This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Safari rack / basket

Post by HenryJ »

Coleman Safari Rack Powder-coated Steel Frame Basket
Costco Price $75 - Dimensions: 44" x 39" x 6.5" Standard shipping via UPS Ground is included in the quoted price.

Might be worth a shot at that price?
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

$204 plus $30 shipping from Coleman direct. That is a good deal. I wouldn't trust the way it is mounted on the XJ in the ad with it's stock rack but GM's racks are stronger and you can find good deals on ebay for name brand cross bars and mounts for it. $75 is almost like my binocular "find" :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Also Being It's From Costco If You Don't Like It You Can Return It To Any Of Their Stores.
That Way You Don't Have To Worry About Return Shipping.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

chet wrote:I have the exact rack. its made by http://www.sportrack.com they rebrand them for Coleman, Canadian tire etc.

Its a pretty good rack. It bolts together in two pieces which I thought would be weak but its been pretty good. They make an extension kit for it that lengthens it out.

for $75 its pretty good deal.
Sportrack basket

Installation.PDF

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bought one.

It arrived three days earlier than expected. It is just the right size and looks really good. The mounts work great with the Bravada rack. It is a slightly textured satin finish.
The bars appear to be about the thickness of conduit. The bars are tack welded, not welded all around.
I think it is plenty sturdy for a light weight basket. I would not be afraid to stack it with stuff to be tied down.

I am not a real fan of baskets. This one had a price that seemed really good. I think it was a good deal, we will see how it holds up.

It goes down the road quietly. No howling or vibration.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffee_junkie

Post by coffee_junkie »

I just ordered one. That is a sweet deal, does it come with mounting brackets? I have a yackima system so I figured I could rig up something. Thanks for the tip, it saved me $200 or from just living without a basket.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It does come with mounting brackets. They are designed to fit multiple ways. Rather nice actually.
I am pleased.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

BUMP

Well, hows it working after a month?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like it. It is sturdy and silent. I have not loaded it heavy. In fact I haven't tossed more than a bag and lawn chair up there so far.
Well worth the price.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

is there any room for a 235 75 15?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would say there is room for a 33 up there. With the little 29" 235 you will still have about 25% of the room left for other stuff.
It is not a huge rack, but a nice size.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

just want a place to stuff an extra tire. anyway to mount any lights on it??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are three tabs in the front to hold the fairing, but not really designed for lights. Clamps would be the better idea. Something like what I used on the winch mounted lights. I may add some small remotely controlled lights at some point since I have a spare remote and the power contacts up there already.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

I was looking at the gobi racks. My ultimate goal is to get one of the soft toppers with the optional external racks and put a gobi on there. that with some 31 10.5's 2"bl and It will be done....till I get bored again
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is a shot with the basket on-

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Funny how three years will give one a certain intuition of an upcoming Mod!Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It was kind of handy to toss the transom saver , straps and bungie up there.
I thought it would make it easier to see from a distance, but it is painted that darn disappearing black (semi gloss black) It is easier to pick out the triple bow Bravada rack or the spare tire. The rack blends too well.
The box will go on for trips, but this may stay on the rest of the time.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Image I like!
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

f9k9 wrote:Image I like!
ditto

Gonna see if Wallyworld has one as well
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Anybody check the price on the Costco basket lately?

It has dropped to $60 shipped!
If you were on the ropes, that is very hard if not impossible to beat!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Link?

In the first post-HJ
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

How durable is it?

Is the thing going to grenade with a spare tire in it while offroading?
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I don't like my 33" spare up in mine with the wgt of my lights, jack and shovel. I guess my trails here are a little to off camber to suit me or I am just a wussy :lol:
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Well, I'm only running 30" tires... But I don't have a full-size spare...

Evil evil donut on the inside! :lol:

I know Trucker Mike on ZR2USA blew up one of his racks 4x4ing in the snow....
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

drperry wrote:Well, I'm only running 30" tires... But I don't have a full-size spare....
There's a weight difference for sure. My tires are 20 ibs heavier that stock tires, let alone a space saver. The steel wheels should weigh more, as well. Shame that you aren't closer. I have my full size spare taking up room around here.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Well, I've got some older 4x4 S10 rims that I plan on putting a spare on... I just gotta mount it outside first :D
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I was able to snatch up a brand new used takeoff 30" tire for $40 bucks the other day. I still had the 235/75 spare that was well worn under the truck. I went to get my BFG ATs rotated and I asked for a quote on the cheapest 30" for a spare. Guy goes to look and says he has a takeoff from a Heep for 40. I took it.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Anyone who did not order one can not get one now. The deal is gone. I don't know if they figured out the mistake and how much they were losing, or if inventory is exhausted. They are no longer available.
Glad I got mine :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK