This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Throttle Blade, spacers and other intake mods talk

Post by green02crew »

Split topic-HJ

Is there a writeup anywhere on replacing the throttle blade? Just so I can see maybe some pictures on how its done or something? Sorta vague right now...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

green02crew wrote:Is there a writeup anywhere on replacing the throttle blade? Just so I can see maybe some pictures on how its done or something? Sorta vague right now...
Not sure where the pics are but if you just type in diffuser or throttle plate in the search function you'll find a wealth of info on this mod. I plan on buying the replacement plate from CFM Technologies and the throttle body spacer (Helix Power Tower) from www.RPM outlet.com because I like the design I see there. JMO

Maybe Brule will take pity on us and lend you a link to where the pics are on the plate mod.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

green02crew wrote:Is there a writeup anywhere on replacing the throttle blade? Just so I can see maybe some pictures on how its done or something? Sorta vague right now...
I'm not sure anyone hase ever done a write up with pictures for replacing or modifying the throttle blade restrictor (aka diffuser).

Do you plan on buying one from CFM Tech or just modifying the one you currently have on your truck?

You will get the same results modifying your own blade, and it's free. :D

The only downside to modifying your own is not being able to return to stock unless you buy another blade.

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

roadrunner wrote:I plan on buying the throttle body spacer (Helix Power Tower) from www.RPM outlet.com because I like the design I see there. JMO
You would be better off getting a smooth bore TB sapcer or a design like Powerdyne uses.

All of the TB spacers that supposedly swirl the air actually create turbulence and cause an annoying whisling noise which does nothing for performance or fuel economy.

Even the well designed TB spacers will only get you another 2-5 hp and 1-2 extra mpg. :?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:...I plan on buying the replacement plate from CFM Technologies and the throttle body spacer (Helix Power Tower)
That is exactly the combination I am using. No complaints. I have been known to whistle once in a while and some may find that annoying too ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You would be better off getting a smooth bore TB sapcer or a design like Powerdyne uses.

All of the TB spacers that supposedly swirl the air actually create turbulence and cause an annoying whisling noise which does nothing for performance or fuel economy.

Even the well designed TB spacers will only get you another 2-5 hp and 1-2 extra mpg. :?
I just like the appearance of the design of the Power Tower. :schwing: Maybe it won't help much maybe it will. Looks more promising than those with just thread-like internal bores. I have plenty of hp looking more for mileage gains. Only time I ever "power out" is in heavy-deep-gummy mud but then that's what Low 4x4 is for. BTW 1-2 mpg adds up pretty fast with the amount of driving I do.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Anybody get a true measured MPG increase with just a spacer on our trucks?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I'm planning on buying one from CFM so I could return to stock if so desired. I have wanted a throttle body spacer for a while but can't get one because I got a K&N FIPK so they don't fit together under the hood as I don't have a body lift or cowl hood. I figure 40$ isn't bad for a mod that might help w/ gas mileage. And I also have looked into it and I don't have the EGR system as its an '02? I could be misled but seems that way so I don't have to worry about limiting them or negatives to getting one without the diffuser. I just wanted to see a write up so I knew what I was getting into before I committed.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

04crewvt wrote:Anybody get a true measured MPG increase with just a spacer on our trucks?
On my 01 CC my mpg "average" increased 1.5 mpg after installing a Powerdyne TB spacer.

My results were always consistantly higher than before and ranged from 1-2 mpg overall.

At the time I was not stock and the mods at that time were a K&N FIPK, CFM Tech throttle blade, and a Flowmaster muffler.

Because of this my results might be different than a stock vehicle.

Overall I was happy with the Powerdyne TB spacer, but I will admit they are waaaay overpriced for what you get. :roll:

1/2 the price would be much better.

Steve
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I just installed the TD spacerand was very easy to install, I did have to dig up a spacer in my parts bin, but I may have missed something, but it all installed very nicely. I tested with now whistle noises (it is the non-whistle type). Felt like a bit more power, I'll know this week if I save any gas. If I gain 1-2, it'll be very much worth it.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

How bout the MAF kits? I see they are bout $300 (Ugh). Are they worth it? Save gas?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

quickbiker wrote:How bout the MAF kits? I see they are bout $300 (Ugh). Are they worth it?
No, dont waste your money! :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:........No, dont waste your money! :wink:

Steve
Just once, Steve, I wish would you just stop and not be afraid to say what you mean! :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

So I take it nobody has seen a writeup online how to change the blade? How about the other question does anybody know if my EGR system is unaffected by this mod because I have an 02?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:........No, dont waste your money! :wink:

Steve
Just once, Steve, I wish would you just stop and not be afraid to say what you mean! :wink:
Should I have explained my answer a little better? :?

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you are buying the CFM blade, it will come with instruction. :wink:

This is what I remember:

Remove the 2 torx screws from the throttle blade with the throttle closed.
Rotate throttle shaft 45 degrees (WOT) and remove throttle blade.
While holding throttle at 45 degrees (WOT), slide new blade into TB.
Apply some blue or green "light strength" threadlocker to both torx screws.
Return throttle blade to the closed position and install both torx screws, but do not fully tighten.
Open and close throttle while checking for binding.
If it does bind close the throttle, loosen the screws a little bit and move the blade just enough until it seats properly and check for smooth operation again.
In some cases it might be necessary to lighty sand the edges of the new throttle blade for proper fit.
When I did mine I had no problems and it went in good the first try.
Once everything works smoothly, tighten the screws and your done. :D

Steve
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

did you see a change (hp or torque)after changing your trotle blade?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well that seems easy enough. Just as long as I'm not an idiot and drop something down in haha! So is it true the EGR was changed for 02 and I don't need to do any sort of restrictions?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:..........So is it true the EGR was changed for 02 and I don't need to do any sort of restrictions?
To the best of my knowledge.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Green02crew; your 2002 isn't a freak, mine doesn't have an EGR either. So there is NOTHING EGR wise to be affected by the throttle blade mod.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Haha good to know! I tell it everyday its not a freak its just special. Thats what my parents always tell me.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

For those of you that installed a the 180* stat that live in cooler climates did you get the ses light or have to relocate the IAT?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did, after I installed the extra capacity radiator.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Had a 180 in for about a month. Haven't had a light and my IAT i in the same place. HOWEVER this may change when warmer weather comes back.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

quickbiker wrote:I tested with now whistle noises (it is the non-whistle type).
How do you know if your purchasing the "non-whistle type"??? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Smooth bore or vertical cuts. Spiral cuts tend to whistle.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I bought a TB spacer sometime last year and it has sat around b/c I was unable to install with my K&N prior to BL.

I had some time and wanted to install it yesterday, got everything on and tightened down and started up the truck to check things over.

I ran like Garbage!! I can't figure it out, the idle was rough and sparatic, RPM's would randomly spike and climb to over 2.5K, when I put the truck in gear the engine died.

I looked over all my connections, double ck'd my throttle position switch that I missed when I did my TB Blade removal and posted for help back then, everything looked good and tight b/w the spacer, the TB, and the K&N bracket.

Had a charity event last night and couldn't keep playing with it, so I took the spacer out and buttoned everything up, took the truck around the blocked as if nothing ever happened...

????

Did I miss something?

"04 Crew Cab, 4x4, FIPK - K&N, plugs, wires, summit distributor(including - cap and rotor)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Vacuum leak?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I was kinda leaning that way HJ. I'll be the first to say that I'm not that good with Vacumm leaks on newer cars, as odd as that sounds, I have been working on a 69 Cougar for 4 years, I can track down a problem or two there, but struggle with the newer ones.

What could be leaking in this scenario? Didn't get everything tighten down enough? I was afraid of stripping something if i went any tighter.

the TB Sapcer is a Trans- Dapt, I didn't add that earlier
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tighter is not always better. Make sure passages line up. Check surfaces to make sure they are true. Spraying some cleaner around the suspect areas and listening for a change in the engine while running can help narrow things down.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

Had time to try the TB spacer again today. Everything went on fine and I double checked my passages and gaskets to make sure everyting was on the up and up. I took the truck around the block and she ran well. On my way to my softball game today i threw a SES light. I held the battery terminals together for 30 secs to try to clear everything and it was back after i rehooked it.

Are we looking at another vacuum problem? Or sis I miss something on my install that would result in a emissions glitch and set the code?

what do you guys think?

