Tailgate mod to carry 4 wheeler

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tailgate mod to carry 4 wheeler

Post by Old_MXer »

I am thinking about doing a mod to my tailgate that would allow me to carry my Suzuki Vinson 500 quad in the bed of my CC and need a few opinions. My idea is to get another tailgate and reinforce it and lengthen it. With the tailgate down, I will be adding about a foot to the length and will replace the cables with actual chain. My concerns are whether the tailgate mounts will support the extra weight, and whether the sides of the bed will support the extra weight since that is where the chains will be anchored (to the original cable mounting points.) I want to be able to install and remove the modified tailgate when needed, so nothing permanent can be done to the CC. I am also going to be upgrading the rear suspension with the Boise SW mod. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

the only problem i see you may have is the hindges are to weak for that. i already have replaced mine once and need to again. the cause has been from to much weight on the tailgate. there are places that sale a brace that mounts from the hitch.
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Does this brace help support the tailgate? That would help at the end of the tailgate, but would you still have the extra weight on the hinges. Maybe I could extend the bottom of the tailgate and let it rest in the bed for more hinge support. Or I could just give in and get a full size truck!
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

just let down your stock tailgate??? thats what I do to fit my z400 in the back :lol:
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

purduecrew wrote:just let down your stock tailgate??? thats what I do to fit my z400 in the back :lol:
I really haven't tried yet, I was afraid of bending my tailgate. How close to the edge of the tailgate do your rear wheels sit. I checked the specs on both our quads and your wheelbase is 49.0" and mine is 50.0", the big difference is your dry weight is 370 lbs and mine is 605 lbs. I also have a YZ250F that I haul in the back now, but I have to load it crossways and the rear wheel sits on the very edge of the tailgate. I have visions of my tailgate cables snapping and my bike sliding down the highway in a shower of sparks and melted plastic! :cry:
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

i did the suport that we plug in the hitch and i did that in two pieces to be able to put a long section that come to the same high to the roof rail. than i can suport long piece of wood or boat.
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

Old_MXer wrote:
purduecrew wrote:just let down your stock tailgate??? thats what I do to fit my z400 in the back :lol:
I really haven't tried yet, I was afraid of bending my tailgate. How close to the edge of the tailgate do your rear wheels sit. I checked the specs on both our quads and your wheelbase is 49.0" and mine is 50.0", the big difference is your dry weight is 370 lbs and mine is 605 lbs. I also have a YZ250F that I haul in the back now, but I have to load it crossways and the rear wheel sits on the very edge of the tailgate. I have visions of my tailgate cables snapping and my bike sliding down the highway in a shower of sparks and melted plastic! :cry:

haha well i have bounced my quad on the tailgate with no issues. i broke my cables once when me and my roomate were loading a new 4ft pto driven box tiller into the bed. we were all on the tailgate at a total weight of probably 700 pounds. I dont think the vinson, adding another 120 pounds would hurt it at all. afterall, i have had the atv in the truc, the ramp on the tailgate, and a riding mower up the ramp to scrape out the deck, with no problems.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
sparky

Re: Tailgate mod to carry 4 wheeler

Post by sparky »

stock tailgate works fine for my wheeler have a honda rubcon olny problem i had was be for i put air bags in the rear for heavy loads it squat real bad
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You do know that there is something that is a tad short of a recall on the tail gate cables?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Why not just get a trailer. That's what I'm doing in a few months. Should be picking up my grizzly 700 Eps tommorow.
nintendoninja

Post by nintendoninja »

saw this while surfing google for a bumper...

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That truck was the 2003 SEMA crew cab. Holy Poop (2003 SEMA crew)
Barch scanned the article.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK