painted rotors today

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

painted rotors today

Post by ace »

I was tired of looking at my rusted rotors with the nice looking zr5 wheels. A can of caliper paint, some tape, a wire brush and some time and this mod is a nice way to spend an hour. Before and after photos:

Where the pads touch the rotors the rust comes right off after one stop but where they don't touch is where the problem is.

[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Are you going to paint the calipers to match? :?

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I was thinking about it but the scheme on the zr5 wheels is silver and black so I left them as is for now. The caliper doesn't show that much either with the zr5 wheels. I know on some wheels the caliper shows through a lot so I would if that was the case. I guess my idea on this mod was to keep the focus on the wheels rather than the rusty rotors. The silver matched the spacers on the rear too.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I don't think any type of paint should be on the mating surface where the wheel bolts on. As the surface fails the wheel will come loose.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I do know that rust on the mating surface can cause a wheel to fall off.
Last edited by ace on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think they look good. As long as the coating is not too thick you should not have problems. The torque applied to the wheels should crush the surface coating and retain the wheel just fine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

You used caliper paint so there will be no problem, because it was designed for the temp that the brakes will produce. If you had used normal silver paint it would just start flaking off and make a mess.
When I was a teenager I did all kinds of cheap mods so I have learned from my mistakes.

:shock: When I bought my first car (86' mercury capri) I could not afford much and my tires had a little curb rash from the previous owner so I spray painted them with black paint to make them look better. Probally not the best idea, actually it was pretty dumb because every 100 miles I had to re-apply it to keep it from flaking off. :lol: