Electric Fan

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Electric Fan

Post by Brad »

Flex-a-lite offers an electric fan for s-series trucks. I have heard they can be worth up to 10 HP and 2 mpg. Any opinions?

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It would be OK if you live in a cooler climate.

It gets pretty hot here and I pull a trailer sometimes.

The electric fans don't pull as much CFM as the stock one does. With the summer heat and the AC on they don't keep up.

You will indeed pick up some HP , not having the crank driven fan, and might even make a little gain in mpg.

If you can keep it cool it is a win, win.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

How much are they? Any links?
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

200 bucks at www.jegs.com

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

I have the #60 on my older blazer (92). I don't know about the 2MPG thing but there is a slight noticable increase in engine power, especially at higher RPMs ... that's because the heavy mechanical fan is not there anymore to put drag on the engine.

However, that fan needs a LOT of juice so if you have other electrical stuff like stereo/amps and lights, you may need a high-output alternator. But if you are just doing the fan, the stock alt will probably be fine.

The install is VERY easy ... probably takes about 30 mins.

Let me know if you want more details ... you won't get too much fuel savings out of it but there will be a slight increase in acceleration responce ... oh and the engine runs much more quiet ... until the fan kicks in!!!! But at night, when the fan is off, it's a world of difference in noise levels.
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

But HenryJ is right about the electrical not being as good as the mechanical ... I was having troubles at times in the summer (105+ degree heat) driving long up hill stretches.. the temps would go up quick.

This was partly due to me having an open-element air filter which was sucking hot air from all around the engine. It may have also been related to my radiator not being in tip top shape ... but the fan definitely adds to that problem.

The #60 only covers about 75% of the radiator with its shroud. I wouldn't recommend it if you drive or tow in hot climates ... in such a situation, you are much better off with an AUX pusher fan installed in front of the radiator for cooling .. but I guess you are more interested in MPG/HP gains.
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

Post by EDWRDM »

Does anyone else have a lot of noise from the stock fan when the engine is first started? I complained to the dealer and was told that they are all that way. My 2000 ZR-2 was never like that, must be the new improvements for 2002! :?:
2002 S10 ZR-5 Crewcab Yellow (can u believe they charge extra for Yellow?) Access LE Cover w/ electric tailgate lock, APC Clear Corners, Vent Visors, Deflecta Shield .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

EDWRDM wrote:Does anyone else have a lot of noise from the stock fan when the engine is first started?
That is normal. The oil in the clutch tends to settle when they sit still. When you start it it takes a little while for centrifical forces to equally distribute it. Basically the clutch is locked up and then frees itself.

If you ever get it hot enough you'll hear the clutch lock and the rushing sound too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

EDWRDM wrote:Does anyone else have a lot of noise from the stock fan when the engine is first started? I complained to the dealer and was told that they are all that way. My 2000 ZR-2 was never like that, must be the new improvements for 2002! :?:

If your wondering why they charge extra for yellow. It's because the yellow is a thiner paint and they have to run it in the machine more than the others.