towing a 3500lb camaro

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Batass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

towing a 3500lb camaro

Post by Batass »

I want to tow my drag car to the strip. The car weighs 3500 plus the weight of a trailer, I towed another s10 with an extra 500 lbs in it and it sucked!!!!
Pushed the truck all over the place, and the tranny was mushy. The truck does need new shocks, I imagine thats a large part of it, any suggestions to make an hour tow better?
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I tow my boat thats ~4k lbs fully loaded quite a bit. Truck does OK, but not great. I've towed my Xtreme on a trailer behind the ZR5 as well, and it wasn't happy with that. It did OK, but not great.

I've found I'm doing enough towing this summer, I'm considering a fullsize seriously. If this is going to be a common occurance I would encourage the same. The CC will do it, but not nearly as well as a fullsize.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm looking at a separate towing rig altogether. I plan on keeping my school bus but, driving 100 miles one way to a trail head in my heep and worrying about breaking and getting home pretty much ruined my trail ride mentally. That was my last ride like that until I come across a good deal on a tow rig.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Taylorized
Regular
Regular

Post by Taylorized »

I have 04 CC and I tow a 6x12 Cargo trailer with a my Harley and all the gear. The best thing to help the towing is to have trailer brakes. The take off and the swaying is what it is but if you can stop your load it just makes you feel good. You might try sway bars to help also.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: towing a 3500lb camaro

Post by killian96ss »

Batass wrote:I want to tow my drag car to the strip.
I don't have any tips for towing, but I would like to see a pic of your Camaro. 8) :pray: :wink:

Steve
Batass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Batass »

Well I'll take a pic tomorrow, I'm also getting my new 700hp engine for it tomorrow. Brakes on a trailer will help when braking, I want to make the truck feel more stable. I was just thinking today about getting a fullsize, but I like this truck, if it was just a little better it'd be perfect.
What pushes the truck from side to side? Is it the tires flexing, a weak track bar? Frame?
The motor's ok, if it had just a bit lower gears, it would be good. But I like getting good gas mileage on the highway.
Or if the motor just had a bit more low end torque.
I'm not sure how I'm going to yet, but I'm definitely firming up the shifts.
20Blazer00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 20Blazer00 »

Swaying is a by-product of soft suspension components. I would recomend looking into overloads for the rear, either the Boise Spring Works kit, "Load Leveler" shocks from Monroe (coil over design) or even air shocks... If you don't have one install a rear sway bar... Also look into an upgraded trailer hitch (weight distribution) with sway controls....
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Take a look at these while your at it. I have them on my truck and with the addition of the rear anti-sway bar the truck is very stable and handles well with heavy loads and cross winds and really helps cornering.
Roadmaster Active Suspension along with weight distributing hitch I thing this could help you out but you do need to remember you will be towing a weight approximately the maximum for the truck so things are undoubtedly going to be a bit rough no matter what you do.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

If you like the ride, but want sway control......get a weight distributing hitch. That will reduce most if not all of the swaying, as well as level the truck back out from the tongue weight. Easily worth the $200-$300 to get setup completely with one. Do a google search, and you'll find a ton of good info on them.

Helper bags or some sort of active suspension will help as well like mentioned above.

Keep in mind that your trucks only rated for 5200lbs of trailer weight (With the right options), and 500lbs of tongue weight. I would also investigate your GVWR to make sure your entire setup doesn't exceed that.

Like I said I had my 3200lb Xtreme on a 1,200lb trailer, and it was about all the crew could handle. Definitely NOT something I would want to be doing all the time.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I do quite a bit of towing with a camper of about 3500 pounds. I put air shocks on to help with braking and a sagging rear end. I don't think they really reduce sway though. I would recommend towing in 3rd and what really made a difference in reducing sway was installing a friction anti-sway device. Inexpensive and SO worth it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/swaycontrolbydrawtite.html
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

If you're looking to reduce sway and you have air shocks, install a valve to seperate the shocks, otherwise, as one compresses, it pushes the other one out more... and induces more sway.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]