Free flow stock mufflers???

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Free flow stock mufflers???

Post by Rockrz »

I'd rather keep my muffler stock sounding since I've never liked the way turbo or performance mufflers sound on V6 engines.

So, does anyone know of a GM vehicle that comes with a performance V6 that has a large stock muffler?

I was looking at the late model Saturn Vue muffler as it's pretty big to keep the sound down like a stock sounding muffler. They have an available 3.6 DOHC V6 engine that's probably alot more horses than the 4.3L S10 engine so it's bound to be a good free flowing muffler.

Seems like it would be quiet and yet free flowing, at least better than what came on the S10 from the factory.

Does anyone think it would be a problem using the mffler off of this vehicle if I went to the dealer and asked for the one that comes on the highest HP version?
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Nobody thinks this is a good or bad idea?

I just want a muffler that is as quiet as stock, but is also a free flowing muffler that has as little back pressure as possible for best performance.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think you will pay more for a stock muffler and get less.
If quiet is what you seek, you have that. Free flowing means the sound can get out too. Aftermarket designs can minimize that.
I am sure you may be able to find a used muffler that will out perform the stock muffler. I can't say I know of any myself since I really haven't been looking.
If this is what you want, I would suggest looking for that little shop around town that saves a few of the stock mufflers when they upgrade a diesel rig, or a fullsize. They may have some suggestions on what just might work for what they have on hand.
I don't think we have one of those guys here.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I'm not sure I follow. Are you thinking I should experiment with used mufflers to see if I can find something that works for me?

What I was thinking was, surely there's a few factory mufflers that flow pretty free on vehicles that have high output engines from the factory.

That's why I was thinking of the muffler from the Saturn Vue with the 3.6 DOHC V6 engine

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they would put a free flowing muffler on this vehicle since this is the most power ful engine they offer for this model.

It ought to at least flow better than what comes on an S10 from the factory, right?
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It might work, but I would hate to see what one costs. I am only suggesting that your local muffler guru may know what might be a better muffler, and have one at an affordable price to try.
Stock mufflers can be very expensive when compared to their aftermarket replacements.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

From a layman's point of view. If, you want stock sound, then use stock exhaust. Our exhausts go from 3" to 2.25" IIRC after the cat. Ours is 3" in to the Cat. IIRC. Open it up a little and get a 3" cat back system and it will compliment any intake mods you have done, like a drop in K&N filter. Chose a free flowing muffler of your choice. Entire system can come away nicely for under $200 dollars. Or you can go all out and spend 4-500 bux for an after market dual system if, that is the sound you desire. It is all what you would like to have.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, I'd have to look pretty hard for a performance exhaust shop that knew what they were talking about.

I wouldn't think the muffler itself would cost more than $100, maybe $150.
My truck is used mostly for business use, so it's a tax write off :D which means I'm paying less than what it sells for in the long run.

Plus, it's bound to be good quality materials so it ought to last a long time.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have any streetrodders around there? Ask them who knows exhaust. Then drop by for a chat and pick their brains.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

f9k9 wrote:From a layman's point of view. If, you want stock sound, then use stock exhaust. Our exhausts go from 3" to 2.25" IIRC after the cat. Ours is 3" in to the Cat. IIRC. Open it up a little and get a 3" cat back system and it will compliment any intake mods you have done, like a drop in K&N filter. Chose a free flowing muffler of your choice. Entire system can come away nicely for under $200 dollars. Or you can go all out and spend 4-500 bux for an after market dual system if, that is the sound you desire. It is all what you would like to have.
Yep, I'll probably just do cat back with a performace cat
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ wrote:Do you have any streetrodders around there? Ask them who knows exhaust. Then drop by for a chat and pick their brains.
I think I'd rather talk to some companies that design and build mufflers and exhaust systems.

They're going to know alot more about this than anyone else, I would think when you consider the manufacturers employ scientists to help them design and test.

Those are the guys I'd like to pick there brains.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I thought you were looking for stock mufflers?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I've never been able to find (so far) an aftermarket muffler that is as quiet as stock that is free flowing.

I've never liked turbo, or performance mufflers on V6 engines so I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible.

