Floor Shift Console Installation Complete

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Floor Shift Console Installation Complete

Post by Jim »

Short on words for now. This write up will continue over the next few weeks :) Console will be a snap now that I have the shifter mount worked out. The steering column looks to be plug and play with the floor shift....park shift lock and all. according to the Helms manual all wiring and connectors will work 8)

Remove old console 3 bolts... no wonder it rattled. :!:
Cut carpet out and drill out already dimpled holes and install Marson
Thread Setter inserts. (use drill stops. wires and stuff are right under there) :shock:
Install shifter :D
Last edited by Jim on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Wow... watching this thread VERY closely... this is something i've wanted to do for awhile.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

If successful :D install will be complete tomorrow with pics.
I've checked every component and everything is ready to go, I'm estimating 4 hrs with pics.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Jim

Post by Jim »

:( Won't be today I cut the zip ties off the rolled up shift cable I was going to use and it turned out to be a 2wd cable so I didn't even start. I went to the local Chevy dealer to see if they had one, of course they didn't. I'll have it Monday between 9:and noon, I may try to do it then. There are three different cables for the floor automatics. 2wd, push button 4wd and auto 4wd. the one I need lists for around $90. :shock:
Last edited by Jim on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:..............the one I need lists for around $90. :shock:
OUCHImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Started tonight, will post pics tomorrow. I installed the column and have all the wiring completed. All I need to do is route the shift cable and put the steering wheel on and matching wood grain window switches and the job is done
Last edited by Jim on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

This is a totally plug and play setup. The only snag I had was when I was all finished the vehicle wouldn't start. I didn't switch the theft-lock assembly from my old column to the new. It went into theft mode, thinking I was manipulating the ignition. It seems that item must stay with the same vehicle body control module it was paired with or GM will need to program the thing for $$$ I was told if I leave the key in the run position for an hour the system may learn the new chip but mine didn't, maybe it was the wrong year chip.

I think the lock cylinder is paired up with the theft-lock housing like a card reader so if the old dent puller trick was done it won't start, but my former business partner and Chevy truck rebuilder says you can change cylinders and it still will run, the chip is what must stay with the original BCM.
Buttoned back up and it looks like it came from the factory that way

Tips:
:D Buy a console that didn't have a 6 disc CD player in it.
:D Get the right column 2002 early the steering wheel locks, late 02 on, there is no lock (you can turn the wheel with the key removed)
:D Get the right shift cable 3 different ones see above post
:D Make sure all wiring and brackets are included with the shifter. If in doubt buy from S10Warehouse on Ebay
:D Switching over the combination switch is easy. I wouldn't do as I did and completely purchase everything to do a entire column exchange since most of it needs to come apart to change over the theft-lock cylinder housing.

Cost:
A real nice console $200 with all parts (try to get one with a 4x4 shifter cable)

All you need is a bare bones column in good shape $50

Special tools:
Torx driver
Steering wheel puller
Steering lock ring tool ($10 at Autozone)
Marson thread setter tool for the shifter to the floor mount or weld a stud on there like the factory.

Mistakes I made: :(
Wrong column late 02 now for sale $50
Console had a 2wd shift cable
Bought all parts to do a quick switch of the column, new combination switch etc. should have used the old one over. I won't ever be putting this back to a column shift and I doubt if the collector that buys it 15 years from now will care I kept all the old parts.

Right moves :)
Couldn't have purchased a nicer console, leather boot, flocked interior, perfect condition.
Had a Bravada sitting around to look at, real handy finding the console connector and how the shift cable was routed under the carpet.

One cool thing is the shift indicator on the dash works in conjunction with the floor shifter that is nicer than the factory setup 8)
Last edited by Jim on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Outstanding and a long awaited mod to see it through.Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

when should I drop mine off?????
Jim

Post by Jim »

Next weekend Bravada seats and overhead console...hope it starts after that :shock:
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Very Nice Jim. I like the wood grain too.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Interior mods are almost complete, today I put the Bravada seats in.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Awesome, JimImage

What is that black thing on the passenger side floor board in the lower right corner? Something you haven't put away before the photo?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Black tie all the way 8)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

f9k9 wrote:Awesome, JimImage

What is that black thing on the passenger side floor board in the lower right corner? Something you haven't put away before the photo?
Compact umbrella
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:..........Compact umbrella
Kewl! No shame in that :wink:
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm looking for some 98 up, Front Bravada door panels and some 96-97 rear door panels the upper section of the older panel fits the rear of our trucks. Then I guess I'll be finished :P

Last edited by Jim on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:......... Then I guess I'll be finished :P .............
Sorry, Sir. I have to call BS! You are the "Poster child" for perfect visual mods! You aren't done and you have already began the implementation of others others.

I ain't going to go into mechanical ones but, I suspect you have more than one idea that you are exploring :wink:
S10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10 »

I just won a floor shifter/console on E-bay. So I am going to keep my eye on this thread.
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

thats awesome. we did a cheap-o floor shifter swap on a buddies old ranger, we cheated like crazy.. we removed the column shifter rods and locks, but kept the column there. used a 3sp shifter from a cavelier i think. (his ranger has a 350 w/ 350 trans). your set up is 110% better then the one we did!!
[size=75]I hold Wrench, you turn truck!![/size]
S10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10 »

I was at the salvage yard, today. I went looking for manual steeering columns. I saw two 97 columns.
I know the steering wheels different than my 2002. But would the covers, that are on the column, work to cover up, where the shifter was on my column?
S10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10 »

For those interested, I went to the dealer and got some info, on the shifter cable. The console is DO7 opition code. The transmission with electronic transfer-case is opition code NP4/NP8. The shifter cable is part # 15189203. I order my shifter cable from this web site for $68.15.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214447

You can go here http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm and get the cable cheaper $53.86. I canceled my order with the other place and ordered it from here. remember to add shipping as well.

Don Z.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Jim would it be possible to use existing column for the floor shift mod? I have bought a column for a floor shifter off ebay with radio controls, I was planning to swap the controls over to my column. I just hate to swap my good column for a used unknown column.

Could I just take off the shifter and use the column cover that came with the column? All I'll have to do is run the wire for the controls and swap the top piece on the column that wires run through.

All I need to get now is the shift cable and I should be ready for this swap. :)
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

24digger wrote:Jim would it be possible to use existing column for the floor shift mod? I have bought a column for a floor shifter off ebay with radio controls, I was planning to swap the controls over to my column. I just hate to swap my good column for a used unknown column.

Could I just take off the shifter and use the column cover that came with the column? All I'll have to do is run the wire for the controls and swap the top piece on the column that wires run through.

All I need to get now is the shift cable and I should be ready for this swap. :)
The main part of the column is the same you can switch all the parts off one to the other or just some of the parts. I had to use the part that the lock cylinder goes into off my old column. The lock assembly and the solenoid for the shift interlock are all interchangable. The column shift uses a short cable the floor uses electronics. You will need to use the wiring harness from the floor shift column to make the interlock work. I'd say figure on a days work pulling both apart and switching them over. I know exactly what you mean about a strange column and not knowing what it's been through. i was lucky mine is good and sound :D

The column shift actually is more complicated than the floor system. In this pic you can see the mickey mouse linkage on the column. The black thing that looks like a thick wire on the left in the pic disappearing into the cover is the cable for the shift interlock, you know... it keeps you from removing the key unless it's in park.

Compare the next two photos look to the right top one has the black conector for the cable clipped in, the bottom one has the solenoid installed.

Best Regards, Jim
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

thanks for the pics I've looked at both columns and I think I can make it work.

We'll see what happens.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
S10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10 »

I got the last piece to my console swap. The wiring! The only thing is, that one side had to be cut off. Now I need to rewire that end and I don't know where the wires go. I just hope all of the shifters are the same, since the wiring is not the same year as my truck.
This is the wires that I have - light green, pink, yellow, black, and a dark green with a white strip. There are to others, but that is pretty clear what they are, since they are attached to the light bulb.

Thanks,
Don Z.
Jim

Post by Jim »

S10 wrote:I got the last piece to my console swap. The wiring! The only thing is, that one side had to be cut off. Now I need to rewire that end and I don't know where the wires go. I just hope all of the shifters are the same, since the wiring is not the same year as my truck.
This is the wires that I have - light green, pink, yellow, black, and a dark green with a white strip. There are to others, but that is pretty clear what they are, since they are attached to the light bulb.

Thanks,
Don Z.
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

f9k9 wrote:
Jim wrote:......... Then I guess I'll be finished :P .............
Sorry, Sir. I have to call BS! You are the "Poster child" for perfect visual mods! You aren't done and you have already began the implementation of others others.

I ain't going to go into mechanical ones but, I suspect you have more than one idea that you are exploring :wink:
OK you were right :!:
Interior is now done:
Floor shift & console
Bravada overhead console w/homelink
Bravada Seats
20001 Bravada Door Panels Front full and 1997 rear top section (just completed today)
The only difference in the panel style is the 97 has two rows of stitching. Color and grain are a perfect match...got lucky :D
Best Regards, Jim