exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

exhaust

Post by grumpybcone6 »

I have a 2003 ZR5 V6 4.3 and i would like to put an exhaust on it to make it sound like a V8 or cloes to it. I like the deep sound of a exhaust. Which brand should i use??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is nothing that will make it sound like a V-8. I feel that the depth of sound is related to the size of the pipe. Kind of like the difference between a tuba and a coronet. The same amount of air is passed, but the larger pipe has a deeper range. Each system can have it's own dynamics and each piece can change the overall tone.

It is much the same as any brass instrument. Length, diameter, and muffling devices change the sound. Press the keys on a trumpet to lengthen the pipe and change the sound. Change the size of the pipe to a tuba and the tone deepens, Add a large bell for a tip, like the flugel horn or smaller one like a coronet. The sound changes again.

Your exhaust is much the same.

There are lots of threads on exhaust, and even a few with sound clips. Do some searching and see what you think might work for you. Don't be afraid to revive an old thread with new questions.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

I would like something that sounds a little bit deeper if i can get it that way...sounds good but fully what i am looking for
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Run a 3" pipe with no muffler and have 3.5" outlet tips on it and you'll get a deeper sound. Mine was deeper when I had 3.5" tips on it
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

Thanks...i have been told to put a flowmaster on it...but when i looked them up there are so many out there i just didnt know whcih flowmaster on. i wish there was a way i can "test drive" them on my truck to fig out which one i want...lol
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think a 3" cat back , delta flow muffler and 4" tip is the way to go. Mine is a Flowmaster knock off and has been serving me well.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

i also have been told that if i want to put an exhaust on i also have to do a cold air intake... true?? i really dont want the exhaust for more power (just sound really) but if it can help on gas that would be great also
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I also have a flowmaster knockoff and the sound is fine and so far its held up to 2 winters in the salt so I can't complain. I thought I'd only get 1 out of it!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

grumpybcone6 wrote:i also have been told that if i want to put an exhaust on i also have to do a cold air intake... true??
False.
Best bang for the buck is to mod your stock air box. Factory air box and modified headlight support

Do some research if you intend to buy a cold air system. AEM or a cheap ebay intake may be a good choice.

Personally I wish I had stuck with the modded stock box. I would be money and performance ahead.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

what does a cold air intake fully do to a truck??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Reduces restriction to let it breathe. Same as the exhaust. We already have cold air intakes.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

well thats a good thing on my part... i think exhaust is what i am asking for for my bday... now its just a matter of which brand i will go with.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Visit your local shops. Ask the Streetrodders where they go. Leave the pipe up a little high if you plan to do a body lift later. Best bet is to do the lift first , then the exhaust. Just to be sure it turns out , just right.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
grumpybcone6 wrote:i also have been told that if i want to put an exhaust on i also have to do a cold air intake... true??
False.
Best bang for the buck is to mod your stock air box. Factory air box and modified headlight support

Do some research if you intend to buy a cold air system. AEM or a cheap ebay intake may be a good choice.

Personally I wish I had stuck with the modded stock box. I would be money and performance ahead.
Listen to experience! I have wasted a conservative $500 on this ghost. If, you have money to burn then go for it. Follow Brule's links and do, the factory mod and you will be $200 closer to an expensive modification that you really want. IMO
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Anybody know where you can buy a peice that goes from the mass aif flow directly to the intake that is smoother and more treamed than stock?

Seems like that would also be beneficial to help air more quicker.

Anybody ever seen anything like this, without having to buy a complete cold air intake kit?

I cut out the front then of my stock air box, so I'm good from there up to the mass aif flow
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

exhaust

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i have a 02 somoma with a flowmaster 40series with 3 inch tips....gives u a fairly deep tone for a v6
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:..............................................................Listen to experience! I have wasted a conservative $500 on this ghost. If, you have money to burn then go for it. Follow Brule's links and do, the factory mod and you will be $200 closer to an expensive modification that you really want. IMO
I dunno, sometimes I just question why even bother :?:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]