Multiple spark / capactive ignition systems

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Anyone ever heard of this? I know I haven't am I'm wondering if it is complete BS.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory: ... Pulse_Plug
From the same people that make the scangauge I think.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

green02crew wrote:Anyone ever heard of this? I know I haven't am I'm wondering if it is complete BS.
at $25 a spark plug that gets expensive real quick :shock:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:Anyone ever heard of this? I know I haven't am I'm wondering if it is complete BS.
Keep an eye on this thread: ZR2USA.com - Pulse Plugs - 20,000 times the power WHOA!,

pulstarplug.com I am pretty sure they have no connection to scangauge.com

Looks to me like small multiple spark discharge / capacitive discharge units.
I spent less for my MSD ignition control box. It will not wear out and be discarded. If it fails I can by pass it. Sparkplugs can be replaced and I still have the ignition control.
Little if any gain in mileage over a well tuned system. It would take a very long time to recover the investment.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I found this link from the scangauge website. I was drooling and looking at some other things and this just came up. On this plug site if you look on the left it says for sale and lists the scangauge. Maybe they just advertise for each other but I think they're tied in together somehow. I guess most big businesses are somehow anyways but if they are it could have more validity.

I do think it would be similar to the MSD but I was thinking the same thing as you, they are spark plugs so they will just wear out eventually. By the way does the MSD burn through caps and rotors a little faster? One of my friends has one and said he goes through a set a year.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:I found this link from the scangauge website. I was drooling and looking at some other things and this just came up. On this plug site if you look on the left it says for sale and lists the scangauge.
This is the site you linked : http://peswiki.com
I think it is an energy systems encyclopedia. All sorts of stuff linked from there, but not the same company. I find no link from the Linear-Logic website. The home offices are in different sates. I have talked with the owner of Linear-Logic and it is a pretty small company right now. They are working toward additions to their gauge, but I don't feel that they have other products on there radar right now.

I think that you will consume contacts due to the greater transfer that occurs. It tends to mask a poor system better though. I buy high quality parts and maybe that helps them last a little longer. I have only replaced my cap once , maybe twice? in the last seven years IIRC.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I've went to the aforementioned websites and read what they had to say. In my opinion this just a high resistance plug similiar to making the spark jump from a wire held away from the plug. The spark will be hotter and faster but the drawback is the voltage and amperage surge you put on the rest of the ignition parts. In my experience wires, caps, rotors and coils tend to fail more rapidly with these types of plugs. The are akin to the old "booster-gap adapters" that fit between the plug and wire sold many years ago.
Keep in mind the principal benefit of an MSD or similiar multi-spark system is not how long or how hot the spark is. Although they do tend to put out more secondary energy. The main benefit is they actually fire each plug more than once on each power cycle. Happens very quickly to be sure but does happen. This can be proven on an ocilloscope with visual display. I have observed engines at idle firing as high as five spikes per cycle and reducing to three per cycle as rpms reach upper limits of engine operational range.
Benefits on fuel injected engines will not be all that great or noticeable but on older carbureted engines improvements can be quite dramatic. I remember really "waking up" some of those older lean running Chrysler products years ago. All but eliminated all their touchy choke and stumbly cold start operations. Just an FYI based on past experience.
By the way the new MSD systems and most other quality units are now digital instead of analog like their predecessors. Benefit: digital only draws about 10% as many amps to operate system as analog. :)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Anyone seen the MSD StreetFire line. Looks like prices are pretty decent. Under $200 with wiring harness and to your door. What benefit would the 6al have over this?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I took a quick look/comparison and noted the Street-Fire line is a little lacking in specs compared to the 6AL. Most notably there is a lower output voltage to the coil and a resulting lower secondary supply rate. Both are analog but there is a difference in operational draw current. The Street-Fire is more compact if space is a problem. Other than that they both are rev-limited and I can see little other differences. I have used the 6a/al before and it is a good dependable unit. Can't speak to the Street-Fire due to lack of personal experience.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I found the StreetFire at Autozone today for only $146. Not too bad, guess I'll order that and the harness. Considering the 6al is $220 the StreetFire is cheap. It is also much more compact and most likely will run at lower temps and require less power. Might be a nice add on.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

When installing an MSD ignition does it require anything special to hook up the tach? or anything else for that matter?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:........ does it require anything special to hook up the tach? ..........
If it is that similar to the 6AL, NO! Plug and play! Again, my best mpg was before most of my mods. No "seat of the pants" hp gain with this mod and maybe a smoother idle.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

So is it worth the purchase?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:So is it worth the purchase?
I do not think so Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Sometimes it does not start right away, I actually have to touch the gas a bit. So this may be a good add to turn over quicker. I cannot justify paying a lot of money but I have found the new Street Fire for $180 shipped with the harness. That might be worth it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sounds more like lack of fuel at startup than lack of spark. You might want to check out your TPS and dlean your MAF. JMOP.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well it could be but it happens more when it is damp out as well so that why I am leaning towards electrical. And by damp I mean after torrential downpours.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

New plug wires lately? Possible arcing out on the coil secondary tower? Perhaps attack ignition secondary wiring and external cap etc with hairspray or ignition sealer.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor within 8mo. good idea on the hairspray though I had forgotten about that one.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Try taking a spray bottle of water and selectively squirting ignition components under the hood with a warm engine and listen for mis-fire or stumbles. That's how I've found many problems like this in the past.

Addition: With engine running.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:New plugs, wires, cap, rotor within 8mo.......................
Mine corroded up in 6 months of replacement. Pop that cap and take a look. Don't be so quick to rule it out.

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

wow that does not look good for after 6 months at all, was the cause moisture from the clogged vents?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:..................... was the cause moisture from the clogged vents?
Yep
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have a gray tach wire coming from my MSD box. Is this needed to hook up to anything? I have the GM 8877 harness and seems really easy to hook up other than knowing where to put the tach. And I guess the magnetic pickup purple and green wires are not used?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The tach output is for adding an aftermarket tach. The Green and Violet wires are for a magnetic trigger. Not needed in this application.

MSD Support files.PDF

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Awesome thank you. All set up and working!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
ncstatered21

Post by ncstatered21 »

I saw these on horsepower tv. they installed them into a mustang gt and had a significant increase in hp and torque. pretty good for just changing the spark plugs.