ORI light bar Installation

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

D68enny
Crew
Crew

ORI light bar Installation

Post by D68enny »

I just got the 53-1002 Eliminator light bar from Off Road Innovations and I am wondering if anybody knows about installing it on a 02 Sonoma. It does not look like a direct bolt on item like I thought it was supposed to be. I have a 2" body lift, so could that covering the main mounting holes I should be seeing? It looks like I need to drill my own wholes through the plastic on the bumber and then into the metal part of the bumber for the 2 main mounts and the 2 smaller mounts. It did not come with directions. Is that normal?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That sounds about right. Mark and Hobie had them.

I would Image AZS10Crew , Image Kwalsh or Image Steve2003 and point out this thread
Conman wrote:These are "bolt-on" bars as I'm told but minor drilling still. On the LS bumpers, it uses a few of the existing holes so some plastic triming is required but they state it still bolts up...it appears I might have to trim the grill "lip" a little because of the lip above the fender as the two brace bars need to mount there. I bet this was designed on a 94 as they don't have a lip in the grill. It will still look good, but more work than I wanted...I looked at a couple of 94-97 s10s and it appears it will fit perfectly without any plastic trimming. The 98 and up it will fit, but since we have that lip on the grill plastic, some trimming will be needed of that.
AZS10Crew wrote:A few words of advice on the install though. Try to get a hold of a tap to clean out the threads on the two bumper face mounts. They got powdercoat inside on the threads on mine and it was a b!tch to get bolted on...had to remove the bumper to torque it down. And believe me...getting the grille back on with that bar in place is no picnic.
Steve2003 wrote:the top mounts of the bar hit the plastic peice that sits on top of the bumper! And yes the threads were full of powder coat! My ivoice says part no# ori 53-1002 Blazer mid-size. I would say thats the wrong one! My friend who is a trailer macanic at work is prety good with metal and steel. He said we could bend the top cross bars out about a half inch on each side and it would fit fine, it just might crack the powder coat a little bit, which I'm not worried about because I'm going to refinish it anyway!...All in all it went pretty good, especially seeing that the bar was not centered proportioned right, but we made it work.
Kwalsh wrote:I installed an ORI bar last weekend on my '03. I didn't have anything to bend those bars back and I had to trim that lip on the grill.
Looks like there may be some modifications needed to make it fit.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

You definately need to do some cutting on the GMC. This is the reason my bar has been sitting in my shed for 2 years now. You need to make mounting holes in the bumper cover then bolt it the metal underneath. :(
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
D68enny
Crew
Crew

Post by D68enny »

Ok Thanks, I thought it was to good to be true. There is nothing bolt on about it. Then there were no directions to get any ideas from any mounting locations. I thought this install was going to be a breeze.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

D68enny wrote:..........I thought this install was going to be a breeze.
Rarely does anything install easily on these puppies :lol: If, HenryJ doesn't say it is easy and just posts basics...it, will be he_l on mere mortals. If, he say it is a pita install, I run and forget that I ever considered the mod, in question :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
D68enny
Crew
Crew

Post by D68enny »

I don't know if i am going to install it now. The way it should fit i don't like to much, and the way I want it to go on puts those tops bars right up on the headlights. They cross over in front of the turn signals and almost sit up against them. If I mount it that way I may have trouble getting the whole headlight out if needed. The way it looks like it fits in there the best puts it pretty far away from the truck. I want it to have a more close looking fit, but that puts those top mounts in a bad place.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pm the guys Brule suggested. PM "AZS10Crew" because he stays close to the forum. Try Steve as well before you shelve the idea.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

If you would like some close up pics from different angles, let me know and I will hook you up.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:If you would like some close up pics from different angles, let me know and I will hook you up.
Thanks for dropping in stranger!
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Got it :thumb: :D
D68enny
Crew
Crew

Post by D68enny »

Yes Steve, I would love some different angle shots. Did you make holes big enough for the main mounts to go through the plastic and come in contact with the metal when you tightened them up, or did you just mount up against the plastic?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

D68enny wrote:Yes Steve, I would love some different angle shots. Did you make holes big enough for the main mounts to go through the plastic and come in contact with the metal when you tightened them up, or did you just mount up against the plastic?
PM Steve with your question and he will probably respond a little quicker. I know when I get PMs in different forums that I do not check often, I'll get an email alerting me. It's just a thought :wink: I had just emailed him a joke and that is maybe why he popped in.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I'll try to take some pics and post. The install doesn't require that much work; trim the grill and drill 4 holes. My headlights are not blocked. It sure does look good on the truck.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Here are some close up's, as far as the plastic piece I did not drill through it, I just filed a little bit of it to make room.

D68enny
Crew
Crew

Post by D68enny »

Thanks for the pics. I will install it this week some time.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Anyone got updated pictures? Just cruising through some older threads. Just to recap, I never installed mine and I sold the bar to someone at this forum(could not remember who it was now). The Blue truck with the bar installed looks great!

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

You sold it to me. It is still in my shed, wrapped in saran wrap(+2 years). The Sonoma requires even more work to mount it, so I haven't got around to it.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]