So, I figured a vehicle like the Saturn Vue with the performance V6 should have a free flowing muffler that is quiet.

What I'd like to accomplish is the sound of a stock muffler, and the free flow of a performance muffler for better HP.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. Not so easily done. As this has been shared to you already:
HenryJ wrote:If quiet is what you seek, you have that. Free flowing means the sound can get out too.
You could go for an aftermarket muffler. They aren't always that loud. My truck just sounds like it has a v8 with the muffler I put on it. It was one of the first mods I did along with my k&n fipk2. So if you want stock sound maybe go for the stock sound of a v8 full size by adding an aftermarket muffler. It won't sound like a v6 anymore but a v8 which most people won't know the difference anyways. It made a big difference doing those two mods to my truck IMO. Sounds like a v8 and the hp is increased. Two birds with one stone.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, I think my best bet is to go with the muffler off of the Saturn Vue with the performance V6 because I would think that muffler has less back pressure than the stock S10 muffler.

That way, I can have a little better performance and still keep my exhaust quiet at the same time.

I don't want to buy an aftermarket muffler that is advertised by it's manufacturer as being quiet, and then find out it's not after I install it...which is why I was looking at OE mufflers in the first place. Thanks.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

I'll say go for Magnaflow, get a 5"X11"X22" oval case muffler, if there's that much room. That's plenty of sound suppression and as free flowing as you can get.

I just replaced my stock muffler on my silverado ( 5.3L V8 ) with that style and when idle or cruising down the road it sounds exactly the same as the stock unit. The only time you notice a difference is when you really get on it.

All magnaflow's are stainless steel. Some are polished, some are not.....but, who's going to see it??? Save yourself some money and don't get the polished finish

I figure if it can keep my truck quiet, it shouldn't have a problem keeping the noise down on your rig.

Check them out. I can't remember the dimensions or what the inlet/outlet locations are on the stock s-10 muffler, but find one close to what you have and just have a local shop cut out your muffler and weld in the new one.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

bwenny247 wrote:I'll say go for Magnaflow, get a 5"X11"X22" oval case muffler, if there's that much room.
OK, so there's some news I can use...

My stock muffler is 30 inches long, 12 inches wide, and not that thick....so I could stand that length and width but I wouldn't be able to use an oval.

I might just try this one if you're saying it's quiet as your original.
Thanks for the info.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Flowmaster 50 series Big Block and 70 series Big Block II mufflers are very quiet.

I had the 50 series Big Block mufflers on my 68 Impala with a 400+ hp small block and it was as quiet as a stock S10. :wink:

Steve
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

a better flowing muffler doesent automatically have to be louder.
i have a used 5.3L silverado muffler in good condition, that i still plan to install on my Sonoma. its considerably thicker than the original, but it should still fit.

as an alternative, the Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo mufflers are definetly quieter than the regular turbo mufflers. the are about the same diementions as the factory S-series V6 mufflers...
this muffler would probably sound about the same as the stock muffler.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

The muffler that came off my Blazer looked exactly like the muffler that was on my parents' 1993 Suburban... Same size, too... Only difference was pipe size.
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

old post, but i finally got a exhaust clip of my truck.
22" magnaflow, 5X11 oval case, nice aggressive when my right foot wants it to be :wink:

[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I was just reading thru the latest "Truckin" magazine and noticed an ad for the Flowmaster Delta Flow muffler.

Anybody here ever tried this one?

The ad says "Multiple internal baffles, more power with reduced sound levels than original Flowmasters" and they offer a two and a three chamber version of this muffler.

Wouldn't a 3 chamber be more quiet that a 2 chamber?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am running a copy. Same muffler with out the label. I have recommended delta flow for quite a while now. Delta is the shape of the baffles. This bounces the sound around more than parallel baffles with less flow restriction.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

So, how would you rate the sound versus the stock muffler?

Is it any louder?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:So, how would you rate the sound versus the stock muffler?

Is it any louder?
Image You're kidding, right?
Uh, yes it is louder ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

OK, then I don't want to use that muffler then.
I want a stock sound, but free flowing as possible.

I think I'm going to stick with my original idea of using the muffler off of the Saturn Vue which is about as big as the astock S10 muffler.

