HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Hood lift struts

Post by HenryJ »

Hood QuickLIFT & QuickLIFT ELITE System -
Designed For:
1994-2004 Chevy S-10 Truck Quicklift $69.95
Redline Tuning wrote:Replace the stock hood prop rod with the hood QuickLIFT from Redline Tuning. Such a nice series of trucks need what was missing from the factory... gas charged springs instead of the dreaded prop rod. Our QuickLIFT will eliminate the need for the prop rod altogether... Made from the highest quality components, including: custom black e-coated gas springs (or ELITE series 316L stainless steel gas springs) high strength multi-grip high adhesion rivets to attach all the brackets, and a full color installation manual.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That seems to be really sweet but, I can do a lot of hood propping for $70 :wink: It's all a matter of priorities.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:That seems to be really sweet but, I can do a lot of hood propping for $70 :wink: It's all a matter of priorities.
Agreed.
I am not sure the added weight is a benefit in my case , as well as the rockets they become in an engine fire situation.
I would also question their effectiveness in cold weather, or windy conditions.
Stout enough to with stand weather extremes and wind, they may work the mounts hard enough to break loose the mounting or even destroy the sheet metal.

Jeremy (miles) has more experience with this type set-up and may have more answers should we need them.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Being somewhat of a big guy. I think the struts would be great. I don't know how many times I have nearly knocked that dumb prop rod out and had the hood drop on me while working under there. Something similar was brought up long ago and except for a lack of funds right now it has been high on my wish list.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

From what I am seeing, nothing in this install says you can't leave the factory prop in place... That being said, If the wind is high enough to be a concern, I wouldn't want to be under the hood of any vehicle regardless of the prop...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Being somewhat of a big guy.............
Breaking wheel studs with a 3/8" stubby ratchet comes to mind :lol:
WileyHunter wrote:.............That being said, If the wind is high enough to be a concern, I wouldn't want to be under the hood of any vehicle regardless of the prop...
Sometimes there is no choice to make when broke down on a trail or on a trip when loved ones are needing heat or cover.

I replaced my XJ's struts (with quality ones) recently and in cold weather half way up is all they will do. Takes more effort to raise it all the way up than it would be to raise it and prop it with a 2X4 :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

f9k9 wrote:
04crewvt wrote:Being somewhat of a big guy.............
Breaking wheel studs with a 3/8" stubby ratchet comes to mind :lol:
WileyHunter wrote:.............That being said, If the wind is high enough to be a concern, I wouldn't want to be under the hood of any vehicle regardless of the prop...
Sometimes there is no choice to make when broke down on a trail or on a trip when loved ones are needing heat or cover.

I replaced my XJ's struts (with quality ones) recently and in cold weather half way up is all they will do. Takes more effort to raise it all the way up than it would be to raise it and prop it with a 2X4 :!:
How did I guess you would call me on my understatement :lol:
As for wind I have had 2 Chevy Citations with struts on the hatchbacks and until they gave up from age I never had to worry about the hatch closing in wind and they worked all the way down to -50F and those hatches were at least as heavy as our hoods. It would seem how they are mounted would be the weak point if wind was a factor, as long as the metal can hold it I wouldn't foresee a problem in normal weather conditions.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]