Column to Floor Shifter mod.

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Column to Floor Shifter mod.

Post by Torskdoc »

Was at the local Pick and Pull Sunday. Ive been looking for a floor shifter and console for my 2002 Crewcab for about 4 months. Sunday was a good day to be out, warm, dry, and had all the tools.

this Pick and Pull usually doesn't have anything newer than 8-9 years old. So looking around I find a 97 Jimmy and a 96 Blazer. So I look at both and got the console from the 97 ($18.00), the Shifter($15.00) and the cable($6.00) from the 96. All in good shape except the latch on the console was missing(BFD!). Plus the 6way pwr seat switch for the wife's Grand Am(out of an Alero) and an armrest for Dad's LeSabre the damage was $53.00. And to think the dude on E-bay motors wants $295 for the console assy. LOL!!

I got out Rlith's instructions from s10planet.com
( http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777 ) and Avtekk from s10forum
( http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f200/how- ... kup-56361/ ) and proceeded to change out.

Couple of items chenge. Due to mine being a 2002, the column was slightly different from his description. I didn't change out the column cover as both trucks had the columns missing already and I didn't get one.

1.) The Ignition Switch interlock (allows the key to go to lock position for removal) was left alone. I left the old shifter stub in the park position which holds it in position to allow removal of the key.

2.) The Brake/Shift interlock needs to be rewired. (I left it alone for now). Basically extend the wiring to the switch on the passenger side of the shifter stalk, and it'll work. Make sure the lever on the switch is there when you get the switch. It's an arm with a 90* angle and goes between the button on the side and the bottom of the shifter stalk.
The shifter moves like it's supposed to as I rigged the switch with a zip tie for right now.

On the Transmission end of the cable the connector has a I would call an extension on the one side. It is VERY IMPORTANT to install this correctly as it can/will disconnect at the most inoportune time. CORRECT POSITION is with the side extension AWAY FROM CENTERLINE toward the Drivers door. Basically the extension is BETWEEN the cable and the detent plate. The other way will NOT get a tight fit and the cable will be cockeyed.

To mount the baseplate use 1/4" x 1-1/2" lag screws. As this is a Early 2nd gen plate it needs to be flattened out.

The Console also needs trimming to fit FLAT on the floor/hump. Line up the two together-mark- and cut. The cuts will be mainly on the after end.

Use a couple of 5/16" fender washers to distribute the load better in the cup holders. One of the bottoms was rough and I put the washers in to keep them from splitting more. Paint them to match the color of the console.

So other than having to finish up the wiring, everything is in and working well. No binding and smooth. The shifter is about 1" taller than I like (resting arm on console, arm is angled up to rest hand on shifter.) So I may take my dremel and hand held grinder and remove an inch from the total height of the stalk and make the corresponding cuts for the handle.

It's been in for two days and I still unconciously grab for the column shifter. I do the same on wife's GA so maybe this mod will break me of that habit.

If you have a pick and pull and parts are cheap this is a good looking, cheap mod.
AND it looks FACTORY!!!

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Been thinking about doing this but haven't come up with the console/shifter yet. Don't have much access to salvage yards so will have to wait on one at ebay. One on there now from a Bravada but it has woodgrain on it an won't match my charcoal gray to good. That's a good witeup you mention above, I read it first over at Zr2USA.com. I suspose this is a not a very common mod but think I'll like it.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Have you seen my thread on the subject.
Mine is done so no one can tell it's not factory.
I ran into a snag with the new steering column, see the thread.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ight=floor
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Jim;

Thanks forthe thread. Changes for the column to be made shortly.

I did find a Bravada last week and got the trip computer out of it (the good one) along with the woodgrain console cover and the pass side switch plate cover. Now to find the driver side one. It had the tan interior so I passed on the seats for now. I may still get them(They were there y'day and dye them) Gotta find one with charcoal interior. Right now it looks like yours except for the column.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Yeah, nice thread Jim. Follow-up question---------Give me the scoop on the Bravada door panels? Old ones and new ones? Rear Bravadas fit a CC? If you did it, got any pics?
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

okie s10 wrote:Yeah, nice thread Jim. Follow-up question---------Give me the scoop on the Bravada door panels? Old ones and new ones? Rear Bravadas fit a CC? If you did it, got any pics?
I'm still looking for the rear 1995-97 panels. I will only use the top half and will need to be modified.
For now my truck dosn't match.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

okie s10
Don't have much access to salvage yards so will have to wait on one at ebay.
I run into the same problem. do you have any ideas beside e-bay?
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Well used parts are pretty much all internet for me, ebay, carparts.com. I'm rural and closest salvage yard 70 miles.
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Okie: Jim's reference to the rear door panels is the upper 1/2 panel (leather vs. cloth).

Went back to the Bravada today to get the cable (the 97 one I got went bad on the tranny end). The drivers door was cherry, BUT someone had knifed the side of the passenger door.

I DID find a 93 Blazer with BLACK Leather seats. Both in good shape. The Electric controls for the driver door is on the front of the seat. It's in the stock position. I might (thinking about it hard) get these.

Put it all together today (still have to do the column work), and finished the wiring. Tapped the brake light wire for the release solenoid as the connector that Jim showed up behind the hump next to the go pedal wasn't phased correctly. The looped pins were normally hot and went open when brake pedal pushed. Should have been opposite. So I pulled the brake switch out and tapped the wire for the lights downstream of the switch.

If you can get a 2000-01 BRAVADA boot vs a Blazer boot(any year). The Bravada boot looks to have an extra pleat at the lower end allowing slack in any position. It appears about 1/2" taller. The Blazer boot has a tendency to stretch in park/1st.

I'll post a couple of pics in my cardomain page in a couple of days.

I'm still trying to shift on the column unconciously.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Most important part...did you snag that good door panel insert for Jim? ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

The Bravada is a 2001. in tan. Haven't seen a dark charcoal one yet. He wants 95-97 panel. I'll keep an eye out tho.

Son is getting my dad's 95 Jimmy with Charcoal Leather interior and column shift. He's not happy aboutthe leather seats so I may be getting the seats out of it (straight swap). The rest isn't an option. I may be doing the floor shift on it too depending on what he wants.

Larry.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Ok Here's the pics of the Shifter.

Link to my page..... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2949154

They are the last two pics.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Jim

Post by Jim »

I have finally secured the rear door panels, or at least the upper sections. :D
I had to give $115 for the pair shipped, off Ebay
You can see they have two strips of sewing but they will match the front close enough :)
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

I got the panels today. I removed the upper sections and will post the steps to install them soon.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Torskdoc wrote:Ok Here's the pics of the Shifter.

Link to my page..... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2949154

They are the last two pics.
What kind of wood trim do you have on the dash there in that last pic?
Got some other pics of it?
Does it match the Bravada trim?
Best Regards, Jim
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

One of those adshesive backed flat kits. Cost was about 135.00 Image this is the same kit for blazers.
http://www.edashkit.com/store/p/739-2-4 ... -Pcs-.html The shift console is Bravada.

The Kit covers dash, both front doors (switch and door handle areas) vent outlets, and overhead console. The "B" kit doesn't cover the console.

Color was Walnut Burl. Matches pretty good. The surrounds on the door switches only cover the part from the switch to the door panel, and the handle cover covers the back side. Also get 2 pieces to surround the window switches on the back doors. I'm happy with it. Just wish the rear handles were included, but then again they are using a blazer kit.

The overhead console pieces fit real nice. You have to be real careful lining them up and getting them just right to allow the doors on the console to open without interference.

You can get them in just about any color in wood grain, carbon fiber, or just plain solid colors.

Your door panels look good.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Jim

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:
okie s10 wrote:Yeah, nice thread Jim. Follow-up question---------Give me the scoop on the Bravada door panels? Old ones and new ones? Rear Bravadas fit a CC? If you did it, got any pics?
I'm still looking for the rear 1995-97 panels. I will only use the top half and will need to be modified.
For now my truck dosn't match.
Finished Now :D
95-97 Rears fit but need to be trimed (top section only to be used) newer ones don't work the door handle is at a different location.
98-2001 Front no mods just install :D
Best Regards, Jim