This vehicle has an optional high output V6 so I need to find out from the dealer if this engine option comes with a different stock muffler than what would come with their standard V6
Jim

Post by Jim »

Rockrz wrote:OK, then I don't want to use that muffler then.
I want a stock sound, but free flowing as possible.

I think I'm going to stick with my original idea of using the muffler off of the Saturn Vue which is about as big as the astock S10 muffler.

This vehicle has an optional high output V6 so I need to find out from the dealer if this engine option comes with a different stock muffler than what would come with their standard V6
Why would the Vue muffler from a smaller sized V6 be less restrictive than ours? Have you cut one open? If it's less restrictive it may be louder than our stock muffler, note it's transverse mounted with a short tailpipe. Maybe you should go fo a muffler the same size as ours but has a bigger motor in front of it.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Jim wrote:Maybe you should go fo a muffler the same size as ours but has a bigger motor in front of it
That's funny, cause I was just thinking about that!

It makes better since to go with a stock muffler from a vehicle that at least has a 5.7L versus a V6 since the V8 muffler is bound to be a little more free flowing

...one would think.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

I'll echo my previous post.

find the biggest magnaflow muffler that you can fit. they're straight through, you can't get much more free flowing than that. the internal packing keeps the noise down to a stock, or nearly stock, level.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I'll just go with the actual stock muffler from a truck with a V8 and it should be fairly free flowing while also being quiet.

I've come to the conclusion that quiet is only available from stock mufflers.
will1551
Regular
Regular

Post by will1551 »

Im running duels with blown out glasspacks and the noise isnt all that noticeable when cruiseing w/ the windows up, but then again i did run my truck for about 8 months with my muffler hacked off and a piece of flexy pipe bent out in front of the front leafspring mount lol. Maybe im just diffrent but i dont see what the big deal is if your truck is slightly louder than stock? I mean its not like your even going to notice the difference in the cab anyway because from my experience magna flows are VERY quiet (which is why us highschool kids hate them lol).
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

will1551 wrote:i dont see what the big deal is if your truck is slightly louder than stock?
It's just personal preference. For years I drove full size Chevy trucks with V8s running duals with either glass packs, or turbo mufflers.

I'm just past that point in life where I like loud exhaust.
will1551
Regular
Regular

Post by will1551 »

Quite understandable, but it just seems it would be easier to get a free flowing aftermarket muffler thats only slightly louder than stock instead of trial and error experimentation with various stock mufflers. But hey difference of opinions is what makes the world go round.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

will1551 wrote:it just seems it would be easier to get a free flowing aftermarket muffler thats only slightly louder than stock.
That would be trial and error as I've never heard of any aftermarket mufflers that didn't sound like turbo mufflers which aren't what I want due to being too loud.

If I go with a stock muffler, I know it will be quite.

So, I'll probably get a stock muffler that goes on a late model full size V8 pickup and that ought to be somewhat free flowing and pretty quite at the same time.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I'm seconding Bwenny's post. Magnaflow mufllers are really straight through mufflers and without any baffles but their sound is smooth and not loud. I don't see the purpose of seeking out a stock muffler from another vehicle. If you want some performance additive then you just can't go stock.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

ace wrote:If you want some performance additive then you just can't go stock.
I would choose quiet over better performance since apparently I have to choose between the two.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

so, this thread has been going on for 8 months....have you decided what you're doing yet?
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, now that I have my new 2003 S10, I think the only thing I might do is do a larger Y pipe, and leave the rest stock.

That is IF I can find an exhaust shop that does good work.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:... I think the only thing I might do is do a larger Y pipe...
Why? We already have a 1.9" Y pipe

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, if going any bigger wouldn't do anything for me then I'll probably blow that off and save my money for something else
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The restrictions, are mostly cat back. The biggest being the stock muffler.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yep, but I'm not willing to give up my stock muffler because I'd rather have it quiet.

Anything other than the stock muffler is going to be louder than what I want, so I'll just keep that stock and it'll run good enough like that.

It's already proving to get about 2 more miles per gallon than my '96 S10 and I've not done anything to it yet, so I'm pretty happy with it.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rockrz wrote:Yep, but I'm not willing to give up my stock muffler because I'd rather have it quiet........
Sounds like the "Case is Closed" then :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yeah, I guess I'm getting so old that I'd rather have quiet than loud.

