Polyurethane Cab Mounts

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Tony
Crew
Crew

Polyurethane Cab Mounts

Post by Tony »

Anyone have any info on them? I know Energy Suspension makes them, but I don't think they have them for the Crew Cabs? Unless the mounts and the locations are identical?

Thanks guys.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Urethane body mounts will help keep the frame and body tied together better which reduces frame/body flex and allows the suspension to work more efficiently. :)

The down side is that a lot more road vibrations are transferred to the cab.

I have urethane body mounts and solid suspension bushings on my SS and there is a definite increase in "road feel". :wink:

ES makes a few body mount kits, but none for the CC. :(

An extended cab kit might work, but is is also possible that you may need to purchased additional mounts to make the kit work on a CC. :shrug:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I can't locate the site right now but, it is something like "gmupfitters.com" and it shows the frames and mount locations. I am 99% sure that an extended cabs parts will work just fine.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

http://www.gmupfitter.com/index.htm

Is that the site?

How many cab mounts do our trucks have?

Right now I just want to replace the two front ones that are by the tow hooks.

I plan on pulling my reinforcement bar off and POR-15 the front end.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is the site, Tony. If you are just going to do the front 2 then might as well do them all. I am having trouble to not confuse a body lift with just what you are seeking to do but, I would want to do it all while you are at it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, that makes any sense :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Tony wrote:Right now I just want to replace the two front ones that are by the tow hooks.
I would at least do all of cab mounts or none at all. :?

The reason I say this is because if you replace only the front 2 mounts with urethane you will be creating a lot of stress for those front 2 bolts since the rest of the mounts can still flex. :wink:

You might have no problems at all, but I wouldn't take any chances. :wink:

Steve
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

Umm, well the thing is. I'm going to POR-15 my front end (ohh yeah anyone ever use that stuff?). And while I'm there I saw the front mounts. How difficult is it to replace them?

I might as well wait then.
[size=75]-Tony
[b]2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab SLS[/b] | 4.3L 262ci 90º V6; Hydra Matic 4L60E |
0 mods getting it back to factory shape then modding.[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I think Bobblesmitty used it on parts of his frame, but not sure about anybody else. :shrug:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Tony wrote:I'm going to POR-15 my front end (ohh yeah anyone ever use that stuff?).
I've used it on a few older cars that I was restoring, mainly floor pans and trunks. :D

Make sure you buy the cleaners they sell since the prep work is very important. :wink:

If you do everything right that stuff is almost indestructible. :D
I saw the front mounts. How difficult is it to replace them?
The mounts are very easy to replace, very similar to installing a body lift.

You might need to loosen some of the other mounts in order to get the front 2 out if that's still your plan. :?

I would still recommend doing all of them. :wink:

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I've used the POR 15 on both my S10 and the 1952 Ford that I built with my cousin. I wouldn't say that prepping the surface is all that necessary, but it is very important to purchase a UV protectant paint or any top coat for that matter that goes on after you paint everything. I didn't do this on my truck. When the sunlight hits the paint on the frame rails (which are very visable after a body lift) the paint actually begins to peel off. So if you're going to invest the money in the POR 15, do a top coat also. But other than that, POR 15 is pretty much bomb proof!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

BobbleSmitty wrote:I wouldn't say that prepping the surface is all that necessary, but it is very important to purchase a UV protectant paint or any top coat for that matter that goes on after you paint everything.
:?:
When the sunlight hits the paint on the frame rails the paint actually begins to peel off. So if you're going to invest the money in the POR 15, do a top coat also.
:?:

POR-15 won't peel off unless the surface wasn't prepped right. :?

Surface prep is VERY important with POR-15. :P

It will discolor a bit from UV light if not top coated, but it will not peel off if done right. :wink:

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'm sorry...the only surface that I noticed peeling was infact the step bar brackets... The frame itself just faded.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]