PS, I dont have a reader to get the exact code right now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Stop by an auto parts store. They will usually read it for free. Check to make sure you didn't forget to plug something in good.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

Finally got to the autoparts store that had a code reader, someone has been stealing them from some stores... Threw codes P0171, 0174, 0442, all twice for 6 total. I took the TB spacer off and cleared the codes to see if it comes back. Would the spacer cause these or should I start looking elsewhere?
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Re: Throttle Blade, spacers and other intake mods talk

Post by nolag24 »

Very timely discussion. I performed the throttle blade mod 150 miles ago and my 03 CC threw a P0171 anbd P0174 code (Bank 1 and Bank 2 system too lean). Do you think they are the result of the mod?
2003 ZR-5, 30x9.50 Firestone AT, 1.25" Rear spacers, 1" TB Lift, 1.5" Rear shackle lift, Bilstein shocks, posi-lok system, Raider camper, spray on bedliner, vent visors, K&N Filter w/ air box and TB mod, ACCEL ignition.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

nolag24 wrote:Very timely discussion. I performed the throttle blade mod 150 miles ago and my 03 CC threw a P0171 anbd P0174 code (Bank 1 and Bank 2 system too lean). Do you think they are the result of the mod?
No. The the tb blade mod only increases airflow. The pcm will adjust the fuel delivery to match the added airflow. Maybe your pcm hasn't had enough time to recalibrate. Try clearing the code and see if it comes back.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

PGH04ZR5 wrote:...Threw codes P0171, 0174, 0442, all twice for 6 total. I took the TB spacer off and cleared the codes to see if it comes back. Would the spacer cause these or should I start looking elsewhere?
I think you should look elsewhere. You need to look up the "Evap Vent Valve" cleaning and repair. That might contribute to your codes?
nolag24 wrote:I performed the throttle blade mod 150 miles ago and my 03 CC threw a P0171 and P0174 code (Bank 1 and Bank 2 system too lean). Do you think they are the result of the mod?
Probably not.

You should both probably clean the MAFS and reset the ECM. Do either of you have EGR restrictors?
You might also consider the mileage and condition of the O2 sensors.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
LakeCable4x4
Regular
Regular

Post by LakeCable4x4 »

Alright I have to ask. I've been reading around about the FIPK and TBS and I was posting this just to make sure. Since my truck has the 2" BL it is possible to have a TBS with the FIPK due to the extra engine compartment space? and is there a certain TBS that works with the FIPK or is it not an issue?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It works. Been there, done that. I will say that after the third time of the hat coming loose, I ditched it for the stock turtle. I have had no problems since.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

With a 2"BL you can run any TB spacer with a K&N FIPK. Installing a TB spacer actually helps regain 1" of the 2" BL to help prevent misalignment problems with the intake system. I gained a solid 1 to 1.5 mpg after installing a Powerdyne TB spacer on my 01 cc which already had a FIPK. After 90k miles of use I never had the FIPK hat come loose.

Steve
LakeCable4x4
Regular
Regular

Post by LakeCable4x4 »

Sweet thanks!
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Post by nolag24 »

Original SES codes were P0171 anbd P0174 code (Bank 1 and Bank 2 system too lean). Solution was the dealer found a leaking vac line. I guess the vac system is tied to absolutely everything and should always be the first thing to check!

Thanks for all the help.
2003 ZR-5, 30x9.50 Firestone AT, 1.25" Rear spacers, 1" TB Lift, 1.5" Rear shackle lift, Bilstein shocks, posi-lok system, Raider camper, spray on bedliner, vent visors, K&N Filter w/ air box and TB mod, ACCEL ignition.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nolag24 wrote:Solution was the dealer found a leaking vac line.
Thanks for updating us. That may help someone else.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by npiper »

Hi, I just want to try to clear up something I was wondering about the Throttle Blade mod. I have a 2003 CC and I want to get the CFM throttle blade but I was reading about EGR problems? I don't think I have that system because it's an 03 but I want to make sure. Also I read something about the engine running lean on the front two cylinders with this mod? Is this true for my year? In your opinions is this a safe enough mod to do to my truck? Thanks guys.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It's a safe mod! The front 2 cylinders will not lean out and your 03 should not have an EGR system, so no problems there either. The EGR problems you read about are related to the (S10 Planet) EGR restrictor which reduces exhaust gasses being mixed back into the intake manifold.

Steve
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I've debated this mod for a while, but still haven't made up my mind one way or the other. I guess I may decide after I get my next two projects finished. Engine swap in an 03 Montana van, and brakes on the front of my 05 Equinox.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

rlrnr53 wrote:I've debated this mod for a while, but still haven't made up my mind one way or the other. I guess I may decide after I get my next two projects finished. Engine swap in an 03 Montana van, and brakes on the front of my 05 Equinox.
I just installed a Jet throttle body spacer in my truck a couple weeks ago. I could definitely see a slight improvement in gas mileage. I'm very satisfied and I say, do it.

The only problem is that the new bolt which attaches to the screw to keep the intake on, is NOT long enough. My intake is not screwed in (above the throttle body). However, it seems to stay put just fine.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44