I used to love running glass packs (on v8 engines only) and even blowing them out so they'd be even louder. Made it hard to come home after curfew (12am) when I was a kid cause I would wake my dad up with the loud exhaust

I think a big part of the reason I'd rather have it quiet is because I've never liked the way V6 engines sound with loud mufflers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You don't have to install a blown out glass pack to improve the flow. Personally I like to be able to hear the engine a little. I don't want to have to talk over it with the windows up traveling the highway though.
There is a happy compromise. Muffler design has come a long way. Breaking the sound can be done with angles rather than the restriction of plates and holes. Pipe size can play a part as does length and tips. My truck does not need loud exhaust. I have blown HenryJ for that fix.
The Delta flow muffler I installed in conjunction with 3" pipe and a resonator (glass packed) tip, works well for me. Nice low rumble.
I think it was a little more than our senior discounted member expected, but he is now a believer.
If you are happy with it as is, just cut off that ridiculous exhaust tip and add a nicer one. Call that good.
The cat back does have room for improvement. It is a big bang for the buck. I picked up some lost low end, (Yes, I did say low end) after the install. It doesn't make sense, as it should only be gains in the top end, but that is what happened, and I am not trying to figure it out. Whatever it takes to make the system work well together.

Drop by Moab for your Columbus Day week and listen to a couple crew cabs. I think you would seriously change your mind.

That being said, staying stock is not bad. We have a very sturdy expensive system. Stainless will out last the exhaust I installed. If you are happy, leave it alone. Find something else to mess with. Fly a kite or sumthin'.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

On my '96 S10, as an experiment, I did install a Hooker Headers turbo muffler that claimed to be quiet as well as free flowing due to inner construction with angles rather than the restriction of plates and holes.

It was supposed to have been the best of both worlds, but it's too loud for me. I didn't like it, as it sounds like any other turbo muffler. I can't keep buying mufflers to try as that gets expensive quick and I'm pretty sure they're all going to be louder than what I want on a V6 engine.

Now, I have thought of having a new tailpipe install mainly for cosmetic reasons as I don't like how the stock tail pipe comes down and bends out the right side under the right rear fender.

I'd like to have the hidden, and at the end just have it bent downward but up above the lower part of the raer fender where you can't see it. I'd like to do that just to make it look cleaner and while I'm at it, I'll make sure they use about a 2.5 inch pipe since bigger ought to be 1 / 500th +/- better than the stock tail pipe.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Throwing headers, bigger pipe and no cats is going to make any of them louder by a long way. Just the headers will increase interior sound levels quite a bit. Like I said, give ours a listen if you ever get the chance. Don't let your one mistake sour you on the possibilities. There are many choices out there. Not all free flowing muffler are the same.

I'd leave the tailpipe alone unless you plan to replace it with stainless steel.
We already have 2.25" tailpipe and I see no gain in adding from the muffler back. It might alter the tone a little, but you can not hear the exhaust with the stock muffler anyway, so no gain.
Cut the end off, add a nice tip and be happy. Don't hide it up too high and trap exhaust under the truck. You will have an exhaust dirtied tailgate and body panels.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Jeez Rockr. Ya been rattlin about this muffler thing since christmas last year. BUY ONE ALREADY and be done with it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...........I think it was a little more than our senior discounted member expected, but he is now a believer............
Whoa, Hoss! Am opening myself up here for a few jabs but, I don't recall every thinking that it was too loud. It was throatier and pleasingly different. :wink: It got a lot of positive comments at the Hot Springs, AR ZR2 meet last year. Even the full blown off-road only S-10s where not loud (BTW, just to cut you off at the pass, we have to pass a very stringent hearing test each year for work). I think S10Forum.com has some sound clips of various exhaust setups, check them out.
There is not an exhaust that will give you better performance and have the same sound as the OEM set up.
You're searching for the elusive Unicorn :wink:
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I'll have to get a sound clip up of the Z with the headers and gibson catback and the crewcab with flowmaster 40 only with stock piping including tailpipe.

I think the crewcab is louder than the Z.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]