Inline Trans Filters???

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Inline Trans Filters???

Post by Rockrz »

Has anyone tried an inline transmission fluid filter where you install a spin on filter like you would use for an oil filter?

I was just curious as it would make servicing the tranny very easy if you installed a pan with a drain plug, and had an inline spin on filter. Plus, this type of filter probably keep the tranny fluid cleaner too.

I wonder if removing the filter media from the original tranny filer inside the pan would hurt anything...since it wouldn't be needed any more for filtering purposes.

Anybody know if this would hurt anything???
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The inline trans filters need to be used with the stock filter.

The stock filter should not be modified in any way.

Basically the inline filters are used to help remove smaller particles that the stock filter lets through. :wink:

Steve
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

killian96ss wrote:The stock filter should not be modified in any way.
Steve
Why would it hurt to remove the filter media from the stock filter since it' wouldn't be needed anymore?

I've heard of people doing this with no problems, which was why I was asking if anyone here had tried this when installing an inline tranny filter
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:Why would it hurt to remove the filter media from the stock filter since it' wouldn't be needed anymore?
I've heard of people doing this with no problems, which was why I was asking if anyone here had tried this when installing an inline tranny filter
In our case the filter is the pickup up tube assembly as well as the filter. To draw fluid from the bottom of the pan during times where the vehicle is not level this would be critical. The filter media is enclosed in the plastic housing and would be very difficult to remove.
What would be gained by removing the transmission filter media? Nothing. If the fluid is to the point of restriction, removing the filter media is not the right answer to increasing flow. If an inline filter causes enough restriction to impeded the flow to the point of needing to remove the internal filter, you have created a problem with the inline filter that needs to be corrected. There are filters that will properly flow enough volume.

Advantages to an additional filter: Ease of changing filter, additional filtering capacity, ability to alter filtering quality, additional fluid capacity and perhaps some additional cooling.

Disadvantages: More potential leaks, possibility of filter failure, potential for decreased pressure, difficulty of placement and installation.

I may need to clarify the disadvantages a little. Leaks and filter failures are easy. They may or may not happen. The potential for decreased pressure may be a little bit of a reach. Depending upon the placement and whether there is s check valve. The filter will act as a little balloon and take time to fill from a cold start. This delay in circulation may have an effect.
Difficult to install and perhaps maintain. Things are tight. Where would you put in that will be cool and easy to change? I can not think of a place off the top of my head. Keep in mind that you do not want to use lots of flexible line, or add lots more line to the system if possible.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ wrote:What would be gained by removing the transmission filter media?
The idea behind using an inline filter is to never have to drop the tranny pan again, since I would be installing a pan that has a drain plug. ( like the one at: http://www.mys10truck.com/96/tpan.html )

So, If I'm installing an inline transmission filter ( like the one at: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku ) then I won't need to rely on the media inside the plastic pickup unit inside the tranny pan.

I guess a fella could put in a clean filter when he puts on his custom tranny pan and then never change it again, relying on the better quality inline filter to keep the fluid clean.

I'm not concerned about leaks because I do good work! Besides, I could rig up all metal lines and mount the assembly a little behind the transmission where there's plenty of room on my truck...and of course install a sheild...or, for that matter a fella could relocate his battery out from under the hood and mount the inline filter there tying into the metal lines coming out of the raditator
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:The idea behind using an inline filter is to never have to drop the tranny pan again... not concerned about leaks because I do good work!
Dropping the pan reveals debris in the bottom of the pan. The filter in the pan is your first line of defense for this debris. An additional filter is not a bad idea, but why would you remove the protection for the pump that is moving the fluid? Again. No gains so why do it?
Leave a clean filter in place. I think once you look at the filter you will understand why removal of the media would be very difficult for our filter. Not a good idea.
As to leaks. I was not intending to imply that you would not do a good job. You will be adding areas of potential though. believe me that those filter kits can an will leak. I would suggest using the bracket, which can be purchased locally on its own cheaper, and build you own hard lines.
Be sure to shield the filter under the truck well. The smaller filters that these use do not have a heavy shell like some hydraulic filters can. These are the same as some oil filters. They can be easily punctured. I would skip the pan drain too. Just one more place to hang up since it is not protected, and another place to leak.
If you mount the filter where the battery "was" where is all the oil going to drip / drain when you change the filter?
It will make a big mess over time. The first gen s-series ran into this problem with the engine oil filters that were mounted to the core support.

