Scan Gauge II

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Scan Gauge II

Post by killian96ss »

Here is some info on the new Scan Gauge II that plugs into the OBDII diagnostic port and serves as a scan tool, digital gauges, and trip computer. :D You can read and clear codes, turn off the check engine light, monitor fuel economy, fuel rate, battery voltage, coolant temperature, air intake temperature, engine speed, vehicle speed, manifold pressure, engine load, throttle posistion, ignition timing, open/closed loop status. You can also check maximum speed, average speed, maximum coolant temperature, maximum rpm, driving time, driving distance, fuel used, trip fuel economy, distance to empty, time to empty, and fuel to empty. The Scan Gauge II has more features, but I think this will give most people an idea of what this toy does. :D Did I mention it only costs $170. :D Not bad for all the features you get. :wink:

Key words: Scanguage Scangauge mount mounted ScanguageII
20Blazer00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 20Blazer00 »

And it is cheaper than replacing a faulty fuel sender unless you do the job yourself. The trip computer is worth at least that much....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like a handy gauge. My brother is looking for something like this. Thanks for bringing it up.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Brule, have you had a chance to test out your new toy? :D

EDIT: I see you only got it yesterday, so I doubt you have had time to mess with it yet. :( :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is in the truck now.

I have the unit attached to an old radar detector visor mount.

It is nicely adjustable. Right now it is attached to it with velcro. If it looks like the system I want to retain, I will epoxy the two together permanently. The cable runs down the a-pillar to the OBDII port.

I think it should work well. It is easy to remove and mount in another vehicle.

I have sent an email to Linear-Logic requesting information about adding the transmission temperature to the selections. I don't need it right now, but would like to compare and try the process.

I think it will be a valuable tool. From what I have read 1/2 the memory is unused for future add ons. There is soon to be a USB cable available for connection to a PC. Data logging, tattle tale, all kinds of stuff it can do :mg:

Four gauges visible at once and any of the available sensors. I wish I had gone this route before adding a trans temp gauge. That is if I can set it up to read trans temp.

The display needs to be viewed straight on. It fades at a 45 degree angle and is not viewable from the sides.
The adjustable colors on the back lighting are pretty neat. You can match virtually any dash lighting that you might want.

So far , one thumb up :thumb:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

ever get it to read tranny temp ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I emailed requesting information on adding the transmission temperature to the gauge. This was the response:
Linear-Logic wrote:We will soon be coming out with a new program in the ScanGaugeII that will
allow you to set it up to measure transmission temperature. If you already
have a ScanGaugeII, you will be able to send it in to be reprogrammed to add
the new features.

Ron
Linear-Logic wrote:Don't worry, any new features we add to the ScanGaugeII can be added to yours. We are working on an interface accessory for the ScanGaugeII. If you buy the interface, it includes an upgrade of the ScanGaugeII that adds the interface program to it. It will also add any new features at that time.

The interface is a unit with memory and processing power itself. It has a cable that plugs into the unused connector on the ScanGaugeII and another that plugs into a USB port on a computer. They don't have to both be plugged in at the same time.

The interface will use SD Cards for data storage. You can plug it in to the ScanGauge for logging and for other upload/download tasks. It can be removed from the vehicle and taken to a computer for data transfers.

The ScanGaugeII has all the hardware needed for the interface, but will need an upgrade of its program to use it. The Upgrade is free when you purchase the interface.

Price has not been finalized yet. It is expected to be under $100. This will also include the software for a windows based computer.

I will send you an e-mail when it is to be offered for sale.

Ron

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I've got on my list of stuff to buy for the truck one of those AeroforceTech gauges. The only real differences are the form factor, the price, and the ability to read trans temp.

I can see both being some VERY handy gadgets!
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A glitch, well sort of. When you plug this in, you need to turn the ignition on and let the gauge connect. If you do not, it will be powered on and waiting to connect. After four or five days this is enough to draw the battery way down.
Mine was to the point it would not start :(

This also goes for every time you disconnect the battery. Once reconnected it powers up waiting to connect. After the same number of days without starting, again the battery will be drawn down.
Sound like I speak from experience? Well, yes. It took me a while to figure out just what I had done. I was blaming the auto on feature in the Bazooka tube.

