Painting the plastic front grille

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Painting the plastic front grille

Post by Cajun »

I'd like to paint the plastic front grille of my CC esp. the chrome strip. The lower flange of the grille just above the bumper is beginning to chalk. I'd like to paint the whole thing black. My one concern is the paint chipping off and looking worse than it already does. Any recommendations on prep and paint?

Thanks!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's been done by gocountry (sp?). There is a plastic surface prep and he had planned on doing it yearly but, have not heard if, he has had to. Email AZS10Crew for helpful hints. He was in the automotive paint business until he got fed up and went to a Ford dealership. He is full of good info!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Will do! Thanks!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I did the bowtie with a product called "Paint over Plastic." Has held up great!! Got it at Walmart
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here Is Mine. I Just Sanded All The Chrome With Fine Grit Sandpaper And Used Spray Paint In A Can. It Does Start Wearing Off Every Now And Then. This Spring I'm Going To Do It The Right Way By Preping It, Primer, Then Paint And See How Long It Lasts.

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I think I will do that this spring. It will the last of the chrome gone on my body. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I used Krylon H2O. It's the only paint i've used that hasn't chipped. I've tried fusion (the plastic paint) and just normal paint, both chipped in no time.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

gocntry,

looks great! just what i'd like to do. is your whole grille painted? or just the chrome strip?
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

There's a plastic adhesion promoter you may want to spray after sanding.
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Cajun wrote:gocntry,

looks great! just what i'd like to do. is your whole grille painted? or just the chrome strip?
On Mine I Had To Paint The Chrome Center Strip And The Trim Moulding Around The Headlights Was Chrome Also. The Rest Of The Grill Was Already Black From The Factory.
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

gocntry wrote:
Cajun wrote:gocntry,

On Mine I Had To Paint The Chrome Center Strip And The Trim Moulding Around The Headlights Was Chrome Also. The Rest Of The Grill Was Already Black From The Factory.
I've yet to paint the trim around the light housing. Does the glass come out or did you just tape it off?
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Griff wrote:I've yet to paint the trim around the light housing. Does the glass come out or did you just tape it off?
I Don't Think The Glass Comes Out, I Just Taped It Up, Scuffed The Chrome And Sprayed It.
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i painted the weather faded gray inset area of my Sonoma`s grille with semi-gloss black. i left the outer perimeter part body colored.

makes the truck look newer, and sportier...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

Post by huntsman2002crew »

that pic up there kinda looks like a z71 tahoe doesnt it
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

To the top

Post by _STUCKY »

Ill put up a picture when I get done. Oriellys had 2 Oem gm blacks. It really didn't matter which one I got, it was gonna be the wrong one. So back to town I must go for some paint without sparkles...

A teaser pic:

I do not like Dupli-Color Part #s bgm0381 black or bgm0538 black. Instead I ended up using bun0100 universal black. The red is bgm0398 bright red. I also used Dupli-color adhesion promoter and clear coat.