This is quite a bit of that for nothing , IMO.

It seems simple to me. What is the benefit? Never removing the pan filter? Inspecting the pan is part of the process of judging the transmission condition.
What cost and what risk is there for this modification? Is it really worth doing? The transmission is serviced every 30k-50k. That is every couple years for most. How long are you going to own your truck? If you are hard core you may only need to change the filter 4-5 times during your ownership. If it is such a PITA, have someone else do it and watch them closely.

If you were racing, or pulling hard all the time, I would have a different answer. For a light truck, I would not waste my time or money unless I was really bored and just had to have one more mod.

I can be wrong. Convince me if you have better reasons for doing this.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ wrote:why would you remove the protection for the pump that is moving the fluid? Again. No gains so why do it?
With the inline filter doing a much better job at keeping the fluid clean, there wouldn't be any need for the media in the original filter. All you'd need is the pickup apparatus part of it.

Obviously, if it's a PTA to modify the tranny filter in the pan I'd probably leave it in place.
HenryJ wrote:Convince me if you have better reasons for doing this
Because it would provide far superior filtering of the tranny fluid. Cleaner is always better.

If I were really serious about doing this, I think I would use metal lines and mount the whole assembly in the front right corner where my batter currently is, which is right next to were the metal tranny lines (inlet and outlet) go into the radiator making this the perfect place to set all this up at
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Cleaner is better, but that filter needs to stay in there.

Ever seen an oil pickup without a screen? There's a reason for that despite the remote filtering in the oil system.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, I've heard of people doing this when installing an inline filter and they didn't experience any performance problems.

The reason they did that is because they planned on never dropping the tranny pan again and didn't want that filter to get clogged at some point in the future...if that were possible considering the inline filter should keep the fluid clean and free of debris

I guess it could always be tried and put back how it was if it didn't work.

On the other hand, after looking at the stock filter I think it's too much trouble to remove the filter media anyway so I seriously doubt I would try to remove it.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The factory filter needs to be there to catch clutch plate debris and metal shavings that drain down from above.

Hydraulic pumps are sensitive to contamination.

This is why there is usually a filter before the pump on most hydraulic systems.

The inline filter will only catch debris after it has left the pump so you really need the stock filter to protect the pump.

As I said earlier, inline filters are only for additional filtering.

They are not meant to replace the factory filter set up. :wink:

Removal of the factory filter media is a bad idea IMO. :nono:

Steve
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

killian96ss wrote:Removal of the factory filter media is a bad idea IMO
Not to mention being too much trouble to do anyhow...
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

"With the inline filter doing a much better job at keeping the fluid clean, there wouldn't be any need for the media in the original filter. All you'd need is the pickup apparatus part of it."

As a former tranny doctor my well considered professional advice is DON'T DO IT!!! :nono: The best first reason not to remove the in-pan filter: it is your FIRST line of defense. I have worked on trannys where well-meaning DIYers have done this before and I can attest the end result is trans damages in the thousands :cry: compared to hundreds in internal part damage if the original filter is removed. You can filter the fluid additionally if you like but there is no substitute for that initial filter in the pan preventing pickup of clutch/bushing/bearing debris. IMO the only real additional filter that should be considered is an in-line magnetic type. I haven't bought one in quite a while but NAPA used to carry them. Their only real advantage was in removal of magnetic small particles which can plug up the tiny servo holes etc in the newer electronic valve bodies. If you want additional capacity and or cooling I suggest adding a cooler in front of the radiator. I was pulling a trailer from time to time when I first bought my crew and put on the largest one I could buy. Cooler is better! 8) If you don't beleive it do a little research into how fast the lubricating life of trans fluid degrades and disappears as temp goes up. :shock: You'll be surprised how quick it turns to so much usless liquid.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.