I have one of these on my truck, change fluid every second oil change.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dorman-O ... ccessories
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

That's a nice oem replacement pan. The factory pan should have a drain plug like that one. I just put a drain plug in my factory trans pan on my ZR2. After taking a closer look at the factory deep pan and filter, I don't see why you couldn't use a standard filter with an aftermarket deep aluminum or steel pan.

Steve