hydrolock intake

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hydrolock intake

Post by mudtaxi »

ok this is the second time i have hydrolock my truck has anyone else had a problem with the stock intake location or does anyone have any ideas as to how and if it

Edited title-HJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: intake

Post by F9K9 »

Hydrolocked as water into the cylinders?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is harder to hydrolock using a paper element. The cotton gauze elements flow water pretty easily.
With the stock horn and intake box, a hydrolock would require a considerable amount of water to flood the box. The best thing would be to avoid getting in that deep.
Drilling a larger drain hole in the bottom of the box might be something to consider. I have seen an intake check valve somewhere, but have no idea how well that would work. If you are in deep enough to need the check valve, killing the engine is not really what you want either , I guess.
I do not know of a snorkel right now. It may be possible to construct on that enters the cowl, but likely it would be a hack job.
The best choice may be a different vehicle if you really need a functional snorkel for deep water.
I don't know how "deep" you want to go into this. It is possible for the engine to run with the MAFS disconnected. A pipe could be attached and run to bypass the stock air box. I know of one case where a guy mounted the MAFS to the top of the TB. I guess I am saying that it may be possible to create something. Do I think it would be good. Not really. I have looked this over seriously several times and I am at a loss for a good solution.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

this is about how deep the water was i didnt just hit it like this i made a wake first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pt02s4T2DA
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A little slower would have been better. You outran the wake.
Are you sure you were "hydrolocked"? That is when the engine aspirates enough water that the pistons fill. Water does not compress and therefore the engine becomes locked. Piston, rod, and crankshaft damage can be involved in severe cases. To get it to run again involves removing all the sparkplugs and draining the water.

Is it possible you could have just received enough water to kill it electronically?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

i pulled all the plugs and turned it over there was alittle water in the cylinders and the plugs had water on them and i was wondering too if it could have got water in the cap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If the engine would turn over prior to removing the plugs, it was not hydrolocked. More than likely you got things really wet and it died.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

it wasnt as bad as it was the first time i did it that first time it sparyed water out like a fountain
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That sounds more like a hydrolock. I have had them look like someone put a rainbird sprinkler under the hood.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Yeah, that's not really enough water to warrant a snorkle. Like Brule said, enter a bit slower, and follow the wake. My last blazer (with an AEM intake), went through this with no problems:

[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

An old mudbogger's trick is to use cheap hairspray to seal ignition components. Spray down the cap, wires, coil, ignition module and anywhere else you think water might intrude and cause an electrical problem.
I would suggest buying your own cheap hairspray. Don't get caught with the high priced stuff from the bathroom , in the garage.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

oh yeah i forgot to mention that the intake box was completely full of water
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

hey jigg have you done any relocating of your trans vent