radiator fan

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

radiator fan

Post by philippe »

i want to change my mecanical fan for a electric one.i red in a forum that i need a LS1 electric fan but i dont know what year,model,if i need the fan shround,thermostat, senser or someting else. :?: if some body can give wiring plans to know how to plug all that kit it will be very helpfull. :D THANKS.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

I just bought a twin fan setup by Fexalite but haven't gotten around to the install yet. Am hoping it will an easy switch to do.
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

thanks for fast reply.now a can start looking for parts.
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Not meaning to hijack this, but......

would the fan blade from a 2002 s-10 fit on the explorer/aerostar clutch? Being as the ford fan is an inch smaller but sits back an inch, wonder if the s-10 fan would work better on the ford clutch that is if it will physically fit mounting hole wise.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It would thread on the pump shaft, but the fan to clutch swap would not likely work.

The center of the ford fan looks smaller to me. Then you run into the whole problem of the depth.

I am afraid that the blades would hit the belt if it did bolt up.
I am not sure what you would gain from the swap anyway.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

It was just a question in my mind.

The thought was reducing the gap btwn the blades and the shroud to gain some cfm or at least not lose it to turbulence in the gap.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think the gains made by pulling it back would far outweigh the loss in diameter.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Anybody ever tried swapping out the rigid-clutch type fan blade for the old self-feathering flex-blade style?
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:Anybody ever tried swapping out the rigid-clutch type fan blade for the old self-feathering flex-blade style?
Not one of us. We sort of put a lot of stock in Bule's racing experience. No
we haven't tried the electric water pumps either. Sigh
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The clutch fan is awful hard to beat.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:The clutch fan is awful hard to beat.
Not to "down" the clutch fan I was just thinking how to increase air flow and eliminate some dead-zone in front of that big thermostatic control. Perhaps also a little of the noise from when that big plastic fan kicks in. :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

roadrunner wrote:Anybody ever tried swapping out the rigid-clutch type fan blade for the old self-feathering flex-blade style?
Not in this rig, but on my F150 that is sitting due to cost of fuel... It does help with cooling but sounds wicked. As you throttle up it winds up!

I used it in conjunction with an electric fan and a heavy duty radiator. I have to disconnect the electric in the fall.
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

i just bouth a chevrolet venture,it's a 3.4L and has double electric fan.it's a flex style blade and i thinking if it's puling ennough cfm for a 4.3L? I think it could be easyer to fit than a ls1 style.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I just replaced my Flex-A-Lite fans with SPAL fans. I'm using the Flex-A-Lite controller which has worked great.

I have been through 3 Flex-A-Lite fan assemblies because the fans kept getting loose, so I can't recommend that brand.
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Rockrz wrote:
I have been through 3 Flex-A-Lite fan assemblies because the fans kept getting loose, so I can't recommend that brand.
Well now that is not what I really wanted to hear, but --------too late. I aint' takin it out unless it burns. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be watching it.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yeah, my problem was the brass inserts into the plastic fan would waller out and the fan would get loose and start rubbing my radiator core.

I've got pictures at:
http://www.mys10truck.com/96/spal_efan.html

On the other hand, I've read numerous posts where guys have used Flex-A-Lite fans and haven't had any problems at all.

I'm liking my dual 11inch SPAL fan though. They seem to blow more air.

On my next truck, I'm getting the SPAL 12 inch fans because they have S blades. When I do that, I'll probably have to make my own shroud to mount them on, which shouldn't be too hard if I can find some large flat pieces of black automotive grade high performance plastic
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What model flex-a-lite fans did you get? Any chance the voltage is low and they are not running as fast as they could with a bigger alternator?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I had the Flex-A-Lite 400-210 dual fan assembly.

After running my new SPAL fans in stop and go traffic, I can tell you that the SPAL dual fans out perform the Flex-A-Lite as the SPAL fans move alot more air and keep the coolant cooler.

I'm still running the same stock alternator and all it does is show that it's going down slightly when I'm sitting still idling. The alternator has not given me any problems at all.

The problem I was having with the Flex-A-Lite fans were they are very poor quality (especially compared to the SPAL fans) as they aren't balanced very well causing vibration, and the brass inserts into the plastic fan material started coming apart, probably due to the excessive vibration.

These SPAL fans I'm using now have virtually zero vibration and the motors are much more powerful and more quiet compared to the Flex-A-Lite product.

My alternator didn't cause the Flex-A-Lite fans to be un-balanced and start coming apart. This condition was caused by a company that builds very poor quality products.

They must have their fans built in China or somewhere cause they suck pretty bad.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any pictures?

My only concern with needing a better alternator is to keep the voltage up at idle speeds and in return the fan speed would stay up to promote better cooling.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
all-gm

Post by all-gm »

Has anyone checked the milage before and after the fan swap?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock clutch fan is hard to beat. It is a pretty simple and direct transfer.

I saw little difference in fuel mileage. Any gains will be very small.
During the summer when the fans run the load is transferred to the alternator negating any real gains.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No gains with efans for me. My best mileage was with the stock fan.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
all-gm

Post by all-gm »

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear.
zr2offroad

Post by zr2offroad »

If you do this get the ls1 fan vs. the lt1 fan both will work but it looks like there is less hacking on the later model fan setup.

So yall think the alt. drag offsets the e fans? that sucks but still I really like mine if I could get the controller to work right. Mine was bad out of the box. Flex-o-lite is sending me a replacment free.

Hey for those of yall running the single/dual controller how much of a range are you seeing in the temps the fans kick on? Mine is damn near 30 deg. I thats why there sending me a new one but I just wander what your ecperiance is?