I installed a battery disconnect as a secondary safety system. Way out in the hills and off hiking from th vehicle for a few days I do not want to run the risk of coming back to a dead truck. This way I can disconnect the battery quickly and easily. I do carry a jumper pack, but still I thought this would be handy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

2kwik4u wrote:I've got on my list of stuff to buy for the truck one of those AeroforceTech gauges. The only real differences are the form factor, the price, and the ability to read trans temp.

I can see both being some VERY handy gadgets!
I have ordered a Scangauge II, but I can't see how (with the option) it could read trans. temp., as far as I know our trucks have no kind of temp. sensor on the trans.-do they? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I can not specifically pinpoint the transmission temperature sender with out further investigation. I can assure you that the reading is available through the diagnostic port.
I can view it using Autotap.
That and 4500 or so other parameters.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GM data wrote:Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor

The automatic transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor is part of the automatic transmission fluid pressure (TFP) manual valve position switch. The TFT sensor is a resistor, or thermistor, which changes value based on temperature. The sensor has a negative-temperature coefficient. This means that as the temperature increases, the resistance decreases and as the temperature decreases, the resistance increases.

The PCM supplies a 5-volt reference signal to the TFT sensor and measures the voltage drop in the circuit. When the transmission fluid is cold, the sensor resistance is high and the PCM detects high signal voltage. As the fluid temperature warms to a normal operating temperature, the resistance becomes less and the signal voltage decreases. Refer to TFT Sensor Specifications for a complete comparison of sensor resistance, temperature and signal voltage.
Thanks to S10Wheels for the information.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine is on the way back to Linear Logic.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/upgrade.shtml

Looks like the transmission temperature is ready to go along with a few other improvements.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

Hey!, HenryJ,
My Scangauge II is going back for the X gauge mod. too. The form is filled out, I've got the box to send it in & the address label printed. I've got one problem though, it's so good that I've gotten to depend on it. and don't want to be without it (for even a few weeks! )(my problem). It has to go sometime, when it comes back, it'll be even better. Paired with my W4me tune, it's almost like a different truck!!"
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I know what you mean about missing it. I glance at the voltage all the time, as well as the MPG. It was very apparent that something was missing on my way to the post office.
Mine was $4.43 shipping insured to AZ.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

What did you insure it for $ 200?
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

$170
That is enough to replace it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just got a call from Scangauge / Linear Logic.
They broke my mount :( I told them that it was no big deal and I would fab a new one.
They actually have to make the upgrade internally and the case must be separated. I glued the bracket on mine and the case could not be separated. There is a line around the case. The bracket needs to be attached behind this to the back of the case only.
My unit is being replaced free of charge with a new upgraded unit.

The USB cable connection is still scheduled to be out next year. They are still working on it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

HenryJ wrote:Just got a call from Scangauge / Linear Logic.
They broke my mount :( I told them that it was no big deal and I would fab a new one.
They actually have to make the upgrade internally and the case must be separated. I glued the bracket on mine and the case could not be separated. There is a line around the case. The bracket needs to be attached behind this to the back of the case only.
My unit is being replaced free of charge with a new upgraded unit.

The USB cable connection is still scheduled to be out next year. They are still working on it.
I thank you for letting me know, I was just wondering if you got it back yet & how it was now. It sounds like the company is as good as their products, good to know!!
S10Wheels :nana:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, I was looking around their site last week and found no mention of the AT temp read out. If, you talk to them again, ask if, it is included in new units. Thanks.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is! That is why I sent mine in for the upgrade :woohoo:

Xgauge list of data to enter for vehicle specific gauges (PDF File)

Xgauge is the new software for the ScangaugeII.
The Add-A-Gauge™ and XGauge will only work on ScanGaugeII, not the origional ScanGauge
For all vehicles it adds:
HorsePower Gasoline Gross/Brake

It should have:
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 +/- 0 to 99
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 +/- 0 to 99
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 3 +/- 0 to 99
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 4 +/- 0 to 99
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 +/- 0 to 99
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 +/- 0 to 99
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 3 +/- 0 to 99
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 4 +/- 0 to 99

O2 sensor data:
Bank 1 - Sensor 1 0 to 99
Bank 2 - Sensor 1 0 to 99
Bank 2 - Sensor 2 0 to 99

And adds GM enhanced data:
Elapsed Time Since Engine Start
Knock Retard Degrees
Barometer V6 Inches of Mercury
A/F Ratio
Remaining Oil Life % (This may be for other models and not available)
Engine Torque Ft-Lbs
Transmission Fluid Temperature

The next upgrade will add the USB cable for data logging and flash upgrades. That will be handy. That will be an add on package, and I don't know if it will require sending the gauge in again.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I must have been tired when looking for it. I apologize and TYVMImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well it does have some more options, however I did not find the trans temp yet. I have not had time to play with it yet.
I will have to see how to unlock the secrets.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:............I will have to see how to unlock the secrets.
Roger that! :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, this thing rocks! Easily user programmable for additional gauges.
Why do you have to program gauges? Differences and options available. You really don't want to scroll through a list of inactive gauges. It is better to add those that you want and can use.

I will admit to be somewhat intimidated by the instruction book. Finally I jumped in and it clicked.

You need to print out this file Xgauge list of data to enter for vehicle specific gauges (PDF File) This gives you the line of information needed to add your choice of gauge.
I added a transmission temperature gauge as an example.

Adding transmission temperature:

Press the red circled home button first.

MORE>MORE>MORE>XGAUGE

Select the memory number for the new gauge. I chose 20 using the upper right button.
Next choose EDIT (lower left)

This is where the information from the PDF chart is entered. The first input screen is TXD
Use the left buttons to change the numeral or letter , up or down. The upper right button advances to the next digit. If you go too far or make a mistake just keep advancing and it will start again at the beginning.

Enter 6C10F122194001 and select OK

RXF = 046205190640 , OK
RXD = 3008 , OK
MTH = 00090005FFD8 , OK
NAME = TFT , OK
SAVE

Done! Now you have transmission temperature available when you scroll through the list. It is only a couple degrees off of my other gauge while cold. It will be fun to closely compare :D
I also added horsepower.

Two thumbs up :thumb:

Hind sight being 20/20, if I was to invest in a transmission temperature gauge, this would be the only choice. The versatility and cost are very good. I can scan and clear a code on the road if needed. Monitor voltage and mileage. Any gauge I might want too.
Really a good value for the investment.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

I finally have my Scangauge II all packed & ready to send off for the upgrade, I already miss it every time I get in my truck and see that naked connector. My strenth is in how overjoyed & excited you are with the X-gauge upgrade, it'll be worth a few weeks without it.
S10Wheels
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The transmission temperature gauge has been consistently within a couple degrees. I have not added any other gauges. Maybe I'll look through the choices during the holiday break.

Add this one to your Xmas list if it is not too late. It is a good one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

HenryJ wrote:The transmission temperature gauge has been consistently within a couple degrees. I have not added any other gauges. Maybe I'll look through the choices during the holiday break.

Add this one to your Xmas list if it is not too late. It is a good one.
My Scangauge II is already there, it was delivered to them on Dec. 1st., so I'm just waiting to get it back, soon I hope!!" In the mean time, I love hearing your positive reports-thanks
S10Wheels :wink:
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

Brule,
I got my X-gauge reprogrammed Scangauge II back today. I will put it back in the truck first thing in the morning and I'll have to wait a couple of days till I can really play with it. First comes Trans. temp. (whats the norm & high temp.?), then HP & torque, then A/F ratio, and .....

:woohoo:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: Kid in a candy store...
Mine has been running between 73° and 170° , but it is really cold here now.
I have pushed it hard to 200°+ I can not say what exactly the temperatures should be.
Much like the stock car driver with all needles pointing straight up, I tend to watch for things out of the norm rather than specific temperatures. Cause and effect. If it does not have a known cause and you see an effect. That is cause for worry.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

That's exactly what I needed to know-thanks, I'll expect temps. ranging around 180-200+ were having some warm temps here, 70's-80 by afternoon.
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

so would this be good since my gas gauge dont work? The site says it has "Fuel to Empty" gauge...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may rely on the same information from the sender that the faulty gauge is getting. I would not count on it being a problem solver.
If you have a bad sender, it is likely your pump is not far behind. That money would be better spent on a new module.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

owell but i was reading th x-gauge thing and there are some pretty sweet things u can add
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I broke down and bought one. I'm am not disappointed. Shipping was fast only 2 days. It is pretty spot on with fuel economy and temperatures. I towed a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer today (weighed under 4k lbs) trans temp was respectable under 200* with no auxiliary cooler. Looks like I won't need a cooler afterall. Great product and does much more than the overhead console I was looking into getting. Miles till empty is simple once it is set up so I get a decent estimate of how far I have left to go. Great product, if you were thinking about getting one, get it! Now I can clear codes for my friends before inspection time!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Checking out the horsepower gauge and I got 220hp. Is this accurate or just a close guess?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

If you were to buy one of these today (3/24/08 ) would it be the new version with all the latest features, such as reading tranny temp?

OR, would you have to send it in for reprogramming?
Last edited by Rockrz on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yeah you will get the new version. I got mine $10 less and still with free shipping at this site. There might be better deals like on ebay but then you might not be getting the newest version so it might have to be sent in.
Pure Energy Systems Scangauge
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I'd rather go ahead and get the latest and greatest. BUt, I will probably wait until I get my newer truck to replace my current '96.

I think it would be cool to mount it in the dash, maybe under my Radio/CD player. Make it look stock!
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

I got my Scangauge II about a week ago but haven't had much time to play with it. Can anybody tell me what the short and long term fuel trim would be telling me, also the O2 sensor. What would be the purpose of monitoring them. Also can anybody confirm that the Barometer V6 does not work, I cannot get a reading.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I really don't know what the significance of those are.

Thanks
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Scan Gauge II question

Post by bradjh »

I have a hypertech power programmer installed can i still use the scan gauge II or will it undo what i have done? How much are they and where is the best place to order from??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Scangauge is read only. It will not affect any settings made with a HPPIII, or otherwise.
I bought mine from Linear-Logic.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

Mightym wrote:I got my Scangauge II about a week ago but haven't had much time to play with it. Can anybody tell me what the short and long term fuel trim would be telling me, also the O2 sensor. What would be the purpose of monitoring them. Also can anybody confirm that the Barometer V6 does not work, I cannot get a reading.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I really don't know what the significance of those are.

Thanks

Anybody have any input on this, please let me know.

Thanks again
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If I am remembering correctly the fuel trim measurements are showing how rich or lean the engine is running at any given time(short term) and over time(long term) This is one of the parameters that the engine uses to keep a proper air/fuel mix. I am not sure what if any useful data can be pulled except by comparing reading over time. As for the O2 sensors (3 total in our rigs) the properly functioning sensors show constant cycling between high and low voltage readings when the are working so the gauge would be able to tell you when a failure is eminent if the numbers suddenly stop fluctuating if you monitored #3 after the catalytic converter you might get an idea if the cat was failing but that's only a guess.
I expect mine in this week so maybe I will have more answers later once I get to play with mine.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

LTFTs are a way to view how rich or lean your engine is running. Just being able to read them or view them won't do you any good without a way to tune them. You change them by increasing or decreasing the injection slope %

I've been reading a lot over at DiabloSport.com and I'll admit I am still new at tuning perameters of a vehicle. their tuner (Predator) allows you to dial in your LTFTs for your specific application (unlike superchip or hypertech). the cookie-cutter tune you get with the other brands doesn't take into consideration things like: aftermarket intakes or exhausts that can change your LTFTs.

By dialing your LTFTs into the -2 to 0 range you have optimum performance and mileage and a "custom" tune of sorts.

This is the reason I am going with their tuner, that and they have a specific forum dedicated to GM gas tuning with lots of helpful people and diablosport staff.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bwenny247 wrote:I've been reading a lot over at DiabloSport.com ... their tuner (Predator) allows you to dial in your LTFTs for your specific application (unlike superchip or hypertech). ...This is the reason I am going with their tuner...
Not available for our trucks, so this does not apply.

As far as I know LS1edit is our only option for programming all of the PCM parameters ourself. It is not cost effective at this point.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

Thanks for the extra info, kinda helps me understand a little more what they are for. Most of the tuning sites didn't explain it very well, they acted like you should already know what it all means. Most of my wrenching is done on cars from the 50's and 60's, not very much computer fiddling on them :-)

Thanks.
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

Mine arrived on Thursday and I hooked it up for Friday's commute.:woohoo:

I didn't have a lot of time to read instructions and set it up properly, but what little bit of button pushing I did brought forth more info than I ever imagined! I cleared the o2 sensor check light, so I'll see how long before it shows up again.

Instantly seeing the mpg kept my foot light on the pedal. :nono:

Now this has got me thinking that one of those custom tune things would be a good father's day present.......hmmmmmmm how to drop a hint without being over zealous about it......gonna contemplate this today :lol:
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
groceryman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by groceryman »

Just got my scan gauge 2 thursday the transmission temp around town is around225 and 250 most speeds about 40mph is this to high should i be worried.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have an external engine cooler? If not, it is time to add one.

The temperature can easily run higher than the engine temperature. Stop and go city driving is the worst. It is slipping all the time. Get it out on the highway and see if it hovers closer to 200. A little past the engine temperature can be considered normal.

200-250 is not unreasonable for temperature. Keeping it 20-70 degrees cooler will really help the lifespan though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well I just got in from setting up my new toy :D. I set up X-Gauges fro O2 sensors, trans temp,horse power, torque, air /fuel ratio and a couple others but the one I was expecting to see as stock or at least an add on was the MAF sensor data. I had just scanned my system with my AutoXray tool before taking it in the other day and in comparing the last scan with the scan just after I had installed my CAI I was able to see it was time to clean the filter, MAF data on this would be nice to keep an eye on this.
Wish they had the option to hook to a computer to program this thing lots of little button pushing for big fingers to cope with. Will report more once I fill up the tank and run it a few days. Where are most people mounting this? I just ran the wire up the door pillar and across the dash under the seam at the top and velcroed it just above the radio.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:.............Where are most people mounting this?...............
Oh c'mon Brian. You had a rear view camera mounted hidden in your license plate before your first frakkin' post here. Are you becoming a Image?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

? I was just wondering if others had found a better place to put this thing. I didn't say I put the wire on top of the dash taped down with ducttapeImage. Today was about down and dirty make it work, it was 93 at noon when I was putting this in and that makes me really cranky, I might need to build an extension cable so I can route it under the dash and back up to where I want it to come out but that wil have to wait till cooler weather and an answer from the company to see if a standard rj45 cable can be used as an extension or if I have to build it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:Wish they had the option to hook to a computer to program this thing lots of little button pushing for big fingers to cope with.
Keep an eye on the website. I expect an email any day. They are working on a usb interface. Data logging will be uploadable to the computer as well as the ability to update the unit with a flash.
04crewvt wrote:... I was expecting to see as stock or at least an add on was the MAF sensor data. .. MAF data on this would be nice to keep an eye on this...
It may be possible. All you need is the right code to enter. A little research and you should be able to find it. Read the book and I am sure a smart guy like you will find it easy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Got a scanguage II yesterday pretty nice little gadget.

Actually works on my 95Z.

Transmission temp, Oil life, Engine torque, and Horse power are some of the guages I have added so far.

Transmission temp, oil life and engine torque only work on 01 and later from what I have figured out.

Horse power I know its not right, but it does work. Not sure what its base off of showed I had almost 500 hp :!:

Haven't tried it on the crew yet.

I do like how you can read and clear codes have done it on the Z.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I am impressed by how close to accurate the MPG function is on fill up, it is usually off by no more than 2/10 gal. Unfortunately it hasn't helped me boost the MPG yet - still hovering around 17.6-17.9. It does give pause when you floor it and the MPG gauge goes to 9999
which is it's way of saying TILT. The trans temp feature alone is worth the price of this thing, nice to see mine sitting right at 190-210 even in the heat we have been having this past week.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I have been concerned about my water temp for years and have even changed the sensor, because my temps in the Z always read low.

acording to the scanguage II it reads right at the 200 degree range or just under.

MPH seems to be right on also.

Although the trans temp won't work on the Z. That one I really wanted on it.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Mightym
Regular
Regular

fillup and trip computer

Post by Mightym »

does anybody know how to get the trip computer back to normal. My wife filled up the truck and didn't reset the scangauge, then several days later filled the truck up again, then reset it. So now it thinks that it got twice the mileage out of one tank of gas. So now everything is out of whack with the gauge, DTE, horsepower, MPG. Also, would if you can't afford to fillup every time with these gas prices, say you only put $20 dollars in, instead of filling up all the way. What should you do then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Follow sequence MORE>MORE>MORE>USE DEFAULTS>YES you will then need to reprogram all your info and custom gauges into the system. The system will never be accurate if you don't fill up each time even if that means more stops.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Just got my SG2 last week. This thing is sweet. I have always been a gaget man! It has been working out pretty good too. My son just past his first stage of drivers training. So I don't get to drive much anymore. That gives me lots of time to play with the gauge while actually driving. I mean riding!

I mounted mine with valcro on the stearing console just before the emergency flasher switch. It's not too high to cover the stock OD or Trip gauge. I can reach it while driving and still be facing (mostly) the road. I do have to run it at low light at night. But with the multipal settings, it's easy to find a light color that blends in with out blinding you.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Anybody know offhand which set of data is needed to read the O2 sensor after the Cat? I got bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 showing but not sure which set of codes work for the last one?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:Anybody know offhand which set of data is needed to read the O2 sensor after the Cat?
I would try Bank 2 sensor 2. I see two listed in the PDF file.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

So just for everyone's info if you want the O2 sensors data you need to program the ScanGauge using the O2 sensor data for all ISO/VPW vehicles you want the codes for Bank 1- Sensor 1, Bank 1-Sensor 2 and Bank 2 - Sensor 1
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Installed my SGII a few weeks back. Have a question for anybody if they can help. What are the sensor parameters that cause the PCM to shift from closed to open loop? Mine stays in closed loop almost all the time. I know my thermostat is weak but the engine temp hit 188-190 today and the thing still stayed in closed loop. IAT was over 100. No codes were showing and it didn't seem to matter how I drove. I may be wrong but I don't think the truck is supposed to run on so tight a schedule as to not go into open loop unless over 190F. If that were so all you guys running colder thermostats would be having poor fuel mileage. I have noted a 2mpg loss while delivering mail compared to stats from a year ago. Not large but when you put on the miles I do it adds up to a lot of bucks pretty quick.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Update and correction: I had my open/closed loop mixed up in the last post. Runs in open till engine is warm and other parameters are met then goes into closed loop. Changed my T-stat and corrected my P0128 code situation. Then noted parameters for switch in loop modes on my truck are IAT 45F+, Engine 140F+, and run-time till 140F less than 5minutes.
The more I use the gauge the better I like it. I have noted already since my gas gauge quit my tank-to-empty and avg mpg have been quite valuable as well as accurate. Also really like the transmission temp gauge especially when wheelin.
Now if I could figure out or somebody could tell me what exactly the MAP readings represent. Seems to run counter directionally to what I would assume would be readings of vacuum in intake manifold, as relates to throttle position, which in turn seems to have a retard effect on the timing. :?:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Scan Gauge II

Post by HenryJ »

Heads up.

This is sort of a long story and the conclusion has yet to be determined. I thought I'd put the feelers out there and see if anyone else was having any difficulties that may be connected to their Scangauge II.

Since the sale of my old S-series truck I have been using the Scangauge II in a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx. These cars have electronic power steering. The Malibu since 2000 has been known to have power steering issues due to a defective part in the steering column assembly. Earlier models received a recall for these repairs. There is now a "Special policy" in place for our 2006 that covers repair and replacement of the column should a problem arise.
Our Maxx did exhibit this problem once prior to the special policy, but it had not recurred. Fast forward to a couple months ago when I sold my truck and invested in a new one. Now the Maxx is having problems with loss of power steering pretty regularly. I am starting to think , "Great! Just blew the bucks on a newer truck and the car is falling apart!". We made arrangements with the GM service department to check it out and perform the column replacement.
That went without a hitch. The parts were ordered, column replaced and we are back in business, right? Nope.
Same problems.
Looking deeper into the "Special Policy" it was JUST a column replacement. Not a fix for the loss of power steering issue. They would do no more. This was now OUR problem. I know the service manager at that dealership, and while that might make some of you mad, not me. I told him that I would figure it out and then we could see what needs to be done. He was more than willing to help how ever he could. I do understand that his hands were tied as to seeking reimbursement through GM.
We ran the codes and came back with U2100 and U2109. These codes were related to loss of communications with the PCM and another module. Nate checked the TSBs and found that low voltage or power spikes could create the situation where these codes might surface. He related a story about a bad coil pack triggering such a failure. It seems that they don't like power fluctuation and shut down to save themselves.

As soon as I saw the codes, I thought about a bad battery connection. The errors always seemed to coincide with wet weather events. That puts connections in question. I checked the battery and it was good. I asked about the column replacement and any connections that they might have disturbed. No leads there as nothing was suspect.
My suspicion that wet weather was a contributing factor did not pan out.

I HATE to blame an aftermarket device for a problem. That is something the dealer is all too quick to do! They did not even mention it. I disconnected the ScangaugeII for over a week and we had no problems. Then reconnected it and within a week the errors occurred again. Loss of power steering, and I assume this was due to a communications error with the PCM. The gauge has been disconnected for a month now and no errors.

Yesterday I contacted Linear Logic, LLC the manufacturer of the Scangauge II by email and was promptly replied to by Leah O'Campo.
Leah wrote:Thank you for your inquiry. It is possible that your ScanGaugeII may have a hardware malfunction. Please send in your ScanGauge II for free repair. Along with your unit, please include a note explaining what issues you are experiencing with your ScanGauge II, what year and type of vehicle the ScanGauge II is plugged into, your contact information, and your return shipping information.
I shipped the unit yesterday and await...."the rest of the story."

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I know that a lot of folks love a mystery but, mysteries are rapidly replacing what was once considered "the norm". :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If it turns out to be just fine, I may have a Scangauge II for sale. I am starting to suspect that the Malibu may have an over sensitive PCM and not play well with others.
It worked flawlessly in the S-10. I have no need for it in the Avalanche as my BullyDog does all it does and more.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Probable "buyer" here!
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

getn ready to order me one . wheres the best place online to get it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:getn ready to order me one . wheres the best place online to get it?
The price seems to be pretty much the same everywhere. I purchased directly from Linear Logic $170

I see Autozone is now a retailer. They show it as a special order at a lesser price $160

There may be older units available. Look carefully though. you do want one with Xgauge so that you can add the transmission temperature gauge.

I am not likely to reinstall it in the Maxx. Mine will likely be for sale once it returns. I think Reed has implied dibs on it. I am hoping the sale of it will go toward the Bluetooth module for the Avalanche.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

If Reed doesn't take it I'd like 2nd dibs!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:............I am not likely to reinstall it in the Maxx. Mine will likely be for sale once it returns. I think Reed has implied dibs on it..........
:mrgreen: Might even trade a NIB 20GA for it. :roflmao:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sure, but no way to get that here :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Now I smell a ROAD